Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Today is "Josh Hamilton Day" in Josh's hometowns

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Today is "Josh Hamilton Day" in Josh's hometowns

http://www.theledger.com/article/20071211/APS/712110868

Reds outfielder Hamilton to be honored with day

The Associated Press

RALEIGH, N.C.

It's going to be a big day for Cincinnati Reds outfielder Josh Hamilton on Wednesday.
    The city of Raleigh and towns of Cary and Garner have declared Dec. 12 as "Josh Hamilton Day" in honor of the Athens Drive High School product.

Tomorrow night, the Carolina Hurricanes will honor Hamilton during their game against the Ottawa Senators.

Hamilton will be presented a special Hurricanes jersey and will sign autographs during the first intermission at the RBC Center.

Hamilton is a former No. 1 draft pick who overcame alcohol and cocaine addiction to earn a spot on the Cincinnati roster.
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Today is "Josh Hamilton Day" in Josh's hometowns

I have nothing against Josh and his personal struggles, but how about honoring someone who did it the right way.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I have nothing against Josh and his personal struggles, but how about honoring someone who did it the right way.
    By "right way" you mean "winning the genetic lottery?"
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    By "right way" you mean "winning the genetic lottery?"
    and not almost killing yourself with drug and alcohol addictions. Why not honoring someone who took their gifts and used them to their best abilities rather than almost squandering them.

Josh's recovery is a nice story but he should not be held up a role model to anyone. He should use his past a platform to warn others about the pitfalls of addiction but should not be honored by communities.

I think it's overkill, but I can see these communities doing it as a platform about drug awareness.

That said, the story is probably wearing thin on people that follow the Reds as closely as we do.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Why not honoring someone who took their gifts and used them to their best abilities rather than almost squandering them.
    Honest reason?

Because it's boring copy and, like Chris Rock said, nobody cares about people who do what they're supposed to do.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Worth The Wait

and not almost killing yourself with drug and alcohol addictions. Why not honoring someone who took their gifts and used them to their best abilities rather than almost squandering them.

Josh's recovery is a nice story but he should not be held up a role model to anyone. He should use his past a platform to warn others about the pitfalls of addiction but should not be honored by communities.
    This is America. This is how we do it here.

It seems the American public is almost always more engaged by a success story from the ashes, rather than one that never strayed that close to the fire.

I'm not making a comment either way here, just stating what I believe to be a general fact.

The Pat Tillman case is another example. His actual sacrifice (his life) is no greater than any other solider that ever died in combat, or will die in combat. However, the circumstances surrounding his situation were extremely unique, and therefore, his death was a much bigger media/human interest story.

Josh Hamilton pulling himself out of the devil's lair to become a borderling All-Star baseball player w/o so much as a full season in the minors is a very unique, if not inspiring story.

And yes, his story is more likely to catch the eye of the Raleigh community than that of Joe Blow, who did everything the "right way" all along.

Just the facts, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    This is America. This is how we do it here.
    sad but true.

On the brink of disaster acredsfan's Avatar

I don't necessarily see it that way. In the community where I grew up we would have probably done the same thing. One reason is that we don't really turn out too many great athletes. Another reason is we were a tight nit communtiy who would want to show support with those of us who found success.

Let's face it, Josh did something that most people can't do. He's battled drug addiction and is winning the battle. To me that is more admirable than someone who was gifted their whole lives and had it easy. OJ Mayo for example. I am so sick of hearing about that brat. There are examples of people who made it big but still gave back to the community and were honorable people, but not many. Josh has worked hard to come back and should be rewarded for his efforts. You may feel it is overkill, but I like the fact that they are showing Josh that he has a reason to keep fighting his demons and they are behind him.
    "I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual." -- House

"You guys are still thinking like doctors when you should be thinking like plumbers. Come on, I wanna see some butt crack." -- House

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

http://news14.com/content/top_storie...y/Default.aspx

Baseball star opens local ministry
    Updated: 12/12/2007 04:58 PM
    By: Cassie Safrit

CARY -- Josh Hamilton is known locally in Raleigh for his baseball prowess, but the former Athens Drive star and current Cincinnati Reds outfielder has a new goal in mind. He wants to use the platform of baseball to help share his faith in God with others.

Ii have a bigger purpose to serve than just baseball,” Hamilton said Wednesday, where in front of hundreds of fellow Christian men, he announced the formation of Triple Play Ministries.

"The main focus is to spread the word of God,” he said.

God has played an important role in Hamilton’s life over the past few years. Following a standout career in high school, Hamilton was the number one pick in the 1999 Major League Baseball draft by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

But a car accident, numerous injuries and then a prolonged battle with drug addiction very nearly cost him his once promising career and so much more.

"There's so many times I should have been in jail, or I should have killed somebody or killed myself,” Hamilton said, who by his own account went to drug rehabilitation centers eight times in a 3-year span.

But Hamilton says through the grace of God, support from his family and eventually the Reds, he now has another chance.

"I really believe that God's had his hands in this from the very beginning and it's just a great, great story,” explained Jerry Narron, a friend and mentor of Hamilton’s who served as the Reds interim head coach for most of last season.

For Hamilton, that chance is not only to play, but to help others by combining his two loves, baseball and the Lord.

“In the future I could do stuff with half way houses, rehabs,” he said, adding that both he and his wife, Katie, are excited about the possibilities of the ministry.

"Hopefully we're going to work with people from all walks of life and different professions, but the ultimate goal is to share Christ,” added Katie Hamilton.

And the community hopes to share in that, as well.

"I encourage all Cary citizens to lift josh up in prayer as he serves as a personal testament to God's goodness and mercy,” said Cary Mayor Ernie McAlister.

It's that goodness and mercy that Hamilton wants to share, on and off the field.

"I just got to keep it in perspective and remember that I'm not playing for myself but to glorify him,” Hamilton said.

Three local communities deemed Wednesday as "Josh Hamilton Day", and the Carolina Hurricanes planned to honor the local star Wednesday night at their game.
    /r/reds

That happens too. It's just not as newsworthy. Joe was a good example. How many times was he honored by the Reds, Hamilton, Fairfield and Cincinnati? And that was all when he was still alive.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I like the idea of this, but I think it would be best to wait until Hamilton's career is over. Relapse, unfortunately, is very common. I have 99+% faith in Josh--I think he'll make it--but if he relapses, this is just going to rub it in and make it more difficult to recover.

Turn Off Ads?