Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Darren McFadden and the Cincinnati Bengals

Re: Darren McFadden and the Cincinnati Bengals

What did NE trade in order to secure SF's #1 pick?

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Bengals' need at least one "good" LB in the worst sort of way, currently they have none. And their 0-line is a mess, and they'll most likely lose Justin Smith at DE (hopefully).

I take the best LB/OT/G or DT/DE on the board, or trade down for an extra 1st round pick.

They can win with Watson/Rudi/Dorsey/Irons, if the o-line is performing up to snuff. Perry is finished much like Odell and Pollack.

How do you know Perry is finished? Is that official?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    What did NE trade in order to secure SF's #1 pick?
    In the 2007 draft, the Patriots traded the 28th selection in the draft to the 49ers who selected OT Joe Staley. In return, the Patriots got the 49ers fourth round pick in 2007 and San Francisco’s first round pick in 2008.

Whoops.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    The Bengals' need at least one "good" LB in the worst sort of way, currently they have none. And their 0-line is a mess, and they'll most likely lose Justin Smith at DE (hopefully).
    Dhani Jones has played exceptionally well ever since he came over here. If Ahmad Brooks can stay on the field next year, he can be an absolute beast. Couple them with Landon Johnson (who plays solidly week in and week out), and you have 3 guys capable of getting the job done. While they aren't ideal, our 1st rounder shouldn't be used on a LBer.

The much more pressing need on this team is on the D-line. They desperately need a monster DT (a Casey Hampton game changer type), and a pass rushing DE that can consistently get pressure on the QB. Not necessarily 15 sacks a season, but enough penetration so that guys like JP Losman and Damon Huard aren't carving up our secondary.

Games are won and lost in the trenches, and the sooner the Bengals' coaching staff abides by that truism, the sooner our defense will stop being the joke that it is.

Is Jones under contract for next year? I'd say some team will give him a multi-year deal which the Bengals shouldn't. Landon figure's to get paid as well. I like E. Henderson coming back but the Bengals only have a couple linebackers under contract for next year. I'd love to have any USC defender, they play with the speed and energy the Bengals need.
    Visit your local Psychiatrist, There may not be bugs crawling on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Dhani Jones has played exceptionally well ever since he came over here. If Ahmad Brooks can stay on the field next year, he can be an absolute beast. Couple them with Landon Johnson (who plays solidly week in and week out), and you have 3 guys capable of getting the job done. While they aren't ideal, our 1st rounder shouldn't be used on a LBer.

The much more pressing need on this team is on the D-line. They desperately need a monster DT (a Casey Hampton game changer type), and a pass rushing DE that can consistently get pressure on the QB. Not necessarily 15 sacks a season, but enough penetration so that guys like JP Losman and Damon Huard aren't carving up our secondary.

Games are won and lost in the trenches, and the sooner the Bengals' coaching staff abides by that truism, the sooner our defense will stop being the joke that it is.
    Excellent post!
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    Most mock drafts have the Bengals taking DT Sedrick Ellis from USC or James Laurinaitis.
    I think it will be either of these two or Chris Long, the DE from Virginia (and Howie's son). I wouldn't be shocked if the Dolphins went QB and the Patriots traded down with the Cowboys, who will then grab McFadden. If that's the case and Dorsey slides to #3, I would love for the Bengals to trade up and grab him. Otherwise, I'd be content with Ellis, Long, or Laurinitis.

Dorsey or Ellis would address the Bengals' biggest need. Chris Long would be the long term replacement for Justin Smith. Laurinitis would be the 4th guy I'd take because ILB is less of a need with Brooks, Jones, and Thurman hopefully all returning.
    Last edited by Benihana; 12-11-2007 at 07:30 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

New England will take McFadden with the 2nd overall pick.

The Bengals will draft Ellis, Gholston, Phillips, Laurenitis/Connor (I hope not), or an O-lineman (Otah/ Clady)

I think drafting an RB in the first round is a foolish pick. RBs tend to be overrated. A decent RB can become a great one with a good OL, but even great RBs aren't going to do much with a bad OL.

I personally think the Bengals must focus their energies in this draft on Defensive Front 7 and OL. Screwball mentioned Dhani Jones, but I honestly don't expect him do maintain his level of performance over the next season. I think he's better as special teams captain and spelling other LBs. Ahmad Brooks could be good if he can stay healthy, but that leaves the Bengals in that same position of wishing and hoping that some injured guy is going to live up to his potential. So if they draft LB, I won't be too upset. If Brooks comes back and plays to his potential, they'll have a solid LB corps. If not, they've got a solid LB corps. I'd also like to see DL as the first pick because that's another area of great need.

OL wouldn't be too bad either. Like many folks, I thought the Bengals were smart to let Steinbach go and keep Justin Smith. I figured Whitworth could handle the job and Ghiachec would do fine in place of Braham. Foolish mortal I am. As much as I didn't like Steinbach's occasional lapses that led to Carson Palmer sacks, he is a tremendous pulling guard and was essential in springing Rudi Johnson for more yards than he can get on his own. Even if those two firm up, it's looking like they're going to need help at both tackle positions sooner rather than later.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

To add to your thought, Yacht: How bad does the Willie extension look in light of what we could have had with Steinbach? We kept the wrong player. Personally, I thought they should have traded Justin Smith for whatever they could get for him, possibly a 2nd or 3rd round pick. A high motor doesn't matter if you can't pressure the quarterback. Doh.

I live in Detroit, and trust me, drafting skill positions (position of strength) when your weakness is in the trenches is a bad idea...

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    New England will take McFadden with the 2nd overall pick.
    That would shock me more than anything the Pats have ever done.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    That would shock me more than anything the Pats have ever done.
    Why? Who do you have them taking?

Darren McFadden is the best running back to come out since LaDainian Tomlinson, period.

The Bengals running game is in shambles with a ton of question marks. The offense right now is very explosive, could you imagine if Palmer had McFadden in the backfield?

I think McFadden to NE isnt the lock that people think. The linebackers are getting older and Laurianitis could make an impact there. They could trade down and stockpile more picks and add veteran players.

If I am Cincinnati, I am looking at adding players to make a switch to a 3-4 defense. If Sedrick Ellis is there, take him.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?