Thread: Fukudome Signs with Cubs

Fukudome Signs with Cubs

Per ESPN Radio 1000 in Chicago

4 years, 50 mil.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fukudome Signs with Cubs

Wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

That OB split last year is just sick.

Would you have rather had Cordero or Fukodome?
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Cordero. The Reds have enough outfielders were and still are quite spare in the pitching department. Who knows how well he'll do in the states, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    Cordero. The Reds have enough outfielders. Who knows how well he'll do in the states, anyway.
    Oh shoot, I feel dumb, I thought he was a SP!

Cordero because 1.) he is a major need for the Reds and 2.) he has proven he can be successful in the major leagues while Fukudome has not. He was a great player in Japan but whose to say that will translate to the major leagues?

he has one heck of a swing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA_iOGk9dD8

IMO the Cubs overpaid alittle bit, but in today's market that is to be expected. When you are the Cubs, money means very little.

The Cubs were a team that really needed a LHB with on base skills. That is what they got.

It's a good signing.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Cordero because 1.) he is a major need for the Reds and 2.) he has proven he can be successful in the major leagues while Fukudome has not. He was a great player in Japan but whose to say that will translate to the major leagues?
    Yeah, if I knew he was a OFer I'd never have even posed the question. Dunno why I thought he was a SP.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Hideki Matsui was a 50 homer guy in Japan and Shinjo was an all-star. It will be interesting to see how his power holds up.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Yea, Cubs are overpaying here -- but who haven't they overpaid for lately?

One Man Army

Yeah, if I knew he was a OFer I'd never have even posed the question. Dunno why I thought he was a SP.
    The other big Japanese name on the market, Hiroki Kuroda, is a SP.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7554498

The Cubs, landing their biggest off-season target, have signed Japanese free-agent outfielder Kosuke Fukudome to a four-year contract, major-league sources confirmed to FOXSports.com.

The deal, first reported by WGN Radio in Chicago, is expected to be for approximately $12 million per season, sources said.

Fukudome, 30, gives the Cubs a left-handed hitter who will balance their heavily right-handed lineup. He is expected to be the team's everyday right fielder.

The Padres, Giants and White Sox were among the teams that bid for Fukudome. The Padres are now expected to turn their attention to re-signing free-agent center fielder Mike Cameron, who also is entertaining offers from other clubs. The Giants and White Sox are among the teams competing for free agent Aaron Rowand.

Fukudome had a .305 career batting average in Japan, averaging 29 homers between 2003 and '06. He appeared in only 81 games for the Chunichi Dragons last season due to a right-elbow injury that required surgery.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?