Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds non-tendered RHP Brad Salmon

Reds non-tendered RHP Brad Salmon

Reds non-tendered RHP Brad Salmon and infielder-outfielder Jerry Gil.
    As many awful pitchers as the Reds went through last year, it was odd how little of a chance Salmon received. He ended up with a 4.13 ERA and a 22/10 K/BB ratio in 24 innings, giving him the third-lowest ERA in the pen, yet he still spent July and August in the minors and all but three of his 26 appearances came in losses. He'll want to head elsewhere as a free agent.

I really want to see why the Reds would have Sergio Valenzuela over Salmon, since thats essentially what they are doing. If money is the issue, then there is something desperately wrong with the organization.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...rt=MLB&id=4826
    Last edited by mlbfan30; 12-13-2007 at 01:03 AM. Reason: link

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds non-tendered RHP Brad Salmon

I checked the non-tender list and the Reds roster and both Brad Salmon and Jerry Gil are still on the roster. I have not seem them non-tendered right now. I would be interested to hear where you heard this.

Why? Why would they let Salmon go? Grr.

I'll get all the names the Reds should try to go after tomorrow.... there are some interesting players

It seems you are right. I thought it was a false report at first, but both Gil and Salmon have just been listed on the non-tender list. It was clear last September that the Reds didn't think much of Salmon with the way they rarely used him, but I thought he was the best young reliever on the roster. This really is a very questionable decision by Wayne Krivsky, especially since Sergio Valenzuela is still on the roster

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I checked the non-tender list and the Reds roster and both Brad Salmon and Jerry Gil are still on the roster. I have not seem them non-tendered right now. I would be interested to hear where you heard this.
    The post was edited. It now has a source.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    The post was edited. It now has a source.
    I checked the mlb.com list of 43 players non-tendered, and Salmon and Gil are now listed. I am very disappointed that the Reds released Brad Salmon.

What the hell?

There were a lot of players non-tendered that could help the Reds more than these two. Josh Towers, Brendan Donnelly,Akinori Otsuka and Mark Prior just to name a few. This could be a case where the Reds want to free up roster spots for two guys they think they can get.
    I believe that Gil could not be sent down before the rule 5 draft because he was on the DL when the season ended, but I have no idea why Salmon was not, if they were planning on non-tendering him. Maybe two guys were non-tendered by other clubs, that the Reds did not think would be available? Just a guess.

Reds re-sign Salmon, Gil to Minor deals
    Cincinnati also tenders 2008 contracts to Phillips, Belisle
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- The Reds did not tender Major League contracts to reliever Brad Salmon and infielder Jerry Gil on Wednesday, but they did re-sign the pair to Minor League deals and invited both to Major League Spring Training.

Salmon, 28, was 0-1 with a 4.13 ERA in 26 games as a rookie last season. He allowed 22 hits and 10 walks over 24 innings with 22 strikeouts and retired 20 of his 26 first batters. The right-hander also appeared in 37 games with Triple-A Louisville, where he was 2-2 with a 3.56 ERA.

Gil tore a right elbow ligament during Spring Training and missed most of the season after he had Tommy John surgery. He was on the active roster for the final five games but was only available as a pinch-runner.

As expected, contracts were tendered to the club's two arbitration eligible players -- second baseman Brandon Phillips and starting pitcher Matt Belisle.

The Reds 40-man roster currently stands at 38 players.

Mark Sheldon is a reporter for MLB.com.

This is much better news. They were not offered major league contracts, but they were offered minor league deals and will be in spring training. I expect this move was made to make room on the 40 man roster in anticipation of other things that might be done.

Not only tendered, but it says "they did re-sign". Good news.

From Krivsky is an idiot to Krivsky is a genius very quickly...

got alil captain in u?

very good move by krivsky to keep both on the roster both can be of help if needed to the big club.

Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan07 View Post
    very good move by krivsky to keep both on the roster both can be of help if needed to the big club.
    Salmon can be called up when Stanton is cut due to roid use.

man...and i was just about to go off about how Salmon is better than Majewski. O well. Good move.

Turn Off Ads?