Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Here we go...Haren/D'backs get Haren

Re: Here we go...Haren

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    That would be crafty. I would offer both teams Bailey, Votto, and a lesser prospect, and see which one bites first. Let them get into a "bidding war" for once. Heck, get Tampa involved too. If neither takes the bait, you can always come back to the table. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
    If that were all it took, I think it would have already been done by now. It may eventually get it done, but right now the As, Rays and Os are letting potential suitors stew. The santana deal may dislodge the logjam too.

2. Turn Off Ads?

One more thing...with Rosenthal saying

The Reds are pushing for Haren as well as Bedard, apparently believing that they could acquire such a pitcher without including outfielder Jay Bruce in the deal. A package centered around Homer Bailey and Joey Votto might not be enough, but the Reds' reluctance to part with Bruce is understandable. One rival G.M. says Bruce could be another Larry Walker.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7...0813162&ATT=49
    It is WAY OUT THERE thought...but is there a situation where the Reds go after Haren and Bedard? Do we have enough in the system to do that?

I mean, if we include Bruce in the talks.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    It is WAY OUT THERE thought...but is there a situation where the Reds go after Haren and Bedard? Do we have enough in the system to do that?

I mean, if we include Bruce in the talks.
    I don't know if they are saying that. I think they are pushing for both, but only want one.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    This is my theory. And my concern. Bailey and Votto have more cachet in the Reds' eyes than in the eyes of other GMs, particularly a guy like Beane, who knows what real talent is.
    I think they have fairly universal cachet, and Beane likes the kiddies. But Beane is also a clever negotiator.

Me personally, I think that trade rather favors the Reds, but I'm happy to ride overvaluing prospect wave as long as we have them.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I would go Dunn, Bailey and Freel for Haren...like some other posters on here I would love to see the farm system produce a stud...but the track record ain't in our favor and Haren is more than what the doctor ordered for the needs of this team...with the offer above we keep Votto, Cueto and Bruce...that is assuming that the A's would have reasonable interest in Dunn if they are reportedly interested in Bonds.
    Dunn doesn't meet the profile of what the A's abd the O's are trying to do (and probably not the Rays either). Add in Adam's contract situation and I don't see how he's in any deal.

It's a repeat topic for my opinion, but somewhere in the winter meeting stuff, I was adamant in saying that for Haren I would loose Bailey AND Cueto if need be without any regret. I still would. Those two plus Stubbs, and Beane would have to think long and hard before turning it down.

The Reds should trade anyone who has a no-trade contract/rights for Haren.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I think they have fairly universal cachet
    Just a gnawing suspicion, that's all. Though I have absolutely no doubt that Bailey's exposure this summer hurt his value. He has vanished from the tongues of GMs and baseball writers alike, except to say that he's clearly not enough as a chip by himself.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Dunn doesn't meet the profile of what the A's abd the O's are trying to do (and probably not the Rays either). Add in Adam's contract situation and I don't see how he's in any deal.
    Really? I thought with the A's looking at Bonds Dunn would fill that role at about the same price of what Bonds would get to go to the A's...you're probably right though.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Just a gnawing suspicion, that's all. Though I have absolutely no doubt that Bailey's exposure this summer hurt his value. He has vanished from the tongues of GMs and baseball writers alike, except to say that he's clearly not enough as a chip by himself.
    FREAKIN< JERRY NARON!

Haren wasn't enough of a chip by a longshot to get Mulder. They had to add Barton, who was a bigger chip IIRC.

I think the doomsday predictions for Bailey are a little premature.

Really? I thought with the A's looking at Bonds Dunn would fill that role at about the same price of what Bonds would get to go to the A's...you're probably right though.
    Bonds would probably be mostly a PR thing, since he is beloved in the Bay area.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Haren wasn't enough of a chip by a longshot to get Mulder. They had to add Barton, who was a bigger chip IIRC.

I think the doomsday predictions for Bailey are a little premature.
    Haren, at the time of the Cards' trade, had about a third of the buzz associated with Bailey, circa 2006.

Timing is everything.

And for the record, this has nothing to do with a doomsday prediction as far as his talent; all I'm talking about is his perceived value right now.

This is my theory. And my concern. Bailey and Votto have more cachet in the Reds' eyes than in the eyes of other GMs, particularly a guy like Beane, who knows what real talent is.
    Perhaps, but I'm not seeing anyone offering anything better. Bailey, Votto and extras is roughly equivalent to what the Marlins got for Miggy Cabrera AND Dontrelle Willis.

I agree that Bailey's exposure this summer removed some of his luster, though he did pitch his best game against the A's.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Bonds would probably be mostly a PR thing, since he is beloved in the Bay area.
    That makes total sense...wasn't taking that into account at all.

Turn Off Ads?