Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Pettitte's Apology is a sham

Pettitte's Apology is a sham

Anyone else find it laughable how Andy Pettitte is getting praised because he admitted to taking HGH after his trainer ratted him out?

I don't see anything "noble" about Pettitte's admission. His trainer ratted him out and made him look like a total goon after he denied using PED'S a year ago when the Grimsley report came out. And if you want to know the truth, I think Pettitte used a heck of a lot more than he claims, and is hiding it because he doesnt want his reputation more damaged than it already is.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pettitte's Apology is a sham

Quote Originally Posted by Goten View Post
    Anyone else find it laughable how Andy Pettitte is getting praised because he admitted to taking HGH after his trainer ratted him out?
    I don't think he is getting praised by everyone. I've read several good columns harshly criticizing him.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

I like the fact that he admitted his use just because it discredits Roger "look at the size of my head" Clemens
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Either way, this only makes the claims of the Mitchell Report more credible...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Either way, this only makes the claims of the Mitchell Report more credible...
    exactly
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

I see absolutely nothing wrong with HGH under a doctor's RX to heal a injury. What is wrong with that? I take an antibiotic to heal quicker...what's the difference?

Pettitte got the drug illegally...there's the problem. Others used it to get stronger and or reverse the aging process. That is wrong, and using the drug for "cheating" purposes.

If a player has an injury and wants to use HGH, he should appeal to the league to do so. The league could use an "outside" doctor to either allow or not allow the drug to be used and monitor the time of use of the drug. If you use it illegally, or without league approval...your out of the league.

Problem solved.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

Did anyone see how Vina pretty much copied Pettitte's admission?

Couldn't agree more.

Look at the wording too:

"If what I did was an error in judgment on my part, I apologize," Pettitte said.

What a complete and utter NON-statement of admission, regret and remorse.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Quote Originally Posted by I(heart)Freel View Post
    Couldn't agree more.

Look at the wording too:

"If what I did was an error in judgment on my part, I apologize," Pettitte said.

What a complete and utter NON-statement of admission, regret and remorse.
    I don't agree with the wording, but atleast it's something. Until we have everybody admitting it, I'll take these soft admissions of guilt. It's better than nothing.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    I see absolutely nothing wrong with HGH under a doctor's RX to heal a injury. What is wrong with that? I take an antibiotic to heal quicker...what's the difference?

Pettitte got the drug illegally...there's the problem. Others used it to get stronger and or reverse the aging process. That is wrong, and using the drug for "cheating" purposes.

If a player has an injury and wants to use HGH, he should appeal to the league to do so. The league could use an "outside" doctor to either allow or not allow the drug to be used and monitor the time of use of the drug. If you use it illegally, or without league approval...your out of the league.

Problem solved.
    Despite reports to the contrary, HGH is not a legal prescription for healing after an injury. Doctors are only allowed by the FDA to prescribe HGH for a very short list of illnesses, and recovery from injury is not one of them.

Doctors, however, are allowed to prescribe any drug for any reason, if they see fit, but they must be able to justify it to the FDA, if it is outside the FDA regulations.

That is how all these athletes get their prescriptions, from doctors who were going outside of the FDA regulations. The doctor who prescribed HGH to Ankeil and others was caught doing it carelessly, and he faced charges for it.

The reason why the FDA has not approved it for recovery from injury is that the long term effects are so unknown. In fact, the short term effects are unknown. HGH in it's synthetic form has been around for only a few years. It usually takes over a decade for the FDA to rule on any new drugs that are not used for life threatening problems. They need to see how a drug effects a person in the long term before letting it be used for something as minor as injury recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Despite reports to the contrary, HGH is not a legal prescription for healing after an injury. Doctors are only allowed by the FDA to prescribe HGH for a very short list of illnesses, and recovery from injury is not one of them.

Doctors, however, are allowed to prescribe any drug for any reason, if they see fit, but they must be able to justify it to the FDA, if it is outside the FDA regulations.

That is how all these athletes get their prescriptions, from doctors who were going outside of the FDA regulations. The doctor who prescribed HGH to Ankeil and others was caught doing it carelessly, and he faced charges for it.

The reason why the FDA has not approved it for recovery from injury is that the long term effects are so unknown. In fact, the short term effects are unknown. HGH in it's synthetic form has been around for only a few years. It usually takes over a decade for the FDA to rule on any new drugs that are not used for life threatening problems. They need to see how a drug effects a person in the long term before letting it be used for something as minor as injury recovery.
    Excellent post. I also think in most cases these athletes are going to these doctors and saying they need the HGH to recover from these injuries and the doctors are going ahead and doing it. If you're a doctor in NYC and Roger Clemens asks for this, who's going to tell him no? Also, I'm sure the doctors are making money from somewhere for prescribing the stuff as well.

I have always been a huge, and let me tell ya huge Pettitte fan. I don't know why, but I have been. I was always stated that he would land in the Hall some day. Yesh, that is how big of a fan I was. My friends were laughing at me the whole time and they even made a $100 wager with me that he wouldn't make it. Looks like I will cough up a $100 now. And although I am not going to be as big a fan of Pettitte as I would have been....well I am on the fence about the guy now. He did cheat and that's huge. I just don't know how I feel yet about rooting for someone who lied and cheated like that. I know that it should be cut and dry but I knew someone on the Mitchell Report would be named and it would be one guy that I absolutely adored as a player and I knew that I would have this reaction. Anyways, only time will tell.

Now I have 2 questions for redszone people out there...

1. We are in desperate need for another SP. What happens if Pettitte now decides to leave the New York Yankees behind and sign with another club out of the blue. He chooses Cincinnati of all places (now mind you this is hypothetical and has a chance of about 0.000000000001% of actually happening if that high) and he signs for an incredibly low salary packed on with incentives and bonuses. Well he becomes our number 2 guy and pitches lights out. How do we feel about him now? And we know he is constantly being watched, scrutined, and tested the whole season? I am just curious as to how harshly he would be scruntized by the fans or if they would be lukewarm at first and eventually grow to like him? I am very curious as to that? Or has he just done something that is unforgivable and even if he led the Reds to the promise land with a bunch of youngsters, he would still get the cold shoulder? Now this could be anyone BIG on that list, I am just using Pettitte....this is something that I have be very curious about.

2. Also, since Pettitte has basically admitted it and Clemens is adhemently denying anything and everything and you know that they were basically attached with all the workouts and everything else, how has their friendship been since the Report was released? Is it the same you think? You think they are shrugging it off? Are they arguing? Are they even speaking? Have they fist fought til one was knocked out unconscious....I am just kidding there, but this is something that has crept into my brain as well, with some people that we so close and now it appears because of one document their whole friendship could be torn apart....so any thoughts there?

Please, I want to hear some honest opinions on both....

Turn Off Ads?