Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fay Update (Time for a new Bedard thread)

Hybrid View

Fay Update (Time for a new Bedard thread)

Bedard update

While we wait for the Mitchell Report, here's an update:

The Reds remain hopeful that they can land Erik Bedard but not as hopeful as they were last week. Let's say 50-50. The Orioles continue to insist on Jay Bruce. The Reds aren't going to give him up. I'm not sure how or if the Miguel Tejada trade will affect this. The Orioles did get Luke Scott, a left-handed hitting outfielder, in the trade.

Even if the Reds can't land Bedard, they're dead set on having a proven starter in the mix. Oakland's Dan Haren is the best available. But Billy Beane is asking a lot -- probably too much for the Reds' tastes. That leaves Cliff Lee and the second-tier free agents. Dusty Baker told some people at the Winter Meetings that he would like to have Mark Prior, who the Cubs non-tendered. He's a huge risk because of his medical history. But, if he's healthy, the reward would be large.

Carlos Silva remains on unsigned. I'd be surprised if the Reds would lay out that kind of coin. But, then again, I didn't think they'd pay $46 million for Francisco Cordero.

-Fay
    Go BLUE!!!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Fay Update (Time for a new Bedard thread)

So next week, it'll be a 25% chance. Last week, 75%. This week, 50%.

Thanks for the update, Fay.

Who will blink first- MacPhail or Krivsky? I wonder if he's asking for Bruce straight up or as part of a package?
    Go BLUE!!!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Who will blink first- MacPhail or Krivsky? I wonder if he's asking for Bruce straight up or as part of a package?
    Andy Mac's probably asking for a Bruce package. I can't imagine the O's think that highly of Bruce. Bruce has tremendous value, but I just can't fathom he has straight up for Bedard value.

The more I think about Bedard vs Haren vs MacPhail vs Beane, I'd rather Krivsky work with Beane. At least they've had success in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    The more I think about Bedard vs Haren vs MacPhail vs Beane, I'd rather Krivsky work with Beane. At least they've had success in the past.
    I agree with this. It just seems like the Orioles front office is littered with hard to deal with types who don't want to do a deal unless it leans heavily in their favor.

Beane seems like a much more pragmatic fellow that doesn't feel the need to rip someone off in order to get the pieces back that he wants.

And yeah, he and Krivsky have dealt with each other in the past so on the surface it seems like they have a decent enough relationship to get something done that is fair for both parties.

For those that have already read my no to Lee speech, disregard.

Lee's numbers have trended in the wrong direction since he has broken into the league. Every year his Ks have decreased, while his hits, BB and HR per inning have steadily increased. He went down to Buffalo and gave up nearly 6 BB/9.

He publicly blamed the coaches for his struggles as they suggested a slight change to his delivery in the spring and he never was able to pitch the way he wanted. Perhaps they were attempting to prevent the aforementioned slide. He's a knucklehead. I would not be surprised to see him put up Milton like numbers in the Reds' homer friendly ballpark.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    For those that have already read my no to Lee speech, disregard.

Lee's numbers have trended in the wrong direction since he has broken into the league. Every year his Ks have decreased, while his hits, BB and HR per inning have steadily increased. He went down to Buffalo and gave up nearly 6 BB/9.

He publicly blamed the coaches for his struggles as they suggested a slight change to his delivery in the spring and he never was able to pitch the way he wanted. Perhaps they were attempting to prevent the aforementioned slide. He's a knucklehead. I would not be surprised to see him put up Milton like numbers in the Reds' homer friendly ballpark.
    sometimes Indian disappointments blossom with the Reds

Good grief.

I can't see the Bedard thing happening at all. They land Scott, and they're still insisting on Bruce. Forget about them wanting Hamilton.

They still might want Votto, Bailey and change, but it's not looking good on this front.

I hope Wayne moves on to Oakland, even if for Blanton or Harden as opposed to Haren (if Bruce is the asking price).

Grab one of the Oakland guys, try to get Capuano, and call it an off season.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Good grief.

I can't see the Bedard thing happening at all. They land Scott, and they're still insisting on Bruce. Forget about them wanting Hamilton.

They still might want Votto, Bailey and change, but it's not looking good on this front.

I hope Wayne moves on to Oakland, even if for Blanton or Harden as opposed to Haren (if Bruce is the asking price).

