Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prior now a free agent

Prior now a free agent

Is it safe to assume he'll be a Red or Padre?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Prior now a free agent

Cubs cut Prior loose

December 12, 2007
    BY GORDON WITTENMYER gwittenmyer@suntimes.com

The long, winding and mostly frustrating road of Mark Prior's career as a Cub has officially come to an end with the Cubs' decision tonight to non-tender the former 18-game winner, sources said.

Prior, who is rehabbing from shoulder surgery eight months ago, was eligible for arbitration - a process that would have meant a projected salary of about $3.4 million for a pitcher whose health for the season was at least in doubt.

Negotiations on a possible contract that would have called for a lower salary stalled weeks ago over the Cubs' offer and their demand for a club option for 2009 - which would have bought out Prior's first year of free agency.

Facing an 11 p.m. deadline for offering arbitration, and failing in an attempt to trade him for a prospect, the Cubs instead cut loose the former No. 2 overall draft pick, making Prior a free agent.

As to whether the Padres are interested in him:

After gathering medical information on Cubs pitcher Mark Prior, who is coming off shoulder surgery, the Padres have cooled somewhat on the former USDHS star, who would become a free agent today if the Cubs do not tender him a contract.

I expect whatever the Padres saw in the medical report was enough for them to decide not to pursue Mark Prior.
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 12-12-2007 at 10:21 PM.

I just wonder as well...I loathe the Cubs but they aren't idiots either. Gotta be something seriously wrong with him if they are just going to cut him loose. Sure go ahead and sign him if you want...but don't be shocked when he doesn't pan out. I swear I'm not trying to be negative...just pointing out the fact that the Cubs are letting him walk out the door.

If we want to have dead weight on the roster we sign him

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    If we want to have dead weight on the roster we sign him

I would rather the Reds waste a few million dollars on him rather than Brett Tomko.

Why wouldn't Prior want to come to a team managed by a guy that most of the world thinks ruined his career.

I just don't see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRed1966 View Post
    I would rather the Reds waste a few million dollars on him rather than Brett Tomko.
    both are pretty much worthless

That’s what they said about Chris Carpenter after the 2002 season too, and he gave the Cards 3 excellent seasons after they signed him.

Quote Originally Posted by jmble View Post
    Why wouldn't Prior want to come to a team managed by a guy that most of the world thinks ruined his career.

I just don't see it happening.
    Because maybe he knows that is crap. Say that Prior is healthy but not quite what he used to be, perhaps 85%. Would you be happy with 180-200 IP and 180 K's with maybe an ERA around 4? Sounds like a very solid mid-rotation starter to me. Question is, how healthy is he and does his name show up in the Mitchell Report?

Why can't we sign him to a minor league deal with incentives based on innings pitched, games won, etc.?

If he's not healthy, it doesn't hurt you. If he comes around and can contribute.......he helps the team and he can make money based on reaching the incentives? A win-win situation.

Rangers non-tendered RHP Akinori Otsuka
    Career ERA - 2.44
    ERA past 2 seasons - 2.11 / 2.51
    He's injured, but he would be under control until 2009....
    We should get him and hope he stays healthy

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I just wonder as well...I loathe the Cubs but they aren't idiots either. Gotta be something seriously wrong with him if they are just going to cut him loose. Sure go ahead and sign him if you want...but don't be shocked when he doesn't pan out. I swear I'm not trying to be negative...just pointing out the fact that the Cubs are letting him walk out the door.
    Read where the Padres backed off when they read his medical report. I still think he would be worth trying though, he may never be back to what he was but he would be worth the gamble and if was to return to form the WOW!!
    Last edited by Bigredfan#1; 12-13-2007 at 01:09 AM.

I value great injured players more than average reliable players, so guys like Gagne/Prior/Otsuka/Wood/etc are pitchers I think would be good fits since it's a high reward type situation. We just stash them on the DL when hurt, but have an immediate upgrade when healthy.

Would it be wrong for me to suggest that we wait until after 2 pm Thursday to form any solid opinions on picking up Prior.....wink wink.

With the names of Wells, and Tomko, and others of the such being tossed around, I think Prior is well worth the chance....even with the injury risk. I say make it worth his while with a 1 year deal and the possibility of signing him longer if he performs well....heck who knows. I wonder just what Dusty's opinion on this is.

I really loved the reference earlier about how Chris Carpenter was 'washed-up' when the Cards decided to give him another shot.

A fun fact about that is, Carpenter had just sat out an entire season and was 29, when the Cards gave him that second shot and although injuries have resurfaced last year, he did lead them to a WS championship.

Now back to Prior...you may forget but he is only 27, actually just turned 27 in September so he will be 27 the entire, or most if the entire season. And similar to Carpenter he didn't pitch any of last season...the comparisons are just too similar....this is one move that i hope we just take a risk, and yes it will be a BIG risk on. Similar to that of Josh Hamilton!

Turn Off Ads?