Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Bob Quinn

Bob Quinn

I was just looking over the list of former Reds GMs and saw that Bob Quinn was the Reds GM for 1990-1992 then he was replaced by Jim Bowden. The Reds led by Quinn won the series in 1990, 74-88 in 1991, and finished 90-72 in 1992.

I was too young to understand about the Reds front office at the time. What happened to Quinn and why was Bowden hired? I looked him up on Wiki, but couldn't find anything.
    Last edited by Jpup; 12-12-2007 at 06:02 AM.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bob Quinn

I don't recall exactly, but I want to say there may have been friction between Quinn and Lou Pinella on one side and Marge Schott on the other.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I don't recall exactly, but I want to say there may have been friction between Quinn and Lou Pinella on one side and Marge Schott on the other.
    That's what I was kind of wondering. I just can't see firing a guy after finishing 90-72.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Marge Schott fired Quinn. It was just Marge being Marge at her worst. Actually, Piniella had quit a day or two earlier because he was fed up with her insanity.

If I recall, Schott's lawyer delivered Quinn his pink slip because she did not want to face him personally.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Ahh, Marge...what a freak! UGH.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Marge Schott fired Quinn. It was just Marge being Marge at her worst. Actually, Piniella had quit a day or two earlier because he was fed up with her insanity.

If I recall, Schott's lawyer delivered Quinn his pink slip because she did not want to face him personally.

Yep, just another sad episode in the Marge years.

IIRC, Old Leatherpants helped grease the skids.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

everyone in baseball knew that JimBo was angling for that job and would eventually figure out a way to supplant Quinn. Quinn was either too decent to cut Bowden, or didn't feel that he'd win the battle

I never met him personally, but he and I corresponded by post in those pre-email days. Very nice, humble guy. Very different from his successor

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    everyone in baseball knew that JimBo was angling for that job and would eventually figure out a way to supplant Quinn. Quinn was either too decent to cut Bowden, or didn't feel that he'd win the battle

I never met him personally, but he and I corresponded by post in those pre-email days. Very nice, humble guy. Very different from his successor
    That was my vague recollection that it was assumed that Bowden helped Bush him, a bit of a castle coup. I was always impressed that Quinn came here and I would have liked to have kept him. He immediately found a job with the Giants where Dusty Baker served undre him for four years.
    In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either. - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Marge went through 4 GM's and 5 Traveling Secretaries in the first 7 years as owner, she was the reason all of them left, .. Quinn went to San Francisco after he was canned by Marge... signed a former player with no managing experience to run that team.

At the time the NY Times was saying the Reds were had the most unstable organization in all of MLB.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Marge went through 4 GM's and 5 Traveling Secretaries in the first 7 years as owner, she was the reason all of them left, .. Quinn went to San Francisco after he was canned by Marge... signed a former player with no managing experience to run that team.

At the time the NY Times was saying the Reds were had the most unstable organization in all of MLB.
    Marge's main problem was not hiring someone named Costanza to be the Assistant to the Traveling Secretary.

But honestly, the thread starter JPup makes a good point. Only someone like Marge would fire the GM and the manager (well, Lou technically quit) of a team that had just won the World Series title two years earlier and was just coming off another 90-win season. And of course that will probably be the last WS title most of us will see the rest of our lifetimes. Well, unless Tom Shearn turns into Greg Maddux like I think he will.

Marge also ran off Bill Bergesch and Murray Cook. Now, back then, those were "name" GM's.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Wasn't another reason Bowden was able to slide in because of this - no other "name" GM would work for Marge by that time?

I still run into many Reds fans who longingly look back at the Schott years - and wish she were back. If that isn't depressing...

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post

I still run into many Reds fans who longingly look back at the Schott years - and wish she were back. If that isn't depressing...
    Well next to Ted Turner she had the highest winning percentage in the NL during her span of owning the team. Sure she was a nutcase and she did benefit from having a lucrative farm system that was in place prior to her acquiring the team but I do credit her in the same way we credit Presidents or CEO's who govern over a time of success or prosperity even though much of the success was made from decisions made by a previous regime.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    Wasn't another reason Bowden was able to slide in because of this - no other "name" GM would work for Marge by that time?

Probably. The BS line we were fed at the time was that Bowden was this tireless worker who never left the office. He was all baseball. I guess "all baseball" includes a lot of all-you-cat-eat buffets, sleezy women and absolutely no clue how to acquire pitching or develop a minor league system.

Turn Off Ads?