Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the Reds #17 prospect?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Scott Carroll

0 0%
  • Chris Dickerson

4 4.88%
  • Rafael Gonzalez

0 0%
  • Sean Henry

0 0%
  • Evan Hildenbrandt

1 1.22%
  • Sam Lecure

2 2.44%
  • Derrik Lutz

2 2.44%
  • Marcus McBeth

1 1.22%
  • Tyler Pelland

13 15.85%
  • Justin Reed

2 2.44%
  • Adam Rosales

12 14.63%
  • Jordan Smith

0 0%
  • Craig Tatum

0 0%
  • Daryl Thompson

11 13.41%
  • Justin Turner

3 3.66%
  • Chris Valaika

3 3.66%
  • Pedro Viola

9 10.98%
  • Brandon Waring

19 23.17%
  • Other (please specify)

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Redszone Community Prospect Vote #17

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Redszone Community Prospect Vote #17

Vote for the player who you think is the Reds #17 prospect (the best prospect who is not yet on the list). We will go with this as far as you guys want to take it.

I will post a new list every 2 days with 10-15 options to vote on.

If you feel like making an argument on why a guy should be voted here, feel free to vote and state why you voted for that player.

If there is someone that is not currently listed as an option to vote on, vote for 'other' then just state who you want to vote for in the thread.

If there is anyone you would like to see as an option on the next poll, just say so and if they garner enough support, they will be placed on the next poll. Guys with the lowest amount of votes will usually be removed for the next few guys who were talked about in the previous thread.

Prospect 1 - Jay Bruce
    Prospect 2 - Homer Bailey
    Prospect 3 - Johnny Cueto
    Prospect 4 - Joey Votto
    Prospect 5 - Todd Frazier
    Prospect 6 - Drew Stubbs
    Prospect 7 - Matt Maloney
    Prospect 8 - Josh Roenicke
    Prospect 9 - Travis Wood
    Prospect 10 - Devin Mesoraco
    Prospect 11 - Kyle Lotzkar
    Prospect 12 - Danny Dorn
    Prospect 13 - Sean Watson
    Prospect 14 - Carlos Fisher
    Prospect 15 - Juan Francisco
    Prospect 16 - Neftali Soto

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Redszone Community Prospect Vote #17

Waring drops bombs like no one's business. Also hit for average his first pro year.

Pelland. Major league ready. Has performed at higher level than Viola.

I'll again go with Pedro Viola.

Adam Rosales. He has a stick that looks really good and he can play multiple positions.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Adam Rosales. He has a stick that looks really good and he can play multiple positions.
    Hooray. I knew we'd agree sooner or later. I've been voting for him since number 9 when Roenicke went off the board.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Out of curiosity, how much higher did you have Dorn than Rosales? Dorn is a year younger, but cannot hit LH worth a darn. Dorn's great AA numbers were only in 90 AB's, whereas Rosales' numbers in AA are very good (278/377/549) over 255 AB's. He also hits well against both LH and RH. He also 'learned' patience this year as his OBP was .099 points higher than his BA in both High A (248 AB's) and AA. One other consideration is that Rosales just kind of exploded this year. So I guess it all depends on whether you think AR is the real deal, or if this year was just an aberation.

I have Dorn and Rosales almost next to eachother in my rankings. Giving Dorn a slight advantage. But if Rosales keeps up his success from 07 to 08 then he should be given serious consideration for top 15 prospect ranking or better in the system.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    Out of curiosity, how much higher did you have Dorn than Rosales? Dorn is a year younger, but cannot hit LH worth a darn. Dorn's great AA numbers were only in 90 AB's, whereas Rosales' numbers in AA are very good (278/377/549) over 255 AB's. He also hits well against both LH and RH. He also 'learned' patience this year as his OBP was .099 points higher than his BA in both High A (248 AB's) and AA. One other consideration is that Rosales just kind of exploded this year. So I guess it all depends on whether you think AR is the real deal, or if this year was just an aberation.

