Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 yr old Crockett Descendant kills bear

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

5 yr old Crockett Descendant kills bear

All I can say is wow, let's just hope this kid understands and appreciates gun safety and the use of common sense! Click on the link for video.

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/h...ory?id=3150157

5-year-old descendant of Davy Crockett kills bear
    Tre Merrit bags 445-pound black bear while hunting with grandfather

By Heather Crawford
    Updated: December 11, 2007, 5:43 PM ET

5-year-old kills 445-pound bear. Courtesy of KATV Little RockDEWITT, Ark. — A 5-year-old Arkansas County boy killed a black bear Sunday weighing more than 400 pounds.

Tre Merritt, a descendant of Davy Crockett, was hunting with his grandfather Mike Merritt when a black bear happened upon their stand.

"His 10th great-grandfather was Davy Crockett," Mike Merritt said. "And Davy supposedly killed him a bear when he was three. And Tre is five and really killed a bear. I really doubt if Davy killed one when he was three."

Mike Merritt was in the stand at the time but said Tre did it all by himself.

"He came in about 40 to 50 yards," Mike Merritt said of the black bear, "and when he got in the open, I whistled at him and he stopped and I said, 'Shoot Tre.'"

Tre confirmed his grandfather's account.

"I was up in the stand and I seen the bear," Tre Merritt said. "It came from the thicket and it was beside the road and I shot it."

At first, Mike Merritt didn't think Tre had hit the bear with his youth rifle.

"I said, 'Tre, you missed the bear,' " Mike Merritt said. "He said, 'Paw-paw I squeezed the trigger and I didn't close my eyes. I killed him."'

The bear turned out to be 445 pounds — 12 times the weight of Tre. Mike Merritt said tears rolled down his cheeks when he found out his grandson killed the enormous bear.

Tre Merritt's father, Wheatley, said he began teaching his son to shoot when he was just 2 ½ years old, and said Tre killed three deer last year.

Wheatley Merritt said the family plans to get a life-sized mount of the bear, but where they will put has yet to be determined.

DeWitt is in rural eastern Arkansas, close to the Mississippi River bottoms and near Stuttgart, the Duck Hunting Capitol of the World.

Frontier hero
    Davy Crockett was a celebrated 19th-century American folk hero, frontiersman, soldier and politician; usually referred to as "King of the Wild Frontier". He represented Tennessee in the U.S. House of Representatives, served in the Texas Revolution, and died at the age of 49 at the Battle of the Alamo.

Crockett passed through Arkansas on his way from Tennessee to Texas in 1835. While at a Little Rock (Pulaski County) banquet given in his honor, he reportedly stated, "If I could rest anywhere it would be in Arkansas, where the men are of the real half-horse, half-alligator breed such as grow nowhere else on the face of the universal earth but just around the backbone of North America."

Robert Crockett, one of Davy Crockett's grandsons, became the first mayor of Stuttgart (Arkansas County) after the town incorporated in 1889. The village of Crockett's Bluff (Arkansas County) was named in honor of Robert Crockett.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 5 yr old Crockett Descendant kills bear

Maybe it's just me, but I'm just not sold on the idea of teaching a 2 and half year old how to shoot a gun. But that's just how I roll.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

so a kid aimed a gun at a large animal and squeezed the trigger,killing the animal...what am i missing?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I'm just not sold on the idea of teaching a 2 and half year old how to shoot a gun. But that's just how I roll.
    I totally agree. There are plenty of adults who can't be trusted with a weapon much less a 2 year old. My 19 year old son can shoot and his grandfather taught him around the time he hit 1st Grade which I think is about right. Of course, now he won't shoot because he's a hippie. And that is alright too.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Normally, I'd agree with you, but we're talking about a descendent of Davy Crockett. I think we need to breed him with a descendent of Annie Oakley and see what happens. Terrorism might end forever.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Normally, I'd agree with you, but we're talking about a descendent of Davy Crockett. I think we need to breed him with a descendent of Annie Oakley and see what happens.
    It strikes me as an awful lot of generations for Davy Crockett to be the kids "10th great grandfather". They must have kids when they're real young, because just counting my own family, if I had a grandkid that age, I count back only five, maybe six generations to get back to when Crockett was born.

And I agree with the earlier comment, what on earth is anyone doing allow a child that young to use a gun? I can't imagine its even legal, but that doesn't generally stop people.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    so a kid aimed a gun at a large animal and squeezed the trigger,killing the animal...what am i missing?
    Maybe the bear had a bigger gun?

