Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Here we go...Haren/D'backs get Haren

Here we go...Haren/D'backs get Haren

Surprise Players For Haren
    During the Winter Meetings, there wasn't much talk of the Indians or Reds pursuing Oakland starter Dan Haren. However, there's buzz that both Ohio teams might have interest. It's a blurry line between "Haren would be a good fit on this team" and "this team inquired on Haren," however.

It seems the Tribe has crossed the line and did at least inquire on Haren. I say this because of Susan Slusser's article today, where she notes that Asdrubal Cabrera was "believed to be an A's target." The Indians don't want to part with the young infielder, a player they stole from the Mariners in June of 2006 for Eduardo Perez.

Slusser believes the Reds "might turn their focus toward Haren with an offer that could include starter Homer Bailey" if they can't get Erik Bedard. Slusser's report is unclear whether Wayne Krivsky has had conversations with Billy Beane about Haren. Ken Rosenthal says the Reds are "pushing for Haren," which does indicate talks.

www.mlbtraderumors.com

Rosenthal adds: The Reds are pushing for Haren as well as Bedard, apparently believing that they could acquire such a pitcher without including outfielder Jay Bruce in the deal. A package centered around Homer Bailey and Joey Votto might not be enough, but the Reds' reluctance to part with Bruce is understandable. One rival G.M. says Bruce could be another Larry Walker.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7...0813162&ATT=49

Bailey, Votto, and Stubbs or Roenicke for Haren- I like. Time for a new thread?
    Last edited by Benihana; 12-12-2007 at 10:55 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Here we go...Haren

I'd offer Bailey, Votto, and another prospect. I'd even be willing to include Cueto if negotiations went that far.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Just so its clear and asked early, he's in the same situation as Bronson, ie was not eligible for free agency when he signed his LTC and can NOT opt out, correct?

I would like to get Haren. Hamilton and Cueto work for me.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

I'd obviously like Haren, but can Cincy afford trading two top tier prospects for him?

I just don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Just so its clear and asked early, he's in the same situation as Bronson, ie was not eligible for free agency when he signed his LTC and can NOT opt out, correct?

I would like to get Haren. Hamilton and Cueto work for me.
    Does Homer/Votto/someone else work for you?

Cruisin' for trouble

I'd try to see if I could offer a package including either Griffey or Dunn to Beane. Keep in mind, Oakland has been rumored to be interested in signing Bonds. At this point, either Griffey or Dunn would be an upgrade over Bonds as a DH/OF.

So, how about Dunn/Griffey and Cueto for Haren?

I would hate to see this deal being equated to the Mulder deal in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I'd obviously like Haren, but can Cincy afford trading two top tier prospects for him?

I just don't know.
    They can't afford not to.

The Reds will be lucky if either Bailey or Cueto develops into the pitcher that Haren is today (or Bedard, for that matter).

I'd hate for Bailey and Cueto to flame out (or worse, develop into nothing more than mediocre pitchers) and leave the Reds wondering what might have been.

You have to take risks sometimes. I think Haren is a good gamble.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 12-12-2007 at 11:15 AM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I would love to see this deal being equated to the Hudson deal in a few years.
    Go BLUE!!!

I like Haren better than Bedard, because of the years and the $$$. But I would not deal both Bailey and Cueto.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

I don't think Haren is the same pitcher Mulder is. As far as I can tell, Haren is still on the way up, whereas Mulder was on top of the mountain when he got traded. I don't think anyone could have known that Mulder would slide off so quickly, but you don't avoid a trade for Haren just because that happened to another A's pitcher. By comparison, the Tim Hudson deal seems to have worked out a little better for Atlanta, right?
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

All of these rumors seem to indicate that Wayne is going to land that top SP this off-season if he can manage it. I must say, after all of these threads, not getting one of these names (Haren, Bedard, Kazmir, Lincecum) would be a big letdown.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Rosenthal adds: The Reds are pushing for Haren as well as Bedard, apparently believing that they could acquire such a pitcher without including outfielder Jay Bruce in the deal. A package centered around Homer Bailey and Joey Votto might not be enough, but the Reds' reluctance to part with Bruce is understandable.
    This is my theory. And my concern. Bailey and Votto have more cachet in the Reds' eyes than in the eyes of other GMs, particularly a guy like Beane, who knows what real talent is.

I don't want to deal Bailey and Cueto. I'd let Beane pick one of them, and add Votto and a lesser prospect. If he demands both, I go back to MacPhail and remind him that the Dodgers, with the reported signing of Kuroda, look to now be out of the bidding for Bedard.
    Go BLUE!!!

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

There is a risk of a prospect trade becoming a win for the other team in any deal and the young established vet breaking down. Mulder did give St. Looey a good year his first year before breaking down. With that said, I make a starting pitching prospect for young vet starting pitcher with a good track record and good stuff, like Haren has, every day and twice on Sunday.

Turn Off Ads?