Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the Reds #18 Prospect?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Scott Carroll

0 0%
  • Chris Dickerson

4 4.88%
  • Rafael Gonzalez

1 1.22%
  • Sean Henry

1 1.22%
  • Evan Hildenbrandt

0 0%
  • Sam Lecure

1 1.22%
  • Derrik Lutz

2 2.44%
  • Marcus McBeth

1 1.22%
  • Tyler Pelland

15 18.29%
  • Justin Reed

2 2.44%
  • Adam Rosales

22 26.83%
  • Jordan Smith

0 0%
  • Craig Tatum

2 2.44%
  • Daryl Thompson

14 17.07%
  • Justin Turner

3 3.66%
  • Chris Valaika

3 3.66%
  • Pedro Viola

11 13.41%
  • Other (please specifiy)

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Redszone Community Prospect Vote #18

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Redszone Community Prospect Vote #18

Vote for the player who you think is the Reds #18 prospect (the best prospect who is not yet on the list). We will go with this as far as you guys want to take it.

I will post a new list every 2 days with 10-15 options to vote on.

If you feel like making an argument on why a guy should be voted here, feel free to vote and state why you voted for that player.

If there is someone that is not currently listed as an option to vote on, vote for 'other' then just state who you want to vote for in the thread.

If there is anyone you would like to see as an option on the next poll, just say so and if they garner enough support, they will be placed on the next poll. Guys with the lowest amount of votes will usually be removed for the next few guys who were talked about in the previous thread.

Prospect 1 - Jay Bruce
    Prospect 2 - Homer Bailey
    Prospect 3 - Johnny Cueto
    Prospect 4 - Joey Votto
    Prospect 5 - Todd Frazier
    Prospect 6 - Drew Stubbs
    Prospect 7 - Matt Maloney
    Prospect 8 - Josh Roenicke
    Prospect 9 - Travis Wood
    Prospect 10 - Devin Mesoraco
    Prospect 11 - Kyle Lotzkar
    Prospect 12 - Danny Dorn
    Prospect 13 - Sean Watson
    Prospect 14 - Carlos Fisher
    Prospect 15 - Juan Francisco
    Prospect 16 - Neftali Soto
    Prospect 17 - Brandon Waring

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Redszone Community Prospect Vote #18

Daryl Thompson:

3.18 ERA, 133 IP, 122 H, 121 K, 33 BB overall last season between Dayton and Sarasota.

2.55 ERA, 49.1 IP, 44 H, 45 K, 14 BB in his last 10 starts at Sarasota.

He outpitched Sean Watson at the same levels, and pitched twice as much at High-A. Low-maybe mid-90s FB, solid curve, decent changeup.

He'll be at AA this year. He might even start the season there.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

This is one of the few picks in which I'm going with production over ceiling: Adam Rosales.

Adam Rosales for me

He hit .286/.385/.519 combined this year between A+ and AA. He hits lefties and righties about the same and has the ability to play first base and third base.

He is an advanced bat in the upper minors who can play several positions. He will probably start in AAA next year, so he is very close and has performed very well with the exception of an injury plagued 2006. He lit the world on fire in 2005 and did pretty much the same in 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    This is one of the few picks in which I'm going with production over ceiling: Adam Rosales.
    I think we are to the point now where a lot of these guys are interchangeable. Its a matter of whether you prefer performance or potential, starting pitchers against position players, relief pitchers against everyone else. I personally wouldn't vote for Pelland until Thompson and Rosales are selected, but its really not that big of a difference. These guys will all be at AA or higher this season and have performed well. It says a lot for the system that one of them will be ranked as low as #20.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

I think Pelland and Rosales are the two next guys. I view Pelland as a good lefty non-closer reliever. I view Rosales as probably a good backup corner infielder.

I think a lefty reliever is probably a shade more important than a good backup non-shortstop infielder. Also Pelland is closer to the major leagues, having done well at AAA, and will only be 24 this season.

Pelland, then Rosales next.

Doug, I think Janish needs to be on the list since he was top ten on many lists a year ago.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-17-2007 at 03:10 PM.

If people want to pick a left-handed reliever, I'd go with Pedro Viola. After Rosales is picked, that's who I'm going with.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    If people want to pick a left-handed reliever, I'd go with Pedro Viola. After Rosales is picked, that's who I'm going with.
    Just went back and looked at his stats. You're right. He was pretty amazing. I have no idea what he throws, which would make me hesitant to vote for him. I'll vote for him at #21, provided that Pelland, Rosales, and Thompson go in some order 18-20.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Doug, I think Janish needs to be on the list since he was top ten on many lists a year ago.
    Will do.

I will keep voting for Pedro until he makes it. He did really well last year.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I will keep voting for Pedro until he makes it. He did really well last year.
    I think Pelland was better, and at more advanced levels.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Does anybody have a scouting report on Travis Webb? He had some decent numbers with Dayton and he has the advantage of being a southpaw. Also, Juan Rafeal who came over from the DSL had a solid season at two levels. I don't know anything about either one are these guys worth keeping an eye on?

...Still going with Rosales
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

I'm not voting for a relief pitcher until all the good young starting pitchers (Thompson) are off the list...

I'll again go with Pedro Viola. This is a guy who posted a 1.42 ERA, 1.04 WHIP, and a 10.3 K/9 while allowing only 5 homers in 82.1 innings between Dayton, Sarasota, and Chattanooga this season. He also pitched in the AFL and struggled in three of his first four appearances but threw four scoreless innings of one hit ball while striking out six in his final four outings. He could begin this season in Louisville and possibly make an appearance in Cincinnati before the end of the season. I think he profiles as a Damaso Marte type reliever.

Turn Off Ads?