Shooting a black bear is not the biggest challenge in the world. With the exception of a mother protecting her cubs, they are about the most docile , unsuspecting creatures in the wild and unlike deer, they are quite unlikely to spook when they smell humans. You can get closer to a black bear than you can a deer because they know you are there, but just don't care.
    My wife has relatives who are guides in the Cascades and just about all of them have stories of nearly bumping into black bears while out hiking. Poor thing was probably just foraging for berries.

If the kid shot a charging Grizzly, now that'd be a feat.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    It strikes me as an awful lot of generations for Davy Crockett to be the kids "10th great grandfather". They must have kids when they're real young, because just counting my own family, if I had a grandkid that age, I count back only five, maybe six generations to get back to when Crockett was born.

And I agree with the earlier comment, what on earth is anyone doing allow a child that young to use a gun? I can't imagine its even legal, but that doesn't generally stop people.
    Crockett was born in 1786 so that's 221 years ago. Simple math and common sense tells you that, while possible, the grandfather is more than likely full of crap.

The bear turned out to be 445 pounds — 12 times the weight of Tre. Mike Merritt said tears rolled down his cheeks when he found out his grandson killed the enormous bear.
    Ah, the pleasures of watching a child grow up. The day he says his first word; the day he takes his first step; the day he first kills something simply because he can...
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Ah, the pleasures of watching a child grow up. The day he says his first word; the day he takes his first step; the day he first kills something simply because he can...
    Living in America.....

I am not a PETA nut but I am just not a big hunting fan...to spend hundreds of dollars on all the guns/clothing/ammo/extra etc... walk in the middle of nowhere then essentially hide somewhere until a animal walks in to your line of fire-pull a trigger then high five your buddy until your blue in the face...the machismo that goes along with it is just absurd--hey this huge animal just walked right into my scope and i pulled the trigger what a man I am..sheesh

I am not a PETA nut but I am just not a big hunting fan...to spend hundreds of dollars on all the guns/clothing/ammo/extra etc... walk in the middle of nowhere then essentially hide somewhere until a animal walks in to your line of fire-pull a trigger then high five your buddy until your blue in the face...the machismo that goes along with it is just absurd--hey this huge animal just walked right into my scope and i pulled the trigger what a man I am..sheesh
    Normally I don't get involved but people have touched a nerve here...

There is much more to hunting than that stereotype. There is nothing like the rush of adrenaline and the feeling of man vs. nature when stepping into the woods. It is VERY challenging, and damn right it is very masculine, where I come from if you are a man and don't hunt people might tend to think you are weird. Try hunting squirrells with a .22 long rifle instead of a .12 gauge. Trust me, I've been hunting for the majority of my life and have only killed 4 deer, of course I COULD have killed many more but I a head-hunter (big racked bucks) rather than shooting a deer just to say I killed a deer; besides deer are the dumbest, most worthlest animals on earth, just look at how they destroy cars. Be glad that hunters are in the hills to maintain their population, that is if you like having a car that isn't destroyed.

As far as shooting goes, it is our God given red blooded American right. My grandfather let me shoot my first gun when I was 3, bought my Red Ryder BB gun for me one Christmas, and my other one bought my first real gun for me when I was 11. Both my grandfathers are gone now but I have nothing but great memories of our bonding with them showing me how to handle a firearm and the ways of the woods. I pride myself on the fact that if society ever fails us I for one can live off the land...how many of you can say that?
    Last edited by will5979; 12-12-2007 at 11:52 AM.

I hunt. Yes there is a degree of that sort of bravado involved. My brother in law and I trade our stories about who saw more or who saw the bigger critter on a given day, but [and not to go all Ted Nugent here] I use the animal for food. I mostly hunt deer and very much enjoy venison. I use it for burger, I use it for steak, I use it for stew, I use it for roasts. Very little goes to waste and despite all the other things that go with hunting, I primarily do it for the food.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

I'm not defending any of this, but there are places in the US where hunting is truly integrated into the life and the culture of the area. I spent some time down in the rural Louisiana/Arkansas area in a previous life and I never ate so much deer, rabbit, and squirrel in my life. These people aren't thrill-seeking hunters.

Shooting a bear doesn't seem like great sport, but I guess they viewed this as a rite of passage kind of thing.

Personally, I'm not a hunter. I hunted when I was a teenager and shot a deer when I was 17. I guess I'm a big wuss, but I found the experience almost shattering. That's the last time I killed anything bigger than a bug. Not a PETA guy, but I also don't own a gun.

Pay attention to the open sky

Turn Off Ads?