Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Dan Fogelberg, RIP

Dan Fogelberg, RIP

I was saddened today to see that Dan Fogelberg passed away yesterday.

While I'm not usually a fan of "easy listening" music, I really like some of his songs, such as Leader of the Band, Run for the Roses and especially Another Auld Lang Syne.

I hope his death from prostate cancer prompts some of us (including me) to get a physical and have our parts checked.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dan Fogelberg, RIP

He made some great albums. I saw him in concert back in the early 80s during an acoustic tour and he was VERY good. The man knew how to write a lyric. I consider it a big loss for the music community.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Another Auld Lang Syne.
    Misheard the opening lyric of "Met my old lover at the grocery store..." as "Met Cedric Glover at the grocery store..."

Two totally different things. Unless I had dated Cedric Glover, which I hadn't.

RIP, Dan.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 12-19-2007 at 08:08 PM.
    If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade. --Mitch Hedberg

I was a huge Fogelberg fan at the time the album came out that had "Another Auld Lang Syne" on it, and later bought his Greatest Hits and listened to it many times over the years. If you're younger and unfamiliar with the man's work, get it and listen to the lyrics. It's such a shame that he's gone. I had hoped to catch him in concert at some small venue in the future.

Once I turned 40 a couple of years ago, I've had a blood test annually that includes the prostate test. It's entirely treatable if caught soon enough. Guys, if you're 40 or getting close, DO IT!

EDIT: Perhaps my "entirely treatable" comment wasn't entirely accurate. Also, I've been reminded that age 50 is the recommended age for screening for most, but doing it once at age 40 can establish a baseline for future comparison.

I don't mean to derail the thread unnecessarily, but given the circumstances of Fogelberg's death, I don't think it's inappropriate or irrelevant to talk about it. Here are some links:

http://www.fightprostatecancer.org/s...me=detect_home

http://www.fightprostatecancer.org/s...ame=about_home
    Last edited by macro; 12-20-2007 at 08:36 AM.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

listen to the lyrics
    "Leader of the Band" is one of my all-time faves. It makes me think of my late father, even though he wasn't a musician.

Great stuff.
    If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade. --Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    "Leader of the Band" is one of my all-time faves. It makes me think of my late father, even though he wasn't a musician.

Great stuff.
    Same here. Even when my dad was alive and in good health, that song could choke me up. Since my dad passed away last month, and now Fogelberg, I've been thinking about that song a lot. I haven't actually listened to it because I'm not sure I could hear it without turning into a puddle.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

"A Rose by Any Other. . " RedRoser's Avatar

Fogelberg has been my all-time favorite musical artist since my high school days, and I had no idea of his death until reading this thread just now.
    I think I have almost every song/album that he has released. After years of being a fan, I finally got to see Fogelberg perform at a concert in the Mt. Juliet/Nashville area at the Starwood Amphitheater back in the late 80's or early 90's, and it became my fondest concert in memory.
    I like far too many Fogelberg songs to pick just one favorite, so let me mention just a few that are dear to me---Leader of the Band, Run for the Roses, Part of the Plan, Souvenirs, and that Pete Rose theme song, "There's a Place in the World for a Gambler. . ." lol

RIP Dan Fogelberg,
    ---RedRoser

Turn Off Ads?