Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One year from now, who will be the Reds top prospect when the Fab Four graduate?

One year from now, who will be the Reds top prospect when the Fab Four graduate?

At this time next year when Baseball America releases their top 10 prospects for each organization, who will be the Reds number one prospect assuming the Fab Four of Jay Bruce, Homer Bailey, Johnny Cueto, and Joey Votto graduate to the major leagues? Obviously it has to be someone currently in the system, not an assumed 2008 draft pick.

My pick will go to 3B Todd Frazier with RHP Kyle Lotzkar being my runner up. Frazier hit .319/.405/.538 - .943 OPS in roughly 200 plate appearances between Billings and Dayton in 2007. His combination of power, plate discipline, and polish will make him one of the better hitting prospects in the game next season. I see him starting the season in Sarasota and advancing to Chattanooga by season end. I think this guy really has a chance to be the next great hitter to come out of the Reds organization. So there it is - Todd Frazier will be the Reds number one prospect at this time year IMO.

Now let's hear your opinion.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: One year from now, who will be the Reds top prospect when the Fab Four graduate?

Not Really going out on a limb here but I could see Todd Frazier, and Neftali Soto as fast risers and the Pitcher acquired from Phillies Matt Maloney. I also see none of them being ready till late 2009 if on Reds team at all. I could see all 3 being dealt for immediate help depending on team needs.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: One year from now, who will be the Reds top prospect when the Fab Four graduate?

I am going to go with Drew Stubbs. I look for him to build on his new health and his .303/.394/.517 line over his last 250 plate appearances of this year to rocket himself into top 50 prospect status.

I could easily see if being Frazier as well.

Probably Frazier

I think Drew Stubbs will have a breakout year, and I think Todd Frazier will perform very well, but I think Kyle Lotzkar and Travis Wood are going to make other teams fantasize of having a rotation of Bailey, Cueto, Lotzkar, Wood, Maloney, etc.

I think it will be Lotzkar, with Frazier second, and Waring third. I'm not a big fan of Stubbs as you can see.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Most likely Frazier, with more success at higher levels than Lotzkar. Could be Stubbs, if he can put up a full season between High-A and AA with an .850+ OPS.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am going to go with Drew Stubbs. I look for him to build on his new health and his .303/.394/.517 line over his last 250 plate appearances of this year to rocket himself into top 50 prospect status.

I could easily see if being Frazier as well.
    shocking pick doug.

I'll go with Travis Wood. His fastball seems to be back where it was and IIRC he had the best changeup in the system.

As for position players, I think it'll be Dorn.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    shocking pick doug.

I'll go with Travis Wood. His fastball seems to be back where it was and IIRC he had the best changeup in the system.

As for position players, I think it'll be Dorn.
    To be honest, I have heard from several sources that Wood not only has the best change up in the system, but in all of the minor leagues. We aren't talking a plus pitch, we are talking plus plus here. He wouldn't surprise me at all either if he took over that spot if he came back next year healthy and back to his old self.

I think that bottom line is that it will be somebody from the current 5-10 who has the biggest year in 2008.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Travis Wood
    Kyle Lotzkar
    Todd Frazier
    Neftali Soto
    Brandon Waring
    Juan Francisco

Put Wood and Frazier in the advanced group and Lotzkar and Soto in the emerging from the raw beginner rank. Wood and Frazier could push themelves into near term viability while Lotzkar and Soto could become hot future properties with a lot more value. Waring and Francisco are my mid level prospects likely to really up their value - not as near term as Wood/Frazier, not as far off as Lotzkar/Soto. If Francisco ever learns there are pitches you don't have to swing at he could become a real stud. The bright spot is that he obviously knows what to do with pitches in the strike zone and its not all power either. Patience and selectivity for hitters is like command
    is for pitchers. It's very hard to learn.

Darkhorse candidates to overcome some of the rap on their bats:
    1. Miguel Perez - the numbers weren't bad for about the first time in his career - anything approaching .250/.320 obp make this guy the #8 hitter and a valuable defensive element.
    2. Drew Stubbs - was his second half a mirage or a stepping stone? Like Perez, with his defense and speed, he just needs to not be really bad to become a valuable CF.

When it comes to hitting some guys can gradully beome reasonably good - almost on a stealth basis. No one notices until they are 'suddenly' not bad. Concepcion comes to mind. So does Ozzie.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 12-16-2007 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    When it comes to hitting some guys can gradully beome reasonably good - almost on a stealth basis. No one notices until they are 'suddenly' not bad. Concepcion comes to mind. So does Ozzie.
    As does Omar Vizquel

Frazier would be my pick. Everything about him just projects well.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post

Darkhorse candidates to overcome some of the rap on their bats:
    1. Miguel Perez - the numbers weren't bad for about the first time in his career - anything approaching .250/.320 obp make this guy the #8 hitter and a valuable defensive element.
    Perez is currently a free agent I believe. I would love to have him back personally. But we'll see.

Our first round pick in the 2008 draft...

Turn Off Ads?