Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bobby Petrino resigns as head coach of the Falcons to take Arkansas head coaching job

Re: Bobby Petrino resigns as head coach of the Falcons to take Arkansas head coaching

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    How in the world can you comment on what someone else's kids need?
    I think he is commenting more on the fact that his kids have been through three public school systems(assuming they are not home-schooled, then its an entirely different story). That being said, nobody really knows what goes on in the Petrino household, but it can't be easy for kids to move, much less grownups.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bobby Petrino resigns as head coach of the Falcons to take Arkansas head coaching

The nature of the business does not promote loyalty from either side. Considering that no one is crying crocodile tears for the "bums" when they are fired, usually after a number of public lynching by the fans, folks should not be surprised that there are coaches looking out for themselves, because rarely is anyone watching their backs for them.

Not to mention that loyalty is not one of the strengths of our current culture, but I digress.
    Absolutely true. Barry Switzer had fantastic success his first 6-8 years at Oklahoma. A couple of National Championships and very nearly won at least 2 more. The athletic complex at OU is named after him now But, in the early 80's when the Sooners had a couple of 7-4 seasons, there were more than a few people that thought he should be fired.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Yep...I've had a rough recent past in being a Falcons/Reds fan.
    Your Falcons were the toast of football just a few years ago.
    I've been a Reds & Az Cardinals sufferer for years now.

How in the world can you comment on what someone else's kids need?
    Do you have kids?

I feel pretty safe in saying that 3 schools in less than 18 months is not good. It's not like he got transferred. He had choices.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    Do you have kids?
    tr's close to having more kids than fingers.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    Do you have kids?

I feel pretty safe in saying that 3 schools in less than 18 months is not good. It's not like he got transferred. He had choices.
    As M2 hinted, while I'm not quite taking my shoes off to count them, I do have eight kids and a grandson, so if that gives me any brownie points for validating my opinion, so be it.

Regardless of whether Petrino's kids are in public, private, or homeschooled, it is a very broad, sweeping generalization to lay pity on his kids for moving. For all you know, his kids could wear out their welcome in a place as fast as he apparently does, so maybe its good that they move around so everyone doesn't find out they're brats. But, my point is, who are you to imply that he is a bad parent based solely on changing coaching jobs frequently?

Quote Originally Posted by redhawkfish View Post
    While I don't disagree with your premise that every one should look out for themselves, would you agree that a form letter to your former players is pretty weak?
    I think that's what really rubbed everyone the wrong way.

Walking away in the middle of a season (w/ only 3 games left) is quitting. Period.

Following that up by simply leaving a letter in the locker room is absolute chicken stuff.

Petrino, Arksansas and the SEC definitely have the makings of a fantastically spectacular situation. It's either going to succeed or fail miserably. It will not be for the faint of heart.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    I think that's what really rubbed everyone the wrong way.

Walking away in the middle of a season (w/ only 3 games left) is quitting. Period.

Following that up by simply leaving a letter in the locker room is absolute chicken stuff.

Petrino, Arksansas and the SEC definitely have the makings of a fantastically spectacular situation. It's either going to succeed or fail miserably. It will not be for the faint of heart.

He shouldn't have any problems there since the SEC is so overrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?