Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: D-Backs get Haren

D-Backs get Haren

Just reported on Sportscenter...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Re: D-Backs get Haren

I just read that, ED, at the Reds website, Here is what is being reported:

"PHOENIX -- The D-backs completed a deal to acquire right-handers Dan Haren and Connor Robertson from the A's in exchange for six prospects, it was announced Friday afternoon.
    In addition, the D-backs sent closer Jose Valverde to the Astros in exchange for infielder Chris Burke and right-handers Chad Qualls and Juan Gutierrez.

Included in the trade to Oakland are pitchers Brett Anderson, Greg Smith and Dana Eveland along with outfielders Carlos Gonzalez and Aaron Cunningham and first baseman Chris Carter."

What a shame but a too high of a price in talent. Wish the Reds could've gotten Haren but I'm glad we keep our guys, in this case.
    Last edited by Vada Pinson Fan; 12-14-2007 at 06:35 PM.

D-Backs also traded closer Valverde to the Astros for Chris Burke, Chad Qualls and another player.

what the...

I wonder what this does for the asking price for Bedard? I'm sure it'll go up.

I think Id rather keep our young guys after that deal

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fadetoblack2880 View Post
    I wonder what this does for the asking price for Bedard? I'm sure it'll go up.

No doubt it will. If that is the asking price, well, I'm content to keep our Big 4 and be happy about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Vada Pinson Fan View Post
    No doubt it will. If that is the asking price, well, I'm content to keep our Big 4 and be happy about it!
    I don't think it makes the price go up. I just think it makes it more likely that the Orioles get their price (from someone) and that it happens sooner than later. I wouldn't be shocked to see the Dodgers step up for Bedard big time after this trade.

I thought Chris Carter was traded to the Nationals, and then traded to the Red Sox for Wily Mo Pena?

Also, not a very high price in my mind, Besides Anderson and Carlos Gonzalez, I don't see any real big prospects. Looks like Billy Beane is in a rebuilding stage. Most of these guys are a year or two at least from producing at the major league level.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I thought Chris Carter was traded to the Nationals, and then traded to the Red Sox for Wily Mo Pena?

Also, not a very high price in my mind, Besides Anderson and Carlos Gonzalez, I don't see any real big prospects. Looks like Billy Beane is in a rebuilding stage. Most of these guys are a year or two at least from producing at the major league level.
    Looks that way. May as well ship Blanton to Cincinnati. I can live with that.

Well Haren is gone so which do you want or give up the lest for Harden or Blanton?

WOW!!! This deal has surprised. I wonder if they dealt Valverde away so they could get another OF in Burke? Isn't he a hometown (Cincy or Louisville) boy?

For the teams involved, I actually like both deal in favor of the DBacks, especially if they want to try and contend right now, which apparently they are going to try to do.

We all know about Danny Haren...

He went 15-9 last year with 192 Strike Outs. He has pitched 5 years in the bigs, 2 of which were spent with the St. Louis Cardinals which were basically just I suppose spot starts (now that is a guess as I really don't know) and only 14 games pitched per year, then the last 3 years he was with the A's and was phenominal. All of which were basically his first three full seasons in the bigs. He won 14, 14, and 15 games each season, but again, he has had a high loss total each year with 12, 13, and 9. But I am not totally familiar with his whole stats, so it could be because of a lack of run support (similar to Arroyo this past season, which is very possibly with the way the A's have been part of the time.) What impresses me the most about him is that his Strike Outs go up each season progressive, at 163, 176, and now 192. Put him in a Pitchers ballpark and well, I expect nothing but lights out, from him....bad that he is going to the NL!!!! He does even have World Series experience when he pitched for the Cardinals in 2004 although they did lose.

Now Connor Robertson, the other player in the deal that comes over to the Backs from the Athletics...he only has 3 games of Major League experience, all last season with the A's and they were all relief games. He was exactly lights out either. His ERA in those 3 games was a bloated 18.00! His minor league stats look alright...but again, I am not an expert when it comes to those, it appears he had an ERA of 0.93 and had 13 saves in 25 in 2004 in his best Minor League season. He is already 26, and hasn't had hardly any MLB experience.

Now the guys the DBacks gave up to the Athletics...

First, Brett Anderson a pitcher, he is 19 years old, with no majors experience from what I can find, and pitched in the Minors for season with a record of 11-7 with an ERA of 3.07, and 125 strikeouts. This was split between A and A+ ball.

Greg Smith, a pitcher, who will be 24 in about a week, and hasn't seen any majors experience evidently from what I can find. 3 seasons in the Minors where he averages about 9 victories per year. His ERA is somewhere in the mid 2's to 3's and he averages about 100 or Strikeouts per season. Not too bad even though he is getting up in age.

Dana Eveland, also a Pitcher, has 3 years of majors experience with both the Brewers and Diamondbacks. He pitched in 27 games for the Brew Crew in 2005, and 9 in 2006 and then 5 in 2007. All of them mostly in relief. He does have a bloated ERA with last year in ARI with it being well over 14.00. His Minors experience looks much better as he has started many games down there and his ERA over 5 seasons is a shade over 2.50. Averaging about 100 K's per year, and in both 04 and 05 got 9 and 10 wins respectively. I believe he can be decent if made a starter.

Will dissect the rest of this trade and the other trade and what the DBacks will look like after I eat some dinner.....

Houston defiantly got better in the last couple days

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    Houston defiantly got better in the last couple days
    I dont think so, right now they have 1 starting pitcher and 1 reliever, and just traded for a player that could see a steep decline soon.

Miggy is far better than burke even after last year, and they Still have Pence, Berkman, and Lee. Kaz Matsui and Micheal Bourn give them some speed at the top of the lineup and Mark Loretta is still a very solid player. Thats a pretty good lineup. I think I would take it over the Reds current batting order.

Valverde and Oscar Villarreal make for a pretty good back of the bullpen but the rest of the relievers aren’t that good at all.

Their starting pitching is defiantly a weakness though with only Oswalt at the top. Wandy Rodriguez isn’t horrible, id take him over Belisle but he’s nothing to write home about.

Still I think they've improved their team.
    Last edited by schmidty622; 12-14-2007 at 08:58 PM.

Turn Off Ads?