Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stupidest thing said by a sports media guy this year.

Stupidest thing said by a sports media guy this year.

My nomination goes to JA Adande (no surprises as he says ridiculous things on a regular basis). But the below statement is the typical nonsense sports writers or commentators say because they have to smarter than someone who accepts the obvious.

In a discussion of who's better between Kobe Bryant or LeBron James, he claims that he'd rather Kobe Bryant with the ball in a "must score" possession than anyone in the history of the game, including Michael Jordan. Here's his rationale:

"If the play breaks down, Bryant has the resourcefulness and athletic ability to create his own shot. And he's the best tough-shot shooter in the game. Ever. "

Uh, like Mike didn't have the "resourcefulnees" to improvise? Or the athletic ability to create his own shot? Did he sleep during the Michael Jordan, o is he another one of these guys who grew up a Knicks fan and so hates Michael Jordan more than any other athlete (yes, I have Knicks fans and they LOATHE MJ).

Not only this, but would he seriously select Kobe over Larry Bird or Magic Johnson?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Stupidest thing said by a sports media guy this year.

Skip Bayless.

Everything.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

For the record, I would take Bird. (Not that anyone cares)
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Can we go back a couple of years to when John Kruk said that Randy Johnson would win 30 games?

To be honest, I would take 1999 Kenyon Martin... pre broken leg.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    To be honest, I would take 1999 Kenyon Martin... pre broken leg.
    I doubt he makes the top 50 on a list not created by a Bearcat fan.

As for the topic of dumbest things said by the media this year in relation to sports....

I'm not sure what it was, but I'm sure the person who said it draws a paycheck from ESPN.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I doubt he makes the top 50 on a list not created by a Bearcat fan.

As for the topic of dumbest things said by the media this year in relation to sports....

I'm not sure what it was, but I'm sure the person who said it draws a paycheck from ESPN.
    Pre injury, there was no player in college basketball in his decade as dominant. He could take over a game at a moment's notice.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Adande said he'd rather have Kobe than MJ in a "must score" possession because of Kobe's ability to create his own shot. It could be one of the dumbest things anyone has ever said about basketball.

BTW, I wonder if Adande saw the Lakers's possession last night where they were down by 2 inside a minute. Kobe had plenty of time left and half-heartedly threw up a 3 pointer that wasn't even that close. MJ never would have taken that shot.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

At the beginning of the Browns/Bills snowstorm game the color analyst actually said "this game could be a shootout". Say what, I guess the guns were loaded with blanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    Pre injury, there was no player in college basketball in his decade as dominant. He could take over a game at a moment's notice.

Unless, of course, Kevin freaking Frey was on the other team. Just saying.

If Don Imus counts, I'd say "nappy headed hos" has to go to the top of the list of stupid things said in '07.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I'm dumbfounded that this person said "athletic ability" because nobody says that anymore; they always say "athleticism", the lazy way of saying "athletic ability."
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I haven't read the whole thread, but I'm dumbfounded that this person said "athletic ability" because nobody says that anymore; they always say "athleticism", the lazy way of saying "athletic ability."
    What's "lazy" about saying athleticism instead of athletic ability?

Skip Bayliss. I think he is dumb on purpose though.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Skip Bayliss. I think he is dumb on purpose though.
    Me too.

He's one of those guys who you just know was continuously being stuffed into a locker in high school.

Turn Off Ads?