33 31.43%
  • Bailey

2 1.90%
  • Other

2 1.90%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Red is Worth the Most?

Which Red is Worth the Most?

Which Red is worth the most on the trade market right now? This is not a post to determine which Red you want to trade, but who would bring back the most talent if the Reds traded the player right now.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Which Red is Worth the Most?

Harang

Say whatever you want, but the answer is obvious. It's Jay Bruce.

it's obvious because that's what everyone is asking for.

Quote Originally Posted by jmble View Post
    Say whatever you want, but the answer is obvious. It's Jay Bruce.

it's obvious because that's what everyone is asking for.
    Only because they know there's no chance a team looking for a starter trades their best one. In terms of value both to the team and possible return, Harang wins this one hands down. In the NL, he's hands down a #1 guy. Lots of teams would pay quite a bit for that- see the bidding for Bedard and Haren for example. If the Reds were to put Harang on the market, and they shouldn't and won't the return would be enormous. Maybe not as much at Santana, but surely as much as Bedard or Haren will bring.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by rotnoid View Post
    Only because they know there's no chance a team looking for a starter trades their best one. In terms of value both to the team and possible return, Harang wins this one hands down. In the NL, he's hands down a #1 guy. Lots of teams would pay quite a bit for that- see the bidding for Bedard and Haren for example. If the Reds were to put Harang on the market, and they shouldn't and won't the return would be enormous. Maybe not as much at Santana, but surely as much as Bedard or Haren will bring.
    While I think the return should be as high as Bedard and Haren, I don't think that the rest of the league values the Reds players as much as we do.

I feel that Phillips is young enough and has the skill set that could net the Reds a lot or young talent. Also, since he did it in the leagues the last few years, his worth should be more than the hype around Bruce.

I voted for Bruce, only because I didn't read the choices closely enough. The answer to this question is Harang, and its not close. If Harang was available, he would bring similar value to Haren and Bedard. I'm guessing this value will end up being 2 BIG TIME prospects and a 3rd really good prospect. There is no way that Jay Bruce could bring that kind of package back. If he could, we should trade him today. It would be like trading 1 apple for 2 apples and an orange.

Harang, hands down. But that would be stupid.

Harang is a horse and he is signed cheap. If we were to trade him we would be asking for that teams Jay Bruce to start the conversation.
    Last edited by Orenda; 12-14-2007 at 02:55 PM.

Harang. Would you trade Harang for Bedard or Haren? I would consider trading Bruce for them, but would never consider trading Harang for them.
    Pitching is always more valuable than position players, and with Bruce still an unknown and Harang one of the top 5 starters in the league, my answer is Harang.

Harang is a #1 pitcher under contract for many more years. He is comparable to Bedard and Haren. There is a reason that we would have to trade Bruce PLUS other prospects in order to get them. Please do not tell me Brandon Phillips is worth more than Aaron Harang. Which player costs for in the trade market: Brian Roberts or Erik Bedard? Becuase those are two very good comparisons value wise...

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Harang by a mile. Pitching, especially like Aaron Harang pitches is almost impossible to acquire let alone bring up from the minors. We were so lucky to trade Guillen to the A's and get Mr. Harang!!!

Quote Originally Posted by summerplight View Post
    Harang is a horse and he is signed cheap. If we were to trade him we would be asking for that teams Jay Bruce to start the conversation.
    No other team has a Jay Bruce. He is the best overall prospect in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Harang. Would you trade Harang for Bedard or Haren? I would consider trading Bruce for them, but would never consider trading Harang for them.
    Pitching is always more valuable than position players, and with Bruce still an unknown and Harang one of the top 5 starters in the league, my answer is Harang.
    When years left and price of contract come into the equation I don't know if there is anyone in baseball that I would trade Harang for. For a small market franchise he may be the most valuable not under rookie contract player in baseball. I guess price wise you could consider Grady Sizemore. He is a star and makes backup money.

Quote Originally Posted by BucksandReds View Post
    When years left and price of contract come into the equation I don't know if there is anyone in baseball that I would trade Harang for. For a small market franchise he may be the most valuable not under rookie contract player in baseball. I guess price wise you could consider Grady Sizemore. He is a star and makes backup money.
    So your saying you would not trade 3 years 33 million of Harang for 6 years 70 Million of David Wright?
    I'd say Wright is easily the most valuable player for the price/contract. Sizemore is cheaper but his deal ends 2 years earlier. Also Wright is a lot better.
    Jay Bruce should have more value simply because of the fact he will have 2 years of min, and incremental amounts afterwards way below FA market. Bruce should match in 6 years, 3 years of Harang. And if he does that he is more valuable since it would be cheaper. Will Harang be 2+x more valuable than Bruce? I doubt it

I'll add that Wright projects to be around a 30M/year player until at least 2011 according to baseball prospectus and WARP. Pujols is around 35M/year, but also will average around 5M more in real salary, so they sort of offset. Considering Wright has a longer contract, and will be playing in his peak years, that makes it better. Sizemore is in the upper 20s, but has lower upside. Harang is right around 10M per year and in the decline phase, while Bruce is around 15/year in the incline phase. I don't want to give away too much prospectus stuff, and these are just rough values that were done before the 2007 season. But it's just a general range of what MORP says for these guys.

Turn Off Ads?