Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Freddie Garcia Info

Freddie Garcia Info

What do you guys think of Garcia? I know he was good at one time. Is he still injured? What would be the downside/upside to adding him to the Reds rotation?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Freddie Garcia Info

I have heard he will continue to be injured until June. He would be a good starter if he was healthy.

The upside is he could be good the down side is he could be terrible and get hurt and be a total waste of money

I think Garcia would be OK or one year of Matt Morris for small deal.

I'd say he'd be a decent starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    The upside is he could be good the down side is he could be terrible and get hurt and be a total waste of money
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by roby View Post
    Really?
    Yea believe it or not thats the Garcia story

What do you guys think of Garcia? I know he was good at one time. Is he still injured? What would be the downside/upside to adding him to the Reds rotation?
    Garcia would not be a good option for the Reds for many reasons.

#1 His health is a major concern. He wouldn't be ready out of the gate, and that's something the Reds can't afford. They need instant production, especially from the #3 spot in the rotation.

#2 Garcia has been an average pitcher in recent years...including with the Phillies last year, going 1-5 with a 5.90 era before suffering a season ending injury.

#3 Garcia (a pitcher who is on the downward slope) slows progression of the younger starters in the rotation, ie: Bailey, Biesle, etc. If the Reds don't go out and get a horse (Bedard, Blanton) then the #3 and #4 slots in the rotation are going to be given to the young guys to run with.

What about maybe a Guardado type offer? MLC then a team option on next year?

His velocity has gone down over the last several seasons. Now he's had shoulder surgery. In addition, he has always been prone to the gopherball. I would stay far away from this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by 6-4-3 View Post
    #3 Garcia (a pitcher who is on the downward slope) slows progression of the younger starters in the rotation, ie: Bailey, Biesle, etc. If the Reds don't go out and get a horse (Bedard, Blanton) then the #3 and #4 slots in the rotation are going to be given to the young guys to run with.
    I don't know how that could be true. Right now the reds have 4 starters, Harang should be on the hill opening day, if they don't land Bedard then Arroyo will probably be the teams 2nd starter. I'd like to see Bailey start the year as the 5th starter, and I'd give Belisle the 4th spot because of his experience, and hope he can give you more consistency this season. Eithey way they still have a spot in the rotation open and whoever gets it will do nothing to slow down or speed up the progression of the younger guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Yea believe it or not thats the Garcia story
    Is that you, George?

Turn Off Ads?