Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: If Hamilton is traded, who hits leadoff?

Re: If Hamilton is traded, who hits leadoff?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    But it's decent speed and very few base clogging walks -- that's the important thing, right?
    That's the key. Make contact and run fast. Nothing worse than a slow guy drawing a walk.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    That's the key. Make contact and run fast. Nothing worse than a slow guy drawing a walk.
    Well, a slow guy making an out is worse.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Dusty Baker's got a clear history on this, if you play CF, you hit leadoff. If Hamilton's in CF, he's the leadoff hitter. If someone else is in CF, then that's the leadoff hitter.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Well, a slow guy making an out is worse.
    Depends on how he makes an out. If it's a sharp groundball to SS, that's alright because he put the ball in play and he's not clogging up the bases.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I think some of these rumors are no more than a team showing up on a lot, looking around, kicking a few tires, etc.

I hope you're right. The thought of spending that kind of money on a 35-year old .250 hitter (talk about making a lot of outs--his OBP keeps dropping) is apalling to say the least. I'd much rather have banjo-hitting Hopper in there every day. He's cheaper and would likely be on base more.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Dusty Baker's got a clear history on this, if you play CF, you hit leadoff. If Hamilton's in CF, he's the leadoff hitter. If someone else is in CF, then that's the leadoff hitter.
    If CF is a Hamilton/Freel/Hopper platoon, that's not a bad thing. Fingers crossed, eh?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    If CF is a Hamilton/Freel/Hopper platoon, that's not a bad thing. Fingers crossed, eh?
    Generally speaking, OF have some offensive talent. So Dusty's CF-leadoff proclivity is based on a fairly sound principle. Obviously it can fail on the particulars (e.g. Juan Pierre in 2005), but most OFs have to hit to put food on the table.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

I see Hopper as more of a #2 hitter than a leadoff guy. With a runner on first he can either sacrifice the runner to 2nd or drag it for a base hit. Then you have some ducks on the pond for Jr, Dunn, etc. With no one on base, I think Hopper's bunting ability is less of a weapon since he's somewhat walk averse.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    That's a lot of outs at the top.
    And a colossal waste of Phillips HR power.
    Go Gators!

Bump.

This now becomes a serious topic of discussion.

Barring another acquisition, I'd say Phillips or Gonzalez. Not that I would do that.

If Bruce is the lineup, it's going to be interesting. Phillips I imagine will get first crack at it due to his speed and playing the middle IF. That said, I don't think Bruce starts the season with the Reds. I think we're looking at Freel or Hopper.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Hopper
    Phillips
    Griffey
    Dunn
    EE
    Votto
    Gonzalez
    Ross

Barring further changes, that's my guess of the opening day lineup. If Dusty is R/L/R obsessed (and I fear he might be)

Hopper
    Phillips
    Griffey
    EE
    Dunn
    Gonzalez
    Votto
    Ross

My version of the non-Bruce lineup is:
    EE
    Dunn
    Griffey
    Phillips
    Votto
    Ross
    Gonzalez
    Hopper

But I'm going to go out on a limb and say that won't happen.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 12-21-2007 at 06:05 PM.

I like Votto
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Votto
    Phillips
    Griffey
    Dunn
    EE
    Bruce
    Gonzalez
    Ross

would be mine

Turn Off Ads?