Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off to Iraq

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Off to Iraq

A few already knew about my imminent departure but I had as Peter King would say "aggravating travel note" attempting to leave yesterday. Here goes...

I am suppose to leave from Norfolk International at 1045 EST. I arrive at the airport and attempt to pick up my tickets only to find that the Air Force FORGOT to pay for my tickets. There is an instant rush to get the funding approved in time for my flight (which ultimately fails miserably). Next option is a flight that will take me to Frankfurt Germany. They force me to use my Government travel card (basically a credit card that I have to pay off at the end of every month or receive punishment because the USAF is too cheap to pay any interest) for the tune of 1600$ (anyone ever buy a ticket to Germany 30 minutes before it departs...). Problem is that the AF (air force from here on out) does not procure a travel voucher until I have been in-country for a minimum of 45 days. Meaning I will have to pay out of pocket money that I do not have readily available. My plane boards at 12:58 pm. At 12:56pm they call to tell me to get a refund on my card and wait at the airport for further instruction. 3:45 (I have now been waiting in the lobby since 8 am) I finally get another call telling me to board a plane to London where I will have a 21 hour lay over (I would be forced to stay in the airport the entire time because they will be attempting to procure travel at a earlier time). I purchase tickets and 30 minutes before boarding at 4:25 I get a call telling me to go home and I will be leaving on 17 Dec at 4pm EST with a direct flight to Doha, Qatar. I wake up this morning to the news that I am not taking that flight either because they could not come up with a logical way of getting me out of Qatar. Now I am in limbo with no idea when I am going to leave. Everything that I own is presently packed up in storage except for my travel bags and the equipment I'm taking with me...

to the AF's ineptitude.

However I will be back (hopefully its not extended) my the end of May beginning of June.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Off to Iraq

Yikes!

Um, doesn't the AF have some planes or something. Seems I heard that they were involved with that new fangled flying technology or something.

Rem

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Good luck, God bless, and thank you for your service.

Imagine if you were in the Army!......

JK! Good luck over there and thanks to all of our RZ Armed Forces members.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

What are you going to be doing over there?
    Last edited by WMR; 12-17-2007 at 05:55 PM.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    What are you doing to be doing over there?
    I'm an air traffic controller by trade... I just got word that I am to remain on standby status until christmas and if I'm still not out then I will be delayed until 10 Jan...

And thanks everyone

Talk about your travel nightmare.

Keep your head down and best wishes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I know it's cliche, but thank you so much for what you do.

Good luck! Stay safe over there.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Best of luck to you! The government and military never cease to amaze me at their ineptitiude on what should be a simple thing. That is a true travel nightmare.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Best of luck to you! The government and military never cease to amaze me at their ineptitiude on what should be a simple thing. That is a true travel nightmare.
    Obviously you don't work for them.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Good luck and we wish you a safe return. A friend of mine who was just elected our local law director is also a JAG officer in the reserves. He just got called up last week to do a tour in Iraq. Adding to the sentiments of others, thank you.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

You're in our prayers cool guy.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Good luck and thank you!!!
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Thank-you so much for your service. It might be a blessing, you could get to spend Christmas as home, and see some bowl games

Again, thank you for your service. Keep save and get our boys on the ground safely as well. My God bless you and keep you.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

I've had to buy a ticket out of Germany with 20 minutes' notice before. It cost me about half of your flight, and I was travelling to the States. It must have something to do with the holiday season. Seeing as how you're in the Air Force, why didn't you just fly your own plane somewhere?

Turn Off Ads?