Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Team wants to share Spring Training with Reds

Team wants to share Spring Training with Reds

Missed this before on Nov 26th and didn't see it posted:

Another undisclosed team has contacted the Reds about sharing its existing facility.

"We're open to those discussions," Allen said. "One team has called us very aggressively. As an organization, we're not opposed to sharing a stadium and the dates. But we'd want our own Minor League complex.
    ----------------------------------------------------

So, who's that team? I'll eliminate the Arizona teams, and anyone that's sharing a facility now.

Possibles

Atlanta - (Orlando) - First team that comes to mind since there were talks to have Indians play there

Washington - (Viera - Melbourne) - Two reasons, one is Reds connection with Nats staff, second is area around ballpark has a lot of room, and third is area is growing rapidly and could support two teams.

Minnesota - (Ft Myers) A team that might want to share facilties, costs. Twins connection.

Pittsburgh - (Bradenton) - Only 5 miles from Sarasota. Facilities getting improved. A team that might want to share costs. But would the Reds want McKechnie as their stadium?

Detroit - (Lakeland) - Just can't think of a reason to dismiss it. They might want to share

Houston - (Kissimee) Newly renovated stadium, lots of green space around it for more facilities http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osceola_County_Stadium The stadium is not used for Florida State games, so having Sarasota Reds there would be a "plus".

Probably Not

St Louis and Marlins (Jupiter) - these teams both share a facility already. But someone is negotiating with Vero Beach and I think Cards are a possibility. If Cards leave Marlins might want a replacement.

Baltimore (Ft Lauderdale) - They are wrestling with their own problems now, unless they think adding a team makes it work for everyone

Unlikely

Boston - Why would they want us

Yankees - Why would they want us

Mets - Why would they want us

Tampa Bay - Totally brand new facility, can't see the need for them to want to share

Philadelphia - Brand new facility, I can't believe they need to share

Toronto - Stadium is a dump, if this was the team, I think the Reds would dismiss it almost without comment
    Last edited by JaxRed; 12-14-2007 at 02:55 PM.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Team wants to share Spring Training with Reds

I thought the Twins and the Red Sox shared in Ft. Myers?

No, both are in Ft Myers but different faciltities
    Last edited by JaxRed; 12-14-2007 at 02:55 PM.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

I say move them to Gainesville.

If its Bowden and the Nationals then I think the Reds need to file a restraining order against Bowden.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    If its Bowden and the Nationals then I think the Reds need to file a restraining order against Bowden.
    I can't quit you, Reds!
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

My feeling is that it is the Nationals and the Twins. One thing though, if it were the Nationals I can't see how John Allen would not have taken a shot at Bowden and denied them. He would probably have said something like "we had a team calling us every day concerning a shared facility BUT we quickly declined their overatures"...etc... i can't see Bowden and Allen co-existing in the same zip code.

My outside shot would be Houston (Kissimmee)
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Of course Allen is gone once the deal is done, and he's probably not dealing with Bowden on stadium (if it's them).

Twins have a nice stadium although it would be the worst choice for me (add 2 hours driving).

Why no love for the Atlanta choice?

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Of course Allen is gone once the deal is done, and he's probably not dealing with Bowden on stadium (if it's them).

Twins have a nice stadium although it would be the worst choice for me (add 2 hours driving).

Why no love for the Atlanta choice?
    If I had to be the one to choose I would ABSOLUTELY choose Orlando (Atlanta). Possibly the best facility in all of baseball. The only reason I can think they may want a partner would be for budget reasons. LOVE the facility.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red View Post
    I say move them to Gainesville.
    I'm for that
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post

I bet the Reds will play a lot of games with the team they share facilities with (if they go that way), because it's so convienent.

If they shared with the Nats, it would be like a month-long family reunion among the players

Also, what if a Reds player parks in Bowden's spot? Will he lobby Wayne to cut the guy?
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?