Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 77

Thread: Fay Update (Time for a new Bedard thread)

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,893

    Fay Update (Time for a new Bedard thread)

    Bedard update

    While we wait for the Mitchell Report, here's an update:

    The Reds remain hopeful that they can land Erik Bedard but not as hopeful as they were last week. Let's say 50-50. The Orioles continue to insist on Jay Bruce. The Reds aren't going to give him up. I'm not sure how or if the Miguel Tejada trade will affect this. The Orioles did get Luke Scott, a left-handed hitting outfielder, in the trade.

    Even if the Reds can't land Bedard, they're dead set on having a proven starter in the mix. Oakland's Dan Haren is the best available. But Billy Beane is asking a lot -- probably too much for the Reds' tastes. That leaves Cliff Lee and the second-tier free agents. Dusty Baker told some people at the Winter Meetings that he would like to have Mark Prior, who the Cubs non-tendered. He's a huge risk because of his medical history. But, if he's healthy, the reward would be large.

    Carlos Silva remains on unsigned. I'd be surprised if the Reds would lay out that kind of coin. But, then again, I didn't think they'd pay $46 million for Francisco Cordero.

    -Fay
    Go BLUE!!!

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Fay Update (Time for a new Bedard thread)

    So next week, it'll be a 25% chance. Last week, 75%. This week, 50%.

    Thanks for the update, Fay.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,893

    Re: Fay Update (Time for a new Bedard thread)

    Who will blink first- MacPhail or Krivsky? I wonder if he's asking for Bruce straight up or as part of a package?
    Go BLUE!!!

  5. #4
    Ripsnort wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    7,595

    Re: Fay Update (Time for a new Bedard thread)

    Good grief.

    I can't see the Bedard thing happening at all. They land Scott, and they're still insisting on Bruce. Forget about them wanting Hamilton.

    They still might want Votto, Bailey and change, but it's not looking good on this front.

    I hope Wayne moves on to Oakland, even if for Blanton or Harden as opposed to Haren (if Bruce is the asking price).

    Grab one of the Oakland guys, try to get Capuano, and call it an off season.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

  6. #5
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Fay Update (Time for a new Bedard thread)

    Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Who will blink first- MacPhail or Krivsky? I wonder if he's asking for Bruce straight up or as part of a package?
    Andy Mac's probably asking for a Bruce package. I can't imagine the O's think that highly of Bruce. Bruce has tremendous value, but I just can't fathom he has straight up for Bedard value.

    The more I think about Bedard vs Haren vs MacPhail vs Beane, I'd rather Krivsky work with Beane. At least they've had success in the past.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,893

    Re: Fay Update (Time for a new Bedard thread)

    Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Good grief.

    I can't see the Bedard thing happening at all. They land Scott, and they're still insisting on Bruce. Forget about them wanting Hamilton.

    They still might want Votto, Bailey and change, but it's not looking good on this front.

    I hope Wayne moves on to Oakland, even if for Blanton or Harden as opposed to Haren (if Bruce is the asking price).

    Grab one of the Oakland guys, try to get Capuano, and call it an off season.
    Agree completely. I like Bedard even more than Haren, but I'm not trading Jay Bruce. Get Capuano first, then figure out which guy you want to pursue, and who you're willing to move to get him.

    On another note, wouldn't it be something if they got both Prior and Harden? Maybe between the two of them they could equal one healthy player?
    Go BLUE!!!

  8. #7
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Guelph, ON
    Posts
    16,093

    Re: Fay Update (Time for a new Bedard thread)

    I think MacPhail knows how difficult it's going to be turn this thing around and how he absolutely has to get the most for Bedard as possible. The demand for him won't go away, so I can see how he'd hold out. Frankly, I think Seattle is likely to give in before Krivsky -- based on the stupidity of the other moves they've made.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  9. #8
    I hate the Cubs LoganBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,181

    Re: Fay Update (Time for a new Bedard thread)

    Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    On another note, wouldn't it be something if they got both Prior and Harden? Maybe between the two of them they could equal one healthy player?
    They could alternate trips to the DL and the mound.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,893

    Re: Fay Update (Time for a new Bedard thread)

    Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    They could alternate trips to the DL and the mound.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. We could have a platoon for our #2 starter.
    Go BLUE!!!

  11. #10
    Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,078

    Re: Fay Update (Time for a new Bedard thread)

    I'd love to get Bedard... but if not i'd sign the following:

    Josh Towers and Mark Prior

    and then look to make a deal with either Cliff Lee or Chris Capuano.

    This allows you to keep most of your prospects and a rotation of:

    Harang
    Arroyo
    Capuano/Lee
    Towers
    Bailey/Cueto/Belisle

    (Belisle would then be moved to pen if not in rotation)

    And have Prior around June or July.
    "I could watch video of Griffey swinging all day. It's like baseball porn." - C. Trent Rosecrans


    2008 Reds Record When I Attend: 9W - 5L

    2009 Reds Record When I Attend: 1W - 2L

    2010 Reds Record When I Attend: 1W - 0L

    2011 Reds Record When I Attend: 0W - 1L

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,893

    Re: Fay Update (Time for a new Bedard thread)

    Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    I'd love to get Bedard... but if not i'd sign the following:

    Josh Towers and Mark Prior

    and then look to make a deal with either Cliff Lee or Chris Capuano.

