Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fay Update (Time for a new Bedard thread)

Re: Fay Update (Time for a new Bedard thread)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Oakland and Baltimore are going to think that Bruce (and who knows what other prospets) are untouchable and just cross the Reds off their list
    good

frankly, I suspect that Bruce is the logjam blocking trades for all of the available pitchers in baseball. No team can trade a big pitcher until they're certain that they couldn't have had Bruce. Oakland would love to see Bedard go someplace besides Cincy, thinking that the Reds would then have to blink.

those teams are crazy not to go for Hamilton, IMO. And I'm happy if we can manage to hold onto both of them.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    sometimes Indian disappointments blossom with the Reds
    Cliff Lee is like post-roids Denny Neagle.

Sure, I remember Tim Costo too.

Sorry, he was the first one to come to mind, followed by Mark Lewis and Danny Graves.

Sure Lee has had success in the past and is not a bad bet, but he is also due $11 million the next 2 years and Shapiro's asking price (Shapiro understandably likes depth in the rotation). Of course 11 million would be a steal if he performs at 2005 standards but not so if he is Milton II.

Here's hoping it does not come to that.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    good

frankly, I suspect that Bruce is the logjam blocking trades for all of the available pitchers in baseball. No team can trade a big pitcher until they're certain that they couldn't have had Bruce. Oakland would love to see Bedard go someplace besides Cincy, thinking that the Reds would then have to blink.

those teams are crazy not to go for Hamilton, IMO. And I'm happy if we can manage to hold onto both of them.
    I completely agree. If Beane and MacPhail aren't willing to accept Bailey and Votto/Hamilton as the primary principles in a deal, then I start looking at guys like Chris Capuano, Mark Prior, Josh Towers, and maybe even Cliff Lee to fill the rotation holes. I'm happy with the fact that other teams don't seem to value Hamilton as much as we do.
    Go BLUE!!!

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'm curious why you'd prefer Lee. They're quite similar but Capuano strikes out about an extra guy per 9 and isn't quite the flyball pitcher Lee is.
    Lee will probably cost less in talent is one of the main reasons. Plus, I've eyeballed Lee having a little better stuff than Capuano. I did think Lee was younger, but checked it out and they're the same age. Then there is the unreliable method of Lee has looked better when I've seen him pitch, is a little more aggressive (got kicked out once for plunking a Red), and Capuano's stuff always makes me yawn when I watch him pitch. I know, real scientific, probably qualifies me for a Reds scouting position

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I'm afraid we aren't going to have a chair to sit on when the music stops, and Wayne isn't going to get us a stud pitcher.
    I'm not sure the delays are on the Reds' side. The Baltimore FO is a many-headed monster that makes decisions on a Congressional timeline. They've missed out on free agents they wanted because they don't have a single person who can sign off on the deals. Angelos, plus his sons, plus Syd Thrift and a few others are part of the decision making process, along with MacPhail.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. -- Terrance Mann (Field of Dreams)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Cliff Lee is like post-roids Denny Neagle.
    Cliff Lee and Chris Capuano are both acquisitions that I want no part of.

Bring players in that improve the rotation, not just provide a new name for the same garbage numbers.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

According to Peter Schmuck, the Orioles fire sale is just starting:

MacPhail was brought in to do this kind of dirty work, and there is more to do. Don't be surprised if pitching ace Erik Bedard is headed to the Los Angeles Dodgers or Seattle Mariners between now and the start of spring training. Don't be surprised if the Orioles give away Melvin Mora and Jay Payton or even pay someone to take them. Don't be entirely surprised if the Orioles pay recently suspended outfielder Jay Gibbons big bucks just to stay away.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Cliff Lee and Chris Capuano are both acquisitions that I want no part of.

Bring players in that improve the rotation, not just provide a new name for the same garbage numbers.
    Have you ever actually looked at Chris Capuano's numbers?
    Last edited by Benihana; 12-13-2007 at 05:07 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

What a great last name - Schmuck. The family reunions must be comedy gold.

"I've never seen so many Scmucks in my life. That Schmuck over there - he works for the govt. That Schmuck, he's a proctologist."

Comedy gold.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Peter Schmuck has got to be a pseudonym. If not, it belongs alongside Dick Pole, Willy B. Long, and Harry P. Ness on the list of names that make Junior High kids snicker.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Peter Schmuck has got to be a pseudonym. If not, it belongs alongside Dick Pole, Willy B. Long, and Harry P. Ness on the list of names that make Junior High kids snicker.
    they've scheduled a Dickiethon in the Fukudome

Haunted by walks

Peter Schmuck interviews J.J. Putz:

http://poynter.org/forum/view_post.asp?id=8366

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Peter Schmuck interviews J.J. Putz:

http://poynter.org/forum/view_post.asp?id=8366
    Oy Vey!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I completely agree. If Beane and MacPhail aren't willing to accept Bailey and Votto/Hamilton as the primary principles in a deal, then I start looking at guys like Chris Capuano, Mark Prior, Josh Towers, and maybe even Cliff Lee to fill the rotation holes. I'm happy with the fact that other teams don't seem to value Hamilton as much as we do.
    Then they are going to continue to be the Cincinnati Reds.....small market team that survives on the fringes. Ever since Barry Larkin this franchise has had the disease that causes the players to dictate the direction the franchise takes.

Now it is Jay Bruce....through no fault of his own I am sure (other than being talented). NO SINGLE PLAYER should ever be more important than the team's ability to compete.....to compete with the best 25 players playing positions that are best for the TEAM.

If Jay Bruce keeps this franchise from fielding a less than embarrassing rotation, then he hurts the franchise instead of helping it.

For the first time in a long time (since Bob Howsam in MHO) the Reds have a CHANCE....just a CHANCE to have the right 25 players. And what is killing that CHANCE is a prospect with little more than a year on minor league ball who now is supposed to be better than Ken Griffey Jr.

When I hear that, I just remember that Chris Gruler was the next Tom Seaver.

"Is there a problem officers?"

Turn Off Ads?