Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the Reds #17 prospect?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Scott Carroll

0 0%
  • Chris Dickerson

4 4.88%
  • Rafael Gonzalez

0 0%
  • Sean Henry

0 0%
  • Evan Hildenbrandt

1 1.22%
  • Sam Lecure

2 2.44%
  • Derrik Lutz

2 2.44%
  • Marcus McBeth

1 1.22%
  • Tyler Pelland

13 15.85%
  • Justin Reed

2 2.44%
  • Adam Rosales

12 14.63%
  • Jordan Smith

0 0%
  • Craig Tatum

0 0%
  • Daryl Thompson

11 13.41%
  • Justin Turner

3 3.66%
  • Chris Valaika

3 3.66%
  • Pedro Viola

9 10.98%
  • Brandon Waring

19 23.17%
  • Other (please specify)

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Redszone Community Prospect Vote #17

Re: Redszone Community Prospect Vote #17

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    BA ranked Justin Reed as the #16 prospect in the Pioneer League in 2007. He's a great athlete with a good eye at the plate. At age 19 he's only level behind Drew Stubbs with numbers similar to Stubbs. It's entirely possible that Reed will be the toolsy OF who emerges for the Reds 2008.
    I think of him as a lefthanded Chris Denorfia. Not great at anything, but pretty good at a lot of things.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

BA ranked Justin Reed as the #16 prospect in the Pioneer League in 2007. He's a great athlete with a good eye at the plate. At age 19 he's only level behind Drew Stubbs with numbers similar to Stubbs. It's entirely possible that Reed will be the toolsy OF who emerges for the Reds 2008.
    Of course he plays a corner outfield position and his tools aren't close to those of Stubbs. But other than that, I still like him as a very raw prospect that is quite toolsy who made HUGE strides this year fromlast. I wouldn't vote for him just yet, but he certainly is in the conversation with some other guys currently listed in the poll.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Of course he plays a corner outfield position and his tools aren't close to those of Stubbs. But other than that, I still like him as a very raw prospect that is quite toolsy who made HUGE strides this year fromlast. I wouldn't vote for him just yet, but he certainly is in the conversation with some other guys currently listed in the poll.
    Reed plays CF. Last year he played all over the OF, but BA rated him as having good range in CF. His arm's a bit short and that's Stubbs' main tools advantage over him. Perhaps range will be a big advantage if Reed fails on the technique end, but in terms of raw ability to go get a ball (e.g. straight line speed) Stubbs has got nothing on Reed.

Reed actually carried a SLG advantage over Stubbs last year, despite being three years younger. Both have BA issues. They'd make for a competitive foot race, but Stubbs is older and having a hard time translating his speed to the basepaths. Both he and Reed were 13-20 in SBs last year even with Stubbs playing double the amount of time. If I had to take a guess at whose speed will play better in the future, I'd take Reed.

I agree he's raw and I rate Stubbs higher because Reed hasn't played full-season ball yet, but Reed is the flipside to the conversation we often have about Stubbs on this site. We often hear that Stubbs is raw and needs time to put things together, which then begets protests that he's 22 and that with the instruction he's already received (college and pro) he should be better. Reed's raw, but his youth and inexperience make it a little more palatable.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Reed plays CF. Last year he played all over the OF, but BA rated him as having good range in CF. His arm's a bit short and that's Stubbs' main tools advantage over him. Perhaps range will be a big advantage if Reed fails on the technique end, but in terms of raw ability to go get a ball (e.g. straight line speed) Stubbs has got nothing on Reed.
    I guess the idea that playing him in LF, RF and CF last year tends to put me in the mind that he isn't a true centerfielder. He may be adequate there (think Jay Bruce) but if he isn't sticking in CF at a young age already, he probably isn't playing it well above average.

Reed actually carried a SLG advantage over Stubbs last year, despite being three years younger. Both have BA issues. They'd make for a competitive foot race, but Stubbs is older and having a hard time translating his speed to the basepaths. Both he and Reed were 13-20 in SBs last year even with Stubbs playing double the amount of time. If I had to take a guess at whose speed will play better in the future, I'd take Reed.
    Stubbs speed is hindered by his injury. Hopefully we can see how he is doing next year since he has apparently had surgery to fix his turf toe. Reed is plenty fast, no doubt though. Personally, I would take Stubbs speed to play better in the future because of the foot being fixed, but again that is no slight on Reed.

I agree he's raw and I rate Stubbs higher because Reed hasn't played full-season ball yet, but Reed is the flipside to the conversation we often have about Stubbs on this site. We often hear that Stubbs is raw and needs time to put things together, which then begets protests that he's 22 and that with the instruction he's already received (college and pro) he should be better. Reed's raw, but his youth and inexperience make it a little more palatable.
    I think the biggest thing in the Stubbs/Reed thing we haven't brought up is the size. Stubbs is 6-4 and 205. Reed is 5'11 and 180. It makes Stubbs power a bit more projectable than Reeds, although he isn't exactly small in terms of size, just not the tallest guy ever. Definately someone to keep an eye on as a big time breakout guy next year.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I guess the idea that playing him in LF, RF and CF last year tends to put me in the mind that he isn't a true centerfielder. He may be adequate there (think Jay Bruce) but if he isn't sticking in CF at a young age already, he probably isn't playing it well above average.
    From what I can gather, Reed playing all over the place is more a function of inexperience than ability. He's got 60 speed, which is plenty enough to go after a fly. It's a matter of learning routes and developing instincts. Sounds like he made encouraging progress in 2007.

It's hard to know where an athletic kid will go in terms of range. I doubt it's viable to expect him to be Eric Davis, but my guess is he'll be playing a lot of CF in 2008.

I've really stayed away from these threads as I thought we already did this a few months ago. But man... my boy Pelland got no love.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I've really stayed away from these threads as I thought we already did this a few months ago. But man... my boy Pelland got no love.
    He's looking like a strong candidate for #18.

Though the Tyler Pelland vs. Pedro Viola conversation really hasn't been engaged yet.

Pelland outpitched Viola in the AFL, though a 1.56 WHIP there points out why Pelland's a shaky proposition (he's no Paul Komentani).

Turn Off Ads?