Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the Reds #15 Prospect?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Scott Carroll

0 0%
  • Chris Dickerson

4 5.19%
  • Juan Francisco

19 24.68%
  • Rafael Gonzalez

0 0%
  • Sean Henry

0 0%
  • Evan Hildenbrandt

1 1.30%
  • Sam Lecure

2 2.60%
  • Marcus McBeth

2 2.60%
  • Tyler Pelland

5 6.49%
  • Adam Rosales

3 3.90%
  • Jordan Smith

0 0%
  • Neftali Soto

12 15.58%
  • Craig Tatum

0 0%
  • Daryl Thompson

7 9.09%
  • Justin Turner

2 2.60%
  • Chris Valaika

1 1.30%
  • Pedro Viola

6 7.79%
  • Brandon Waring

13 16.88%
  • Other (Please Specify)

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Redszone Community Prospect Vote #15

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Redszone Community Prospect Vote #15

Vote for the player who you think is the Reds #15 prospect (the best prospect who is not yet on the list). We will go with this as far as you guys want to take it.

I will post a new list every 2 days with 10-15 options to vote on.

If you feel like making an argument on why a guy should be voted here, feel free to vote and state why you voted for that player.

If there is someone that is not currently listed as an option to vote on, vote for 'other' then just state who you want to vote for in the thread.

If there is anyone you would like to see as an option on the next poll, just say so and if they garner enough support, they will be placed on the next poll. Guys with the lowest amount of votes will usually be removed for the next few guys who were talked about in the previous thread.

Prospect 1 - Jay Bruce
    Prospect 2 - Homer Bailey
    Prospect 3 - Johnny Cueto
    Prospect 4 - Joey Votto
    Prospect 5 - Todd Frazier
    Prospect 6 - Drew Stubbs
    Prospect 7 - Matt Maloney
    Prospect 8 - Josh Roenicke
    Prospect 9 - Travis Wood
    Prospect 10 - Devin Mesoraco
    Prospect 11 - Kyle Lotzkar
    Prospect 12 - Danny Dorn
    Prospect 13 - Sean Watson
    Prospect 14 - Carlos Fisher

Re: Redszone Community Prospect Vote #15

Neftali Soto. Dude can rake.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Sorry for taking so long to get this up, I finally got my laptop today (DHL shipped it to the wrong place.... I am not to pleased with them at the moment) and have been setting it up and getting all of my programs onto it before my trip this weekend, so it took me a while to make it to redszone today and get this thing going.

Went with Neftali Soto again for the 6th straight poll. Love his upside. Has a good approach to the plate and I love his power potential.

Francisco again. 25 homers, 90 ribbies, A-ball, at 19-20. Considering his youth and production, he's the clear guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Francisco again. 25 homers, 90 ribbies, A-ball, at 19-20. Considering his youth and production, he's the clear guy.
    I would guess his lack of plate discipline is what's holding him back in most people's eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I would guess his lack of plate discipline is what's holding him back in most people's eyes.
    It eliminates him as far as I'm concerned.

I went with Soto based on upside.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

47 Homeruns in 132 games. Brandon Waring.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    47 Homeruns in 132 games. Brandon Waring.
    He had only five less HR than Francisco did in half of the at bats and only a level lower. .369 OBP% vs. .301 as well.

He had only five less HR than Francisco did in half of the at bats and only a level lower. .369 OBP% vs. .301 as well.
    He could join Francisco in that category if he doesn't cut back the K's. When it comes to the only thing that makes these guys intriguing, raw power, it looks like Waring is outshining Francisco at the moment, but scouts seem to dig Francisco, and if they felt the same way about Waring, he wouldn't have slipped so far in the draft. Just me speculating though. It's tough to tell at this point who has the edge. Hopefully BA can shed some light on the subject in the Prospect Handbook this year.

Quote Originally Posted by HBP View Post
    Waring is a college player, Francisco is younger and still played at a higher level.

Doug, next round Derrick Lutz, please. And thanks for doing the polls.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-12-2007 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Francisco is younger and still played at a higher level.
    Honestly, if you're devoid of OB skills, and Francisco is, I don't care how old you are, where you played or what other skills you've got.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Honestly, if you're devoid of OB skills, and Francisco is, I don't care how old you are, where you played or what other skills you've got.

I guess I don't understand that argument. A player like Francisco, who started last season at A ball at 19 years old, undoubtedly can improve his strike zone judgment and on base skills.

When a hitter is so productive as Francisco was, just project modest improvement in on base skills. He hit 25 homers now, these numbers could be extraordinary with such a modest improvement.

The question here is not who is the best player currently, but the best prospect. When a guy shows the power Francisco has, at his tender age, and has a great throwing arm, I think he is a pretty good prospect.

Ty Pelland.

Potential impact set-up lefty. Since he's been rightfully turned into a reliever, he's seen a great increase in his K's, and at the same time his control has been way better. Clearly the lack of arsenal held him back as a starter, but can still make him effective out of the pen. He profiles IMO, as a 9+ K/9 in the majors, and should pair nicely with Bray as 2 effective lefties that can play near the end of the game. Basically major league ready to boot after his success in AAA.

IMO, he's already bypassed Coutlangus as the second best lefty reliever in the organization, and with a strong camp, I fully expect that he can win a job in the pen. So fair upside for a reliever, plus major league ready makes him a pretty undervalued prospect IMO.

I'm going again with a player that has produced on the field. I voted Turner. A grinder that knows how to compete. He might not project as well as some of these others guys but he knows how to play the game. He has put up some pretty good offensive numbers in his first 2 seasons.

[PHP]PHP Code:
    PO AG NAME AB HR AVG OBP SLG SB
    2B 27 Luis Bolivar 2208 37 269 321 398 109
    SS 25 Paul Janish 1384 25 263 355 381 32
    2B 24 Drew Anderson 1634 25 259 327 400 49
    ?? 24 Michael Griffin 1140 18 285 327 412 28
    SS 21 Jose Castro 810 2 262 320 309 14
    2B 24 Michael Dejesus 965 8 251 368 315 25
    2B 23 Justin Turner 717 16 317 383 460 24
    2B 22 Chris Valaika 792 20 298 353 458 3
    SS 22 Zach Cozart 184 2 239 288 332 3
    SS 18 Neftali Soto 152 2 303 355 454 2[/PHP]

It came down to Viola, Pelland, and Soto for me, and I decided to go with Pedro Viola based on the impressive hit rate (only 55 hits in 82.1 innings) to go along with 30 bb/90 k.

Turn Off Ads?