Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the Reds #15 Prospect?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Scott Carroll

0 0%
  • Chris Dickerson

4 5.19%
  • Juan Francisco

19 24.68%
  • Rafael Gonzalez

0 0%
  • Sean Henry

0 0%
  • Evan Hildenbrandt

1 1.30%
  • Sam Lecure

2 2.60%
  • Marcus McBeth

2 2.60%
  • Tyler Pelland

5 6.49%
  • Adam Rosales

3 3.90%
  • Jordan Smith

0 0%
  • Neftali Soto

12 15.58%
  • Craig Tatum

0 0%
  • Daryl Thompson

7 9.09%
  • Justin Turner

2 2.60%
  • Chris Valaika

1 1.30%
  • Pedro Viola

6 7.79%
  • Brandon Waring

13 16.88%
  • Other (Please Specify)

0 0%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Redszone Community Prospect Vote #15

Re: Redszone Community Prospect Vote #15

It looks like Waring is finally getting some votes.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    His HR count was high but look at his OPS. His SLG wasn't stellar because when he wasn't hitting homers, he wasn't doing much of anything.

His ISO was .192. Valaika was at .186 while hitting .300 and playing a tougher defensive position. But Chris hasn't garnered a single vote in this poll. I'll grant the age difference.

However, I think there are guys on this list who have shown more than just power and a nice defensive arm who deserve to go ahead of him.
    I think "just power" is more important for a position player than a lot of other skills. I can understand not naming Francisco in the top ten, but at 15 I don't see anyone who deserves it more. And the 90 RBI is meaningful to me, it shows Francisco, at least last year, was capable of knocking guys in even without the home run.

By the way, I think Valaika should get consideration soon despite his hitting woes at Sarasota.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-12-2007 at 05:56 PM.

Fransisco reminds me too much of Brandon Larson with less contact. As for the RBI, I give him absolutely no credit for how many guys were or were not on base when he got his hits. His RBI rate was almost identical in the GCL when he hit .280/.305/.407 with 3 HR in 182 AB.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Fransisco reminds me too much of Brandon Larson with less contact.
    He's Tony Blanco.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Not that I would vote for him yet but should Sergio Valenzuela be added to the mix on account of the Rule 5 Status?

I suppose he would qualify, but would he actually get a vote over anyone on this list?

Fransisco reminds me too much of Brandon Larson with less contact. As for the RBI, I give him absolutely no credit for how many guys were or were not on base when he got his hits. His RBI rate was almost identical in the GCL when he hit .280/.305/.407 with 3 HR in 182 AB.
    Like M2 said, Juan Francisco reminds me a little of Tony Blanco. I'd compare Waring to Brandon Larson. I think the real test will come when he goes against better breaking balls.

I dont think comparing Waring to Larson is fair, did Larson ever hit 50 homers in one year?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I'd compare Waring to Brandon Larson. I think the real test will come when he goes against better breaking balls.
    I think you've nailed it.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    I dont think comparing Waring to Larson is fair, did Larson ever hit 50 homers in one year?
    No, but neither has Waring.

If you add his college and pro numbers together last year he hit 47, though I'm not sure how comparable those numbers really are.

I don't understand the lack of support for Chris Dickerson. I see a Mike Cameron ceiling. If he just duplicates his AAA numbers he could be a valuable 4th OF for the Reds this year with the potential to start in the future.. It's not as if the Reds are loaded with CF prospects either(Stubbs, who else?).
    Last edited by Stingray; 12-13-2007 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    If you add his college and pro numbers together last year he hit 47, though I'm not sure how comparable those numbers really are.
    Larson hit 40 his final year at LSU. It's close but I'm not sure how comparable those numbers are either.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    I don't think that's fair. It's like asking, "Did Waring ever go to a World Series?" For what it's worth, Brandon Larson hit 40 homeruns in 352 plate appearances in 1997 (his last year at LSU plus his first year in the minor leagues). This year, Brandon Waring hit 47 homeruns in 553 plate appearances. If you want to count on that as a way to judge a hitter, Brandon Larson is the much better hitter. Of course that's ridiculous, and at this juncture, I'd even say that Waring is a better prospect than Larson ever was. Still, the homerun is as good of a way to judge a baseball player as batting average or ERA.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
    I don't understand the lack of support for Chris Dickerson. I see a Mike Cameron ceiling. If he just duplicates his AAA numbers he could be a valuable 4th OF for the Reds this year with the potential to start in the future.. It's not as if the Reds are loaded with CF prospects either(Stubbs, who else?).
    The difference in Cameron and Dickerson is an alledged slow bat on Dickerson's part. And if that's the case Chris wouldn't likely hit well enough to take advantage of his patience. I think they really have different reasons for having similiar issues.

Cameron's high K's = Bad Bat control

Dickerson's high K's = Slow bat speed

I am not positive that Cameron's problem is bad bat control just speculation off the top of my head breaking down his game in my mind's eye. It could be pitch recognition as well. However if it's not the above it's something else, because it's certainly not slow bat speed (at least it wasn't in his prime).

It's been discussed that Dickerson does however have poor bat speed and that is like kryptonite to a MLB player as it might be one of the more important talent's to have at the plate. If you have it you can make up for some other defiencies in your game. If you don't guy's can easily keep you off their "slower stuff" by merely mixing up their fastball plenty. Sure anyone can get lucky but not consistently enough to be worth taking up a very limited roster, where it takes all 25 men to win.

Now I am basing all this on what other's have said so take that FWIW it may or not be accurate however I think to answer your question it's a perception of Dickerson at least here. And we all know that perception can be reality when you aren't the one with all the facts to go on. And if that's not the answer to your question for everybody then I don't know what the answer is because it's his only flaw IMO, what a shame.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?