Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds and PEDs

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Reds and PEDs

Other than Stanton, no other Red was in the Mitchell report. The Reds also seem to be relatively free of the whispers that go around known PED users. Of course, we don't know they're clean for sure.

What I'm wondering is, how seriously do you want the Reds to take this issue? If you were running the team, do you get rid of anyone who you know or believe to be using, whether or not a test has been flunked or the substance in question is even detectable? Do you refuse to sign players who have ever been caught, even if supposedly clean now? How far do you go?

Alternatively, do you just adopt the "whatever everyone else is doing" philosophy? Or, as a fan, do you even care what these guys are doing so long as the Reds start winning?
    Last edited by IslandRed; 12-14-2007 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Decided not to include poll
    Not all who wander are lost

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds and PEDs

It clearly explains their difficulty winning since 1992...

Haunted by walks

It's an excellent question. I've been bothered by how Jose Guillen's and Mike Cameron's situations didn't seem to affect their chances of being signed one bit. I'm not favoring a lifetime ban, but I'd be disappointed if teams just routinely factor in such things as nothing more than a stint on the DL.

So far, the problems seem to have spread through a network with hubs in the Bay Area and New York, with various players passing through those teams and hooking up, if they were inclined to. I wouldn't be naive enough to think the Reds were immune to the temptations, though.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

The ends justify the means.

As long as Reds aren't betting/gambling on games, I couldn't care less what they do as long as it results in Ws.

Pitchers start trying to doctor the ball? Sure, go for it.
    Hitters start using doctored bats? Why the heck not?
    All players use PEDs? As long as they don't get caught, or if they do, we have capable players behind them to replace them. Even if they do get caught, it's not like they'll be alone, in fact they'll probably be in the majority. Do I want Reds to get caught using PEDs and have to face the consequences? No. But, if Reds do get caught using PEDs, it won't make me any less of a Reds fan.

Just don't fix games, just don't bet on games, that's all I ask. Bottomline, I want more Ws in the Queen City.

I think it's important to remember that Jose Guillen juicing may be a large reason why the Reds now have Aaron Harang. If Guillen wasn't juicing, would he have gone on that tear in 2003 while with the Reds? And if he didn't go on that tear, do the Reds trade him for Harang?

It's impossible to prove, but I do think it's likely that if Jose Guillen didn't start taking steroids, Aaron Harang would be pitching for some other team right now. For every out that Aaron Harang records in a Reds uniform, we may all have to start whispering "Thanks, Jose!"
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

We probably shouldn't forget about Denny Neagle either.

Was Neagle juicing while with the Reds? I don't know, but what if he was? He had a strong campaign in 2000 in a Reds uniform, and then Cincy flips him to the Yanks for a package that includes Drew Henson. Henson is later flipped back to the Yanks for Wily Mo Pena. Pena hits a few homers in a Reds uniform, and then is flipped to Boston for Bronson Arroyo in one of Krivsky's best moves during his tenure.

If Denny Neagle doesn't find the 'roids to his liking, does the above happen? Makes you think ....
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

I think its a great spot for Castellini to win a PR battle and release Stanton outright. Obviously it's not my money.
    Also it's odd because I don't care at all about PED's one way or the other, but if he said they were releasing Stanton and "would release anyone else associated with them."
    He would generate an awful lot of good will.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

I'm sure a few Reds hanging out at Charlie Sheen's house back in the day may have been users. I know they didn't go back that far, but I wouldn't have been surprised if they had turned up a link between Pete Rose and steroids. Hanging out at Golds Gym with guys like Paul Janszen and Tommy Gioiosa would be a logical link. Not saying that Pete was a user or anything, but if you were investigating steroid use in MLB clubhouses, that would definitely raise some red flags as a potential conduit. I'd say you would have to investigate that to see if anything was there.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    The ends justify the means.

Oh, really?

So you're OK with it if I figure that you've stuck a needle in your butt and I have no respect for you for having done so?

Have you made 'the tour'? What, exactly, would you be willing to do to make that 'end' justifiable?

Really. I'd like to know where your personal moral boundries lie.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Oh, really?

So you're OK with it if I figure that you've stuck a needle in your butt and I have no respect for you for having done so?
    Personally, I'm OK with that. In my personal life, I'm not that concerned with people who don't have respect for me, or the things I've done.
    Have you made 'the tour'? What, exactly, would you be willing to do to make that 'end' justifiable?
    I'm not sure what you mean by "the tour", but every man has to answer one question for himself. I have, and I actually sleep better at night because of it.
    Really. I'd like to know where your personal moral boundries lie.
    Rem
    While I can't speak for anyone else, my personal moral boundries are this. Do what it takes to get it done.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Nd2:

I wasn't talking to you so your reply is out of context and makes no sense.

Rem

Turn Off Ads?