Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aaron Rowand to Giants; Cliff Floyd to Rays

Aaron Rowand to Giants; Cliff Floyd to Rays

Wow. I guess that kills the Rios for Lincecum deal. Furthermore, I think it makes it clear the price for Kazmir would be Bailey and Cueto. I doubt they have much interest in Votto or Hamilton now.
    Last edited by Benihana; 12-12-2007 at 05:10 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Aaron Rowand to Giants; Cliff Floyd to Rays

Not necessarily. The Giants need much more offense than Rowand can provide alone, even if he does manage to replicate his career year.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    Not necessarily. The Giants need much more offense than Rowand can provide alone, even if he does manage to replicate his career year.
    Exactly. The Giants entered this offseason needing to find roughly eight starting position players.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Isn't there a lot of unpadded brick in SF's OF?

If my memory serves me correct, Rowand will kill himself running into the bricks in RCF.

I guess this means Winn is now a true COF again?

I saw where the deal was 60mil for 5 years...is it me or does that seem to be a lower dollar figure than someone of Rowand's ability?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    I saw where the deal was 60mil for 5 years...is it me or does that seem to be a lower dollar figure than someone of Rowand's ability?
    They probably figured that he's on the decline, and won't repeat his career year with the Phillies.

Rowand's career has been rather pedestrian, IIRC. Something like only 2 or 3 decent/good years, while the rest have been very forgettable.

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

If I were a Giants fan, I would shudder at the idea of paying a 35 year-old Aaron Rowand $12 million to limp around CF in 2012.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Sabean just seems to love old players. What does their offense look like now? Pedro Feliz, Omar Vizquel, Randy Winn, Dave Roberts, Rich Aurilia, Aaron Rowand... yeesh.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Exactly. The Giants entered this offseason needing to find roughly eight starting position players.
    Absolutely. They have quite possibly the most putrid starting 8 in MLB this coming season if they don't make some more moves.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    They probably figured that he's on the decline, and won't repeat his career year with the Phillies.

Rowand's career has been rather pedestrian, IIRC. Something like only 2 or 3 decent/good years, while the rest have been very forgettable.
    San Fran thinks he's on the decline, so they give him 5 years? That doesn't make sense.

12M annually seems like a lot for a guy with a spotty track record, plus he's probably wearing himself out in CF with his aggressive style of play. He's likely only got a few more effective seasons as a plus fielding CF'der. In a few years San Fran will likely be dishing out 12M a year for a below average corner OF'der.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    If I were a Giants fan, I would shudder at the idea of paying a 35 year-old Aaron Rowand $12 million to limp around CF in 2012.
    That was my first thought, as well. I'm glad the Phillies didn't re-sign him, especially at that price. I'll take the draft picks any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Sabean just seems to love old players. What does their offense look like now? Pedro Feliz, Omar Vizquel, Randy Winn, Dave Roberts, Rich Aurilia, Aaron Rowand... yeesh.
    Pretty sure they aren't bringing Feliz back, but they still got at least another year of Ray Durham.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    San Fran thinks he's on the decline, so they give him 5 years? That doesn't make sense.

12M annually seems like a lot for a guy with a spotty track record, plus he's probably wearing himself out in CF with his aggressive style of play. He's likely only got a few more effective seasons as a plus fielding CF'der. In a few years San Fran will likely be dishing out 12M a year for a below average corner OF'der.
    There's no logical reason as to why they signed him for 5 years, but I was commenting on the $ involved.

That's a lot of coin for an overrated CF, IMO.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    There's no logical reason as to why they signed him for 5 years, but I was commenting on the $ involved.

That's a lot of coin for an overrated CF, IMO.
    The likely reason is that Brian Sabean isn't a very good GM. Last season he tried to get Gary Matthews to a similar deal while being in the running for other guys like Juan Pierre. In addition, the guys he has succeeded in getting are similar types of players, ie. Dave Roberts, Randy Winn. He has his type. And he hasn't learned from it, even though it continues to bite him in the butt. With Bonds officially out of the picture, Sabean's flaws will be truly exploited.

If the Giants truly felt that Rowand was a prime candidate for decline, they wouldn't give him 5 years, heck, they probably wouldn't be interested at all. Sabean just committed 60M for this guy. That seems like the kind of contract handed down from a team that believes in your abilities.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

We'll see if Rowand can get to 20 HRs in that big old park in San Francisco.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

He's not a guy I would go after. $12 million isn't as big a number as it used to be, but he hasn't hit very well two of the last 3 years; he just turned thirty; his jump in OPS resulted from a jump in batting average in '07 (more balls landing in play).
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

Turn Off Ads?