Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: With this organization's depth at 3b....

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

With this organization's depth at 3b....

Why not structure a package for Bedard around EdE? I personally am an EdE fan, but as I have tried to explain to some of my friends, I would be a much bigger fan of adding another ace. I have been stalking around the Orioles Hangout and they all seem to ask about him.

So why not Edwin Encarnacion, Josh Hamilton and Bailey/Cueto for Bedard and Mora?

Orioles fans seem to want to give Mora away and they have also about talked about wanting a middle of the order hitter (Hamilton) and a potential ace Bailey/Cueto.

I really think Bedard puts us over the top and Mora will put up similar numbers to Encarnacion in '08.

I would also like to add a little more to the deal, but wouldn't let it break the original deal by throwing in "B" minor league talent like Stubbs or Maloney for Bradford.

So fellow 'Zoners, what do you think?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Re: With this organization's depth at 3b....

Sounds like the best proposal I have seen for winning in 2008.
    Personally, I'm still in the win in 2009 camp, which means not trading ANY of the young talent...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

because he is a right handed bat

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    because he is a right handed bat
    And so is Melvin Mora. Basically, I see Mora giving nearly the same production as Encarnacion in '08 and then having one of our many talented third baseman prospects step up in '09.

My point is Encarnacion should not be a deal breaker here just as Cueto shouldn't have been a deal breaker as alleged in Oakland.

My question is would you do Encarnacion/Hamilton/Bailey or Cueto for Mora and Bedard?

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

force the O's to throw in cash to cover mora's contract and I would not mind this trade at all. This year we will probably not lose any production between losing EE and gaining Mora. Hopefully someone like Todd Frazier can develop quickly to take over for the now 35 year old league average 3rd baseman
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

That's exactly what i was trying to say coolguy. Although, I don't want the vaunted "cash" to be the reason this deal doesn't get done.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    That's exactly what i was trying to say coolguy. Although, I don't want the vaunted "cash" to be the reason this deal doesn't get done.
    I think we need that cash to be able to sign a FA to fill out our rotation this year...
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

I'd still rather we do a trade in which we don't give up any pitching ie:Bailey and we just give up Hamilton/EdE...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I'd still rather we do a trade in which we don't give up any pitching ie:Bailey and we just give up Hamilton/EdE...
    I would as well. If we could substitute a Maloney/wood/Lotzkar instead of bailey or Cueto it would be ideal. Honestly with both Hamilton and EE involved it would be lopsided in the O's favor if one of our big 2 pitching prospects were also included

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't think that's enough to get a deal done. Most on Oriole Hangout are looking for Bailey/Cueto AND Hamilton AND Votto.

Personally, I am a huge fan of both Votto and Bruce so I want to keep them around at all costs. So I am looking to construct a deal that would both be realistic (ie enough for Bedard) but at the same time be good for the Reds.

So I don't think that Hamilton/EdE/ anything but Jay Bruce or Votto AND Stubbs is enough for Bedard. Plus, the Orioles do want some pitching and I am personally fine with dealing one of the Big 2 but not both.

I think a rotation of
    Harang
    Bedard
    Arroyo
    Belisle
    Bailey/Maloney/ cheap FA pickup
    would work for me

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    I would as well. If we could substitute a Maloney/wood/Lotzkar instead of bailey or Cueto it would be ideal. Honestly with both Hamilton and EE involved it would be lopsided in the O's favor if one of our big 2 pitching prospects were also included
    It may in fact be lopsided in their favor, but remember it's not like Bedard gave an edict to the Orioles front office to deal him to the Reds' or no one. We are competing with the Mariners right now and they have a lot of talent to trade.

Personally, I think a trade of Hamilton/EdE/Cueto is better than what I think the M's will offer. I hope Krivsky is thinking along the same lines.

And so is Melvin Mora. Basically, I see Mora giving nearly the same production as Encarnacion in '08 and then having one of our many talented third baseman prospects step up in '09.

My point is Encarnacion should not be a deal breaker here just as Cueto shouldn't have been a deal breaker as alleged in Oakland.

My question is would you do Encarnacion/Hamilton/Bailey or Cueto for Mora and Bedard?
    The only problem I see is that all our third base prospects are some way from making the majors. Rosales is the closest, and he is at AA. You would be counting on him to put in one full year of experience at AAA, and then be ready to take over for Mora in 2009. It is possible, but it is just as likely he might take longer to develop.

You know, in the multi-prospect deals of the past, I have it in my head that those prospects were not all major league ready players. They were elite prospects but had not seen the higher levels of the minor leagues. That's how you could justify one of those trades. You're trading a lot of players who could help in a couple years for a good player who can help you now. That made sense because there was a lot of risk in those prospects. One or two might pan out and become excellent players, and the trade would be worth it in the long run.

What people seem to want to do now is trade 2 or 3 major league ready players for one player. That doesn't make any sense. There is substantially less risk with Bailey, Cueto, Hamilton, Bruce, and Votto than there is in 5 A-ball players with elite prospect status. The long run that our trading partner is looking at here is pretty short. In the relatively short term, seems we want to trade 2 or 3 good players for 1.

I don't get it.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Love it, Do it.

Then sign Mora to be the Third Base coach in 5 years... Whatever it takes!

Thanks

Mora is 35 and has been on a step decline for the last 3 years. 104 RBI in 2004 and 58 last season. EE lead the team in average and had 76 RBI last season, plus that is with him missing 2 weeks to the minors and only batting .221 in April. He defense was out standing in the 2nd half.

If you want to trade someone trade a left hander. This team is almost an automatic lose when facing a left hander. EE hit .284 VS left last season. Mora 254 with no power or production

Mora will cost 16 million over the next 2 season he is signed through 2009 with 1 million buyout for 2010

Turn Off Ads?