I have Dorn and Rosales almost next to eachother in my rankings. Giving Dorn a slight advantage. But if Rosales keeps up his success from 07 to 08 then he should be given serious consideration for top 15 prospect ranking or better in the system.
    I have them one after another in my rankings. They are very close to eachother in my mind. I have Dorn at 13 and Rosales at 14. The only reason it took me so long to vote for Rosales was that I have Soto at #9. As for Rosales bursting to the scene this year, I think that last year was the abberration, not this year. He tore things up in 2005, played with injuries last year and struggled, came back this year and tore things up again.

I have them one after another in my rankings. They are very close to eachother in my mind. I have Dorn at 13 and Rosales at 14. The only reason it took me so long to vote for Rosales was that I have Soto at #9. As for Rosales bursting to the scene this year, I think that last year was the abberration, not this year. He tore things up in 2005, played with injuries last year and struggled, came back this year and tore things up again.
    Sounds good, I'm right with you.

I have a ballot nominee...Derrick Conatser

This year in the GCL, as a JUCO RHP drafted in rd. 28, and pick 859, Conatser put up a good line. 20.2 ip, 22 h, 4 bb, 22 k, 3.3 GO/FO ratio, 4.79 ERA, .278 Avg against. For a severe GB pitcher, .278 avg against in the GCL isn't too bad. He is more likely a prospect because of the Reds park more than anything. I have him coming in around the 40 range. But I thought I would at least throw his name in there since we have a total 35 names or so elected already + on the ballot still. Anyway, just a name to throw out there.

Here is something from the East Carolina website. He initially signed there to play in 08.

Derrick Conatser • RHP • 6-1 • 180 • Tallahassee Community College (Tallahassee, Fla.)
    Posted a 7-2 record and one save as a freshman at Tallahassee Community College under the direction of Mike McLeod ... Worked 61 2/3 innings allowing 55 hits and 19 walks while fanning 51 ... Finished freshman campaign with a 2.92 ERA which ranked among the top-30 in Florida JUCO baseball ... Attended Southwood HS (Shreveport, La.) where he guided the Cowboys to back-to-back district championships (2002-03) ... Earned three varsity letters under head coach David Elledge ... Was a three-time all-district and two-time all-state ... As a junior posted a 9-1 record with a 1.61 ERA which included a perfect game ... During his senior season was selected to participate in the Louisiana High School All-Star Game.
    Coach Godwin's Comments: "Derrick is a standout right-hander that has pitched in one of the top junior college conferences in the country. He has the ability to come in and pitch on the weekend....

Daryl Thompson:

3.18 ERA, 133 IP, 122 H, 121 K, 33 BB overall last season between Dayton and Sarasota.

2.55 ERA, 49.1 IP, 44 H, 45 , 14 BB in his last 10 starts at Sarasota.

He outpitched Sean Watson at the same levels, and pitched twice as much at High-A. Low-maybe mid-90s FB, solid curve, decent changeup.

My vote is for my other brother Daryl... Thompson.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

I would put Waring's stats last year in rookie ball up against anyone in his draft class and for him to be our 17th choice has me scratching my head. Compare Waring to any hitter in last year draft class and tell me who's got better numbers?

can we get miguel perez up there? I believe he's making a comeback!

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post

I know no one is asking, but I have Rosales at 7 and Dorn at 9. I actually think Dorn will be a better hitter, but as a corner OF, I'm just not sure his bat will get him many ABs over his competition. Being a lefty helps in a platoon situation though. Rosales is probably a supersub whose bat will be a plus compared to other multi-position guys and may be able to play a lot by moving around the field.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    I would put Waring's stats last year in rookie ball up against anyone in his draft class and for him to be our 17th choice has me scratching my head. Compare Waring to any hitter in last year draft class and tell me who's got better numbers?

I totally agree.

But, again we are evaluating from afar. Too bad we can't get input from someone who sees these RL players, to give us some insight into what these guys really play like. I remember David Espinoza, who had all the talent in the world, but played lazy. At the opposite end, Pete Rose who had OK talent but played with a fire yet un-equaled.

Turn Off Ads?