    This allows you to keep most of your prospects and a rotation of:

    Harang
    Arroyo
    Capuano/Lee
    Towers
    Bailey/Cueto/Belisle

    (Belisle would then be moved to pen if not in rotation)

    And have Prior around June or July.

    Belisle will be in the rotation no matter what. He is primed to have a breakout season. I wouldn't mind signing Prior and Towers and trading for Capuano (who I would much prefer to Lee), particularly if Haren and Bedard are just too expensive. However, I do believe Krivsky will get either Haren or Bedard, because when he really gets determined to acquire something, (in this case a top shelf pitcher), he usually does it- even if he has to overpay. I'm just hoping he doesn't overpay by too much.

    If I'm Wayne, I first offer Milwaukee a package of Stubbs, Freel, and Coffey for Chris Capuano. If they turn it down, I see what they'd want in return, and strongly consider it. Then, I offer one from each of the following groups for both Haren and Bedard, and see which GM bites first.

    Group A: Bailey or Cueto
    Group B: Hamilton or Votto
    Group C: Any minor leaguer not named Frazier, Maloney, Wood, Stubbs, or anyone from Groups A or B.

    If he gets Capuano and either Haren or Bedard, the Reds are set heading into next year. If one of the above deals doesn't work out, I wouldn't mind them signing Josh Towers and/or Mark Prior to fill out the rotation. I also wouldn't mind them taking a flier on Kevin Mench as a 1B platoon guy, but won't cry if they don't. Keppinger would be adequete in that role.

    Either way, you have one of the following three rotations:

    ROTATION 1
    SP Harang
    SP Bedard/Haren
    SP Arroyo
    SP Capuano
    SP Belisle

    ROTATION 2
    SP Harang
    SP Bedard/Haren
    SP Arroyo
    SP Belisle
    SP Towers/Prior

    ROTATION 3
    SP Harang
    SP Arroyo
    SP Capuano
    SP Belisle
    SP Bailey/Towers/Prior

    I'd be very content heading into 2008 with any of those 3 rotations.
    Please take my advice Wayne.
    Last edited by Benihana; 12-13-2007 at 12:56 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

  13. #12
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    6,523

    Re: Fay Update (Time for a new Bedard thread)

    Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    I'd love to get Bedard... but if not i'd sign the following:

    Josh Towers and Mark Prior

    and then look to make a deal with either Cliff Lee or Chris Capuano.

    This allows you to keep most of your prospects and a rotation of:

    Harang
    Arroyo
    Capuano/Lee
    Towers
    Bailey/Cueto/Belisle

    (Belisle would then be moved to pen if not in rotation)

    And have Prior around June or July.
    Would you be putting Prior in the pen or is this assuming he starts on the DL?

  14. #13
    Cruisin' for trouble
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    3,290

    Re: Fay Update (Time for a new Bedard thread)

    The O's are going to have to find a SS now that Tejada is gone. They don't have one in the pipeline and the Reds are a poor match to fill that hole. Seattle has a SS prospect, but the O's are going to have to do something here.

    Let's go with:
    Bailey/Cueto, Hamilton, Keppinger, Wood

    for

    Bedard and Cabrera

    Bailey/Cueto and Hamilton should really be enough for Bedard, but tossing in a shortstop (has to be Keppinger due to age and salary) to cover the next year or two should help fill all of the holes the Orioles have. Wood balances out the trade when bringing back Cabrera.

    Hamilton fills their CF need as they would love to get rid of/deal Payton.

    Cabrera fills the #5 slot and relieves some of the pressure on Bailey/Cueto (whoever is not traded) to naturally develop into the rotation.

  15. #14
    Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,078

    Re: Fay Update (Time for a new Bedard thread)

    Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Belisle will be in the rotation no matter what. He is primed to have a breakout season. I wouldn't mind signing Prior and Towers and trading for Capuano (who I would much prefer to Lee), particularly if Haren and Bedard are just too expensive. However, I do believe Krivsky will get either Haren or Bedard, because when he really gets determined to acquire something, (in this case a top shelf pitcher), he usually does it- even if he has to overpay. I'm just hoping he doesn't overpay by too much.
    Belisle could be just as valuable in the pen as he would be in the rotation. At one point in the season his starts were skipped. To say his rotation spot is solidified no matter what is pre-mature. I think if you add a control guy like Towers and trade for a Capuano or Lee and factor in Bailey and or Cueto (who some scouts say is further along then Bailey) where does that leave Belisle?
    "I could watch video of Griffey swinging all day. It's like baseball porn." - C. Trent Rosecrans


    2008 Reds Record When I Attend: 9W - 5L

    2009 Reds Record When I Attend: 1W - 2L

    2010 Reds Record When I Attend: 1W - 0L

    2011 Reds Record When I Attend: 0W - 1L

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,893

    Re: Fay Update (Time for a new Bedard thread)

    Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    Belisle could be just as valuable in the pen as he would be in the rotation. At one point in the season his starts were skipped. To say his rotation spot is solidified no matter what is pre-mature. I think if you add a control guy like Towers and trade for a Capuano or Lee and factor in Bailey and or Cueto (who some scouts say is further along then Bailey) where does that leave Belisle?
    If it came down to Belisle or Bailey in the rotation, I believe Bailey would start the year in Louisville. Belisle will be in the rotation in 2008.
    Go BLUE!!!


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25