Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone willing to talk about Bartolo Colon as an option?

Anyone willing to talk about Bartolo Colon as an option?

His season last year was pretty ugly. 6.32 ERA and a 1.60 WHIP, but he was the recipient of some bad luck as noted with his .364 BABIP. He is still throwing hard (averaged nearly 95 MPH on his fastball and 91 MPH on his sinker last year) and had an xFIP of 4.74 last year. Prior to the last two seasons he had been a horse. Has it all caught up to him? Anyways, what is your take on him for the Reds?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Cruisin' for trouble

Re: Anyone willing to talk about Bartolo Colon as an option?

Depends on the cost and the timing.

I'd love to see them land Lieber first. If the quest for a TOR pitcher fails, then I'd like to see Colon signed as well.

I'd want all the up to date info on him I can get and I'd have to think long and hard. If I do it I don't invest too much unless it's on an incestive-laden basis nor do I offer anything more than a year and maybe a club option with a very reasonable buyout.

Someone will probably offer a longer contract than I would so it's probably moot. I'd prefer Lieber over Colon, but Colon over a big contract for Silva. If I could sign either Lieber or Colon at a reasonable enough figure I'd still consider one (or other FA) even if I land Bedard.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 12-16-2007 at 09:39 PM.

After picking up a better starter, the Reds would still need one more pitcher to fill out the rotation. Colon may be on the list; I don't know. If he's the big acquisition, it's a disappointment.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds View Post
    I'd love to see them land Lieber first. If the quest for a TOR pitcher fails, then I'd like to see Colon signed as well.
    Lieber is frequently hurt and, recently, frequently awful. He hasn't posted a better than league-average season in over 2 years, and (at 38 by next season) he isn't getting any younger.

If I could get 2004-2005 Lieber, where he was throwing north of 175 innings at 4.20-4.30, I'd be all over it. Trouble is, I suspect we'd probably be getting 2006-2007 Jon Lieber, who is a danger to throw less than 170 innings of 5.00+ ERA ball.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

I haven't caught up--what were Colon's injuries last season? Is he toast, or is there a possibility he could return to something resembling what he was three or four years ago?

Roster glue

I'd be willing to take a long look at both he and Lieber. For the very reasons cited in this thread, either might only fetch short-term, incentive-laden deals.

Of course, I am now full circle as I mistrust the Reds' medical staff's acumen as far as evaluation of such an investment.

Googling I see shoulder problems and a link to a steroid trainer.

Still, if he comes cheap and isn't the only acquisition, he may be worth a shot. If healthy(Big, big, if)....

Count me in as someone who thinks that every year one pitcher is picked up in the winter that it seemed like everyone ignored only to find him having a really good season. I honestly think Colon is that guy. I wouldn't give him a 3 year deal for 20 million or something but he has the potential to be a real steal this winter. (And no Bruce, Bailey, Cueto, or Votto traded to land him)

Let me stress that I am not saying that we shouldn't trade one of the big 4 or even 2 in the right deal. I just don't like the idea of trading Bruce, Hamilton or Cueto....
    Last edited by paulrichjr; 12-16-2007 at 10:10 PM.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Colon costs money, and not talent, but then you run the fine line of how much money?

If it's less than 5 Mil (which I don't see happening), then sure, sign him up.

Is he a free agent?

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Is he a free agent?
    yes
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    His season last year was pretty ugly. 6.32 ERA and a 1.60 WHIP, but he was the recipient of some bad luck as noted with his .364 BABIP. He is still throwing hard (averaged nearly 95 MPH on his fastball and 91 MPH on his sinker last year) and had an xFIP of 4.74 last year. Prior to the last two seasons he had been a horse. Has it all caught up to him? Anyways, what is your take on him for the Reds?
    He's an interesting guy. A former CY Young winner that is proven. You'd be buying low right now, but is he done? His velocity apparently is still here. His offspeed stuff is good.

Assuming the cost isn't outrageous, why not take a chance?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Another guy with bad luck? The Reds already have a bunch of guys with bad luck. Isn't there a pitcher out there with good luck?

This is a bet I'd take. Something around 5 million with incentives should get it done. The problem comes in if he wants a longer term or larger guarantee.

Turn Off Ads?