Grab one of the Oakland guys, try to get Capuano, and call it an off season.
    Agree completely. I like Bedard even more than Haren, but I'm not trading Jay Bruce. Get Capuano first, then figure out which guy you want to pursue, and who you're willing to move to get him.

On another note, wouldn't it be something if they got both Prior and Harden? Maybe between the two of them they could equal one healthy player?
    Go BLUE!!!

On another note, wouldn't it be something if they got both Prior and Harden? Maybe between the two of them they could equal one healthy player?
    They could alternate trips to the DL and the mound.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    They could alternate trips to the DL and the mound.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. We could have a platoon for our #2 starter.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Good grief.

I'm afraid we aren't going to have a chair to sit on when the music stops, and Wayne isn't going to get us a stud pitcher.

Baltimore actually wants to trade Bedard. The Reds refuse to give Bruce. But there's probably another 6 teams also in on Bedard.
    Cleveland is now in on the action. The thing is, if the Reds refuse to budge on Bruce, my guess is that the O's will find someone who will give in on their demands.

I doubt the Reds are in on Santana.

SF was quoted as saying that Cain and Linecrum are off the table, now that they signed their FA CF.. I question whether they were ever really on the table to begin with.

Likewise, I think Beane is just shopping Haren to see if someone gets desparate. I can almost guarantee that the asking price will be more than Bedard. Why should Beane settle for less? He's got Haren locked up for 3 years?

So, who's left?
    It's apparent that Wayne is trying to play "Wait and see" and hope the price drops. I think every day that passes makes it less likely the deal gets done. Oakland and Baltimore are going to think that Bruce (and who knows what other prospets) are untouchable and just cross the Reds off their list.
    I fear we are going to see a talent rich team like the Indians swoop in and grab Bedard, and then Haren's price goes up even more, and Wayne will be too stubborn to pay.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Oakland and Baltimore are going to think that Bruce (and who knows what other prospets) are untouchable and just cross the Reds off their list
    good

frankly, I suspect that Bruce is the logjam blocking trades for all of the available pitchers in baseball. No team can trade a big pitcher until they're certain that they couldn't have had Bruce. Oakland would love to see Bedard go someplace besides Cincy, thinking that the Reds would then have to blink.

those teams are crazy not to go for Hamilton, IMO. And I'm happy if we can manage to hold onto both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    good

frankly, I suspect that Bruce is the logjam blocking trades for all of the available pitchers in baseball. No team can trade a big pitcher until they're certain that they couldn't have had Bruce. Oakland would love to see Bedard go someplace besides Cincy, thinking that the Reds would then have to blink.

those teams are crazy not to go for Hamilton, IMO. And I'm happy if we can manage to hold onto both of them.
    I completely agree. If Beane and MacPhail aren't willing to accept Bailey and Votto/Hamilton as the primary principles in a deal, then I start looking at guys like Chris Capuano, Mark Prior, Josh Towers, and maybe even Cliff Lee to fill the rotation holes. I'm happy with the fact that other teams don't seem to value Hamilton as much as we do.
    Go BLUE!!!

I completely agree. If Beane and MacPhail aren't willing to accept Bailey and Votto/Hamilton as the primary principles in a deal, then I start looking at guys like Chris Capuano, Mark Prior, Josh Towers, and maybe even Cliff Lee to fill the rotation holes. I'm happy with the fact that other teams don't seem to value Hamilton as much as we do.
    Then they are going to continue to be the Cincinnati Reds.....small market team that survives on the fringes. Ever since Barry Larkin this franchise has had the disease that causes the players to dictate the direction the franchise takes.

Now it is Jay Bruce....through no fault of his own I am sure (other than being talented). NO SINGLE PLAYER should ever be more important than the team's ability to compete.....to compete with the best 25 players playing positions that are best for the TEAM.

If Jay Bruce keeps this franchise from fielding a less than embarrassing rotation, then he hurts the franchise instead of helping it.

For the first time in a long time (since Bob Howsam in MHO) the Reds have a CHANCE....just a CHANCE to have the right 25 players. And what is killing that CHANCE is a prospect with little more than a year on minor league ball who now is supposed to be better than Ken Griffey Jr.

When I hear that, I just remember that Chris Gruler was the next Tom Seaver.

"Is there a problem officers?"

Turn Off Ads?