Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Accepted to college

Accepted to college

I just found out the other day I was accepted to William Paterson University and UNC Charlotte. I am still waiting on word from my number one choice of UNLV as well as a couple of other schools I have some degree of interest in. Gotta say that this to me is an exciting time.

So since I know I'm younger than the average Redszoner I ask what college you attended and if anyone has some fond memories of the times of SATs, mulitple applications, and number crunching.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Accepted to college

I attended Ohio University in Athens.

Best 7 years of my life.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I was a lazy bum. I applied to 3 schools (Wisconsin, OSU, and PSU) and got in to each. Nobody offered me much money since I got screwed over by PSU re: National Merit Scholarship and UW offered reciprocity with the state of Minnesota (where I went to high school), so there it was.

In retrospect, I wish I had done a bit more homework on the academic programs of each. It wasn't until Freshman orientation that I learned Wisconsin didn't offer an undergraduate program for my intended major, architecture... oops.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 12-18-2007 at 02:23 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Oh man, the whole college application time was very annoying, so much mail and stupid things to deal with. But don't let it stress you out too much....unless your needs/wants in a college are very specific I'm sure you can have a great time and get a great education wherever you decide to go. My best recommendation would be that if you're wavering between two schools just go with what your gut tells you. I couldn't decide between Purdue and Ohio State but my gut just kept telling me OSU because I grew up my whole life in Ohio and was always a Buckeye fan. As long as you go to a school with a good name and good tradition then all the silly academic ranks and what not won't matter a bit. I've found it's more important to have the paper (degree) than the name of the school on the degree (as long as it's a good name). Do you think people will care that when I applied Purdue had a slightly better ranked engineering program than Ohio State?

I went to UC.
    Because they would take me without SAT scores. Back then, if you signed with an X you were in. These are different times, my boy.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I attended Ohio University in Athens.

Best 7 years of my life.
    I attended James Madison University in Harrisonburg, VA.

Best 4 years of my life that I WISH had been 7 years.

Looking back, I was woefully uninformed about the whole application process. That was also before you could learn everything in the world about a school from the internet (1987).

Still, JMU was, and is, a great school and I wouldn't change my choice even if I could.

I also applied to U. of Richmond, UVA and William & Mary.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I just found out the other day I was accepted to William Paterson University and UNC Charlotte. I am still waiting on word from my number one choice of UNLV as well as a couple of other schools I have some degree of interest in. Gotta say that this to me is an exciting time.

So since I know I'm younger than the average Redszoner I ask what college you attended and if anyone has some fond memories of the times of SATs, mulitple applications, and number crunching.
    Waiting on my response from Ohio University, University of Cincinnati and Xavier University.

UC is my number one choice, congrats on getting accepted!

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I went to UC.
    Because they would take me without SAT scores. Back then, if you signed with an X you were in. These are different times, my boy.
    I had the Goldilocks experience when it came to higher education.

I went to OU... Hated it dropped out

I then went to UC.... Hated it more then OU, so I dropped out

I went to San Francisco State University hated it so I transfered

Went to UC Santa Cruz and it was justtttttt right.

I applied to and got into the University of Missouri, Washington University, and Harvard. I went to Mizzou and graduated last May. I'm currently waiting to receive admissions decisions for political science PhD programs at Stanford, Berkeley, UCSD, Ohio State, Illinois, Texas, Texas A&M, Duke, UNC-Chapel Hill, and Wisconsin.

RMR, what high school, in Minny did you go to?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I applied to Vanderbilt, Cornell, Northwestern, Syracuse, and Yale. Got into all but Yale. Went to Vanderbilt, and I won't lie, weather was truly the deciