Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reds looking at Haren

Recovering Cubs Fan

Re: Reds looking at Haren

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    you would think so, i wonder if the reds are willing to give up bailey and votto/hamilton though, i know i would be hesitant.
    Hell, I'd give up all three and not look back.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Don't give up the farm!

It is true that a lot of prospects do not turn out the way you want them to, but if you could ask the Cards if they could go back and not trade Haren when he was one of those prospects I will bet they would say do not trade him! Bailey may never be what we think he is going to be but if he turns into the number 1 that has been predicted we will be sick that we traded him for anyone! If you can trade Votto and Hamilton and Maloney and EE and get a Haren or a Bedard then go for it but please not Bailey or Cueto or Bruce!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    That third year makes all the difference to me, it makes haren much more valuable, and gives you three legitimate years in a row to compete for a world series. That's all I can ask.
    Agree 100%.

Plus, his contract is already decided. Bedard will be hitting arbitration over the next couple years, then - almost certaingly - will be a FA in 2010.

BUT, if you consider that we haven't yet extended Dunn past 2008, you have Griffey MORE THAN LIKELY to be gone in 2009 (no way we pay him $16.5M), then you probably see 2010 as the least of your problems.

Trading for Haren or Bedards says we want to win NOW.

We've been playing the "Wait until our great Prospects develop" card since Sweet Lou was wrestling Dibble in the clubhouse. I haven't seen one of those guys develop yet....

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    you almost have to take haren or bedard if you can get them. In my opinion if you get one of those two, you might as well start printing the playoff tickets now.
    until Bedard gets hurt again...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    This is why you consider trading your prospects: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64045

Adam Dunn and Austin Kearns were deemed non-tradeable when they were prospects.........how'd that turn out? Half this board or more than half wants to trade Adam Dunn.

I would say other than Dunn, none of those prospects met all the hype surrounding them.
    Those guys weren't pitching prospects... I can't post threads yet, so could you please post a poll asking who would trade Adam Dunn... I certainly wouldn't...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

I get scared about giving up our guys for pitchers that might or might not have over produced last year

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AdamDunn View Post
    how about, for sure later with prospects. That is why they are called the Big Four. We are pretty much assured that at LEAST 2 out of the four will be top of the line baseball players. Just be patient. Why do we need to trade prospects to get players when we can sign players and keep the prospects. I'd rather sign a player than trade for them. This years FA market is slim. But just wait until someone like Webb, Haren, Bedard, Kazmir, or someone of that nature to go FA and jump on them like cats on tunafish. That's what the Mets have done. They kept Wright and Reyes and signed Martinez, Beltran, Wagner and a host of other legit players.

If we trade prospects, we win now for a short while. We keep the prospects, we lose now for the short run but we win later for the long run. I'd rather have the later of the two.
    Very well thought out Adam. I couldn't agree with you more. The Reds are now blessed with young, emerging stars in Jay Bruce, Josh Hamilton, Joey Votto, Homer Bailey and also Cueto, Maloney, Roenicke, Dickenson(sp?) and others in the Reds latest Top 10 minor leaguers.

I keep my cheap, young players and sign the free agent (when available) of 1 from Haren, Kazmir and Bedard or other top notch pitchers that are FA's. Griffey's contract comes off the books next year as long as the Reds don't accept Jr.'s option for '09. These young guys are golden and other GM's know it but won't own up to it. They want to make Wayne Krivsky believe their pitcher is the best pitcher in Major League history, which we know they're not.

People need to realize that there is no one to replace 1st baseman Joey Votto's mega-talent in the minors. No, Don't put Dunn at 1st. Brandon Phillips will be worn out running for fly pop fouls. The Mets plan is the best plan as far as holding onto your own guys and bidding for the best players. The Cincinnati Reds ownership and its fanbase can and will compete for these terribly high priced pitchers in order to maintain years of competing instead of a one year possibility of winning (Santana-unless he would sign for at least 5 years here). I have seen Bruce, Votto, Hamilton and Bailey play in person and each one can dominate a game. The cost in player exchange is way to high (Even Astros fans are lamenting the 5 for 1 trade for Miguel Tejada) so going the free-agency route is the best way.

Sit tight in '08. See what else can shake out. Get Bailey and Cueto established in the rotation. Then go for it BIG-TIME for the 2008 free agents!!!

It's a Win-Win proposition!!!
    Last edited by Vada Pinson Fan; 12-12-2007 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OUReds View Post
    Not sure I follow you here? Haren would be under our control for three years, Bedard for two. If you mean a long term contract, I don't think you should factor one into the equation for either.
    I ment long term. The A's are asking for something similar to what the Marlins asked for Cabrera in terms of top prospects. They want two top prospects (I'm guessing two of the Big Four) and one or two other lower ceiling prospects. We only know that we can have Bedard for two years and Haren for three. Anything more than that is going to be very expensive. I'd rather have all four of the prospects for 5 cheap years than have two of them and Haren/Bedard for three/two cheap years.

Turn Off Ads?