Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cubs Non-Tender Mark Prior; signs with Padres

Cubs Non-Tender Mark Prior; signs with Padres

According to Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune, Mark Prior "seems headed for the non-tender list" unless the Cubs pull off a trade or Prior concedes to an option year for 2009.

The 27 year-old hasn't started a big league game since August 10th, 2006. If he becomes a free agent, I imagine many teams would view him as a low-risk, high-reward option.

--

Let's get him! 2 years, $7 MM guaranteed, with an extra $5 MM in incentives? I wonder if that would do it, given the Dusty connection.

Just imagine:

Harang
    Haren/Bedard
    Arroyo
    Prior
    Belisle

with Cueto waiting in the wings. Not to mention, you maintain the core of Dunn, Phillips, Encarnacion, Hamilton and Bruce. I mean, WOW...
    Last edited by Benihana; 12-12-2007 at 10:05 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Looking more and more like Prior will be non-tendered

Little too much cash for him IMO, considering his arm must be held together by duct tape by now.
    Go Gators!

Cruisin' for trouble

Last I heard, he was throwing mid-80's fastballs. Is there any evidence out there that he has recovered any arm speed since then?

Ryan Freel for Mark Prior, get it done.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    Ryan Freel for Mark Prior, get it done.
    I wish.

The Cubs just got Fukodome, and word is Roberts will be next. Plus, they're in need of left handed hitters, the opposite of the Reds. Therefore, I doubt they have any interest in Freel.

Prior will be a FA by midnight. I hope the Reds take a cheap flier.
    Go BLUE!!!

If he has a smart agent he will direct him to a team with a very nice pitchers park on a one year incentive laden deal. If he stays healthy and does OK in that situation then they will look to cash in.

He doesn't want the two year deal as I understand it when reading between the lines.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    He doesn't want the two year deal as I understand it when reading between the lines.
    Fine. Give him the one-year deal!
    Go BLUE!!!

Cubs Non-Tender Mark Prior

Per Bruce Levine.

Keep in mind this when going after Prior, from today's sun-times.
    ''The only thing I can rely on is what the doctor said,'' Boggs said. ''We have no reason to believe Mark isn't going to be out there 100 percent at some point [in 2008]. We've been told middle to late May.''
    If the Reds go after him, which I think they will, expect him to miss the first two months.
    Last edited by reds44; 12-12-2007 at 10:19 PM.

Re: ESPN 1000 Chicago: Cubs Will non-Tender Mark Prior

I think you have to take a shot. I think you offer a incentive-laden contract with the chance at a pretty high salary for equal performanceand a club option at a reasonable rate.

He'll get incentive-laden offers from a dozen or more teams.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

If he would choose to come here to play for Dusty Baker, it would do a lot to sqaush the speculation that Dusty ruins pitchers...I would think if Dusty "ruined" him, Prior wouldn't want to play for him again

ah but:

middle to late May in what year?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    If he would choose to come here to play for Dusty Baker, it would do a lot to sqaush the speculation that Dusty ruins pitchers...I would think if Dusty "ruined" him, Prior wouldn't want to play for him again
    My thoughts exactly. However I fully expect him to head to San Diego, that is where he wants toplay, near home. And S.D. has been keeping a spot on the 40 man warm for him, just in case this happened. Probably Ensberg's spot!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    My thoughts exactly. However I fully expect him to head to San Diego, that is where he wants toplay, near home. And S.D. has been keeping a spot on the 40 man warm for him, just in case this happened. Probably Ensberg's spot!
    Word that San Diego has soured on the idea of getting Prior after seeing his medical reports.

Turn Off Ads?