Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: If Hamilton is traded, who hits leadoff?

Re: If Hamilton is traded, who hits leadoff?

I think Hopper's going to bat leadoff to start the season. This will back up everyone's fear about Dusty only playing veterans.(Not sure when Hopper switched over to veteranness)

He'll bat .330, OBP of .370 and Redszone will blow up.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    1B Votto
    3B Encarnacion
    LF Dunn (or RF Griffey)
    RF Griffey (or LF Dunn)
    CF Bruce
    2B Phillips
    C Ross
    SS Gonzalez

It's what I'd do. It's also what we'll never see for even one game in 2008.
    It's still what I'd do.

It's still also what we'll never see for even one game in 2008.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I forgot you posted that lineup, Cyclone.

I would go with one of these 2.

Votto
    EE
    Dunn
    Griffey
    Bruce
    Phillips
    Gonzalez
    Ross

or

Votto
    Bruce
    Dunn
    Griffey
    EE
    Phillips
    Gonzalez
    Ross

Regardless, Phillips, Freel, Hopper, Gonzalez all are completely unacceptable options to leadoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post

Votto
    EE
    Dunn
    Griffey
    Bruce
    Phillips
    Gonzalez
    Ross

or

Votto
    Bruce
    Dunn
    Griffey
    EE
    Phillips
    Gonzalez
    Ross

Regardless, Phillips, Freel, Hopper, Gonzalez all are completely unacceptable options to leadoff.
    So you want to start a lineup with 4 lefties, followed by 4 righties?

Not that I want to see it, but leading off might be good for Phillips. He'd get to see more fastballs.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    So you want to start a lineup with 4 lefties, followed by 4 righties?

Not that I want to see it, but leading off might be good for Phillips. He'd get to see more fastballs.
    Well, Dusty Baker certainly isn't Jerry Narron, so I don't see Dusty going by the strict mandate that you must break up lefties and righties. 4 lefties followed by 4 righties probably wouldn't be the smartest lineup in later innings, but damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead. Or something like that.

Just b/c Phillips might see more fastballs at the top of the lineup doesn't mean he'd put more of them in play, and should he somehow put more of them in play doesn't mean it would help him with any of AVG, OBP or SLG. Given Phillips' track record of making outs, I have a feeling he'd just make more outs given the opportunity to have more PA due to the fact he'd be at the top of the lineup.

I bet Bruce starts in AAA and the Reds go with Freel/Hopper in CF to start the year and keep them there all year (if they don't go after Cameron). That's your leadoff hitter (for better or worse, we might as well get used to the idea). Bruce doesn't come up until Dunn is traded or Jr. gets hurt.

If the Reds go after Cameron, it's a short-term deal (a few years) to give Stubbs time to see if he can develop, and Bruce still bides his time waiting for Dunn to get traded or Jr. to get hurt.

I bet that's the quiet long-range organization plan at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I bet Bruce starts in AAA and the Reds go with Freel/Hopper in CF to start the year and keep them there all year. That's your leadoff hitter (for better or worse, we might as well get used to the idea). Bruce doesn't come up until Dunn is traded or Jr. gets hurt.

I agree that Bruce will start in the minors and eventually replace KGJr in right.

Well, Dusty Baker certainly isn't Jerry Narron, so I don't see Dusty going by the strict mandate that you must break up lefties and righties. 4 lefties followed by 4 righties probably wouldn't be the smartest lineup in later innings, but damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead. Or something like that.

Just b/c Phillips might see more fastballs at the top of the lineup doesn't mean he'd put more of them in play, and should he somehow put more of them in play doesn't mean it would help him with any of AVG, OBP or SLG. Given Phillips' track record of making outs, I have a feeling he'd just make more outs given the opportunity to have more PA due to the fact he'd be at the top of the lineup.
    There is a difference between what Narron did and just smart baseball. Narron split up Dunn and Griffey with Jeff freaking Conine. To place 4 lefties and 2 rookies and the top of the lineup just doesn't seem like a smart baseball move.

Also, if not Bruce then I'd like to see a Dickerson and Hopper platoon in CF.

Phillips benefited greatly from batting between Griffey and Dunner last year. He posted a .306/.352/.493/.844 line with 15 homers and 52 RBIs. The other spot he hit was 2nd, where he posted a .278/.309/.484/.794 line. Now I can't sit here and say he hit well between Griffey and Dunn because he saw a steadier diet of fastballs, but I think it's a possibility. So if you don't hit him 4th, 1st is probably the 2nd best option.
    Last edited by reds44; 12-22-2007 at 01:10 AM.

Reds could do what the Astros did with Hunter Pence last year and have him start the season in the minors and get the callup by the end of May or early June. There is no way they will have him on the club sitting on the bench.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Votto
    EE
    Dunn
    Griffey
    Bruce
    Phillips
    Gonzalez
    Ross

or

Votto
    Bruce
    Dunn
    Griffey
    EE
    Phillips
    Gonzalez
    Ross

I like Votto at leadoff, but having two rookies hitting 1-2 out of the gate is probably not going to happen, which I happen to agree with.

Here's my thinking:

Votto, Phillips, Dunn, Jr, EE, Bruce, Gonzo, Ross if OD were tomorrow.

What I expect to see:
    Freel/Hopper, Phillips, Jr, Dunn, EE, Votto, Gonzo, Ross

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I like Votto at leadoff, but having two rookies hitting 1-2 out of the gate is probably not going to happen, which I happen to agree with.

Here's my thinking:

Votto, Phillips, Dunn, Jr, EE, Bruce, Gonzo, Ross if OD were tomorrow.

What I expect to see:
    Freel/Hopper, Phillips, Jr, Dunn, EE, Votto, Gonzo, Ross
    Despite everyone wanting it to happen, is there any chance Dunn bats 3rd this year?

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    Despite everyone wanting it to happen, is there any chance Dunn bats 3rd this year?
    I think there is a very real possibility that Dunn and Griffey will be in the #3-4 spots this year. Which one hits third and which one is fourth, I don't know. But I think that they will be the two hitters for those spots. Remember, Dusty was a power-hitting corner OF who often hit in the middle of the lineup. He's going to LOVE Dunn and Griffey.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

My biggest concern is dropping him to 6th against lefties like Narron did last year, can't remember if Mackanin did or not, so flip flopping them doesn't matter, just keep Dunn out of anything below the 5th spot

Less then zero, JR will bat 3rd or it will be Phillips because 30/30 guys bat 3rd on most teams, Dunn will be one spot lower then JR.

EE would be a good 2 hitter, even last year when struggling he still got on base, maybe he could even leadoff.
    Go Gators!

I am a believer that Bruce starts in AAA for at least a month. Freel and Hopper share time in CF and lead off. I think Dusty needs to reign in Freel, don't give him the luxury to steal at his leisure... Hopper spells freel bc we know statistically freel doesnt produce when hes an everyday guy.

I'm sort of warming to Dunn batting in the 2 spot bc we have such a glut of 3-6 hitters

Pre-Bruce I like...

Freel
    Dunn
    Griffey
    Phillips
    Votto
    EE
    Gonzalez
    Ross

Post Bruce I'd probably just lead off with him...

Bruce
    EE
    Griffey
    Phillips
    Dunn
    Gonzalez
    Votto
    Ross

with freel spelling all three OFs and EE to start and lead off three days a week, the super sub role he belongs in.

BTW can we change the title of this thread to Who hits leadoff with Hamilton traded?
    Last edited by The_jbh; 12-22-2007 at 05:44 PM. Reason: addition

Turn Off Ads?