Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: How far did you go in school?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • None

0 0%
  • GED

0 0%
  • High School Diploma (or in process of)

9 8.41%
  • Some college / certification

13 12.15%
  • 2 year degree

6 5.61%
  • 4 year degree

42 39.25%
  • Law School

6 5.61%
  • Medical School

1 0.93%
  • Masters

23 21.50%
  • Doctorate

7 6.54%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Education

Education

I'm doing the student thing, and its not so bad. I'm thinking about going ahead and getting my Masters degree. I think it would be worth the hassle of continuing the student life.

Anyways, how far have you gone? For the most part this is a really intelligent board (especially compared to other forums), and I was curious to see how far alot of you have gone?

Edit - I have my two year degree, finishing up my bachelors ATM.
    Last edited by TeamSelig; 12-16-2007 at 03:38 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Education

Depending on the monetary situation I would get the masters. IMO, a master's is becoming increasingly essential to compete for top jobs in business. I just completed a second masters (MBA) which worked out well because my employer paid for everything. Because graduate programs are very expensive, I would recommend getting on with a company that does tuition reimbursement (many do) and work on the master's through that route.

I've got the 4 year deal, but also have considerable additional class work and training courses as well.

If you can get the MBA, go for it. The 4 year degree in this day and age is like the high school diploma was 25 years ago. IE its expected, and you need something to set you apart.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I'm currently in school, going for a 2 year degree(AA) and seeing where I go from there. I like to think I'm a fairly intelligent person, but the whole school thing isn't for me. I get bored very easily, but I realize that more than likely... I'm going to need it at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I've got the 4 year deal, but also have considerable additional class work and training courses as well.

If you can get the MBA, go for it. The 4 year degree in this day and age is like the high school diploma was 25 years ago. IE its expected, and you need something to set you apart.
    Not 25... more like 50.. but point taken, MBA's get a bigger piece of the corporate pie.

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    I'm currently in school, going for a 2 year degree(AA) and seeing where I go from there. I like to think I'm a fairly intelligent person, but the whole school thing isn't for me. I get bored very easily, but I realize that more than likely... I'm going to need it at some point.
    Try interning or a co-op program. I think that makes a lot of difference for some people.
    Personally, I was way too lazy in undergrad to do something like that, having spent the better part of my free time at Kilgores and in the Rhine Room.
    But it sure sounds like a good idea.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Try interning or a co-op program. I think that makes a lot of difference for some people.
    Personally, I was way too lazy in undergrad to do something like that, having spent the better part of my free time at Kilgores and in the Rhine Room.
    But it sure sounds like a good idea.
    My co-op employer (and now full-time employer) provided tuition reimbursement. At least with engineering, it's nearly impossible to find an entry-level position without co-op experience. On the flip side, if you have a good co-op experience, employers will be breaking down the door to try and hire you.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Law degree here.

Best advice I can ever give anyone is to figure out how to get someone to pay for your advanced degree for you. If you can get the degree through a night program while you're working, so much the better.

Educational debt absolutely blows.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

A Master's degree today is what a Bachelor's Degree was 30 years ago. You'll be increasingly competing for jobs against people who have one.

Get it if you can. In the absolutely WORST case scenario, you'll still pick up some pretty good contacts.

(I have an MBA - class of 1986.)
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I have a 4 year degree with a worthless major(how as an 18 year old I couldn't see the folly in Kinesiology-Sports Communication, I'll never know.)

I am currently working on my MBA.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I went through college and got a 2 year degree(AS) in Business Administration.

I have a BA in political science and will be starting on my PhD next fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Best advice I can ever give anyone is to figure out how to get someone to pay for your advanced degree for you. If you can get the degree through a night program while you're working, so much the better.

Educational debt absolutely blows.
    Word.

MBA in 2000. Hope to have my M.A. in Political Science this summer. Both are/were part-time while working full-time.

For giggles, I may keep it up and apply to the PhD program.

Went to college for about 3 years majoring in journalism. Never finished my degree but I've always planned to go back.

I finnished my Master's program on the seventh.

Turn Off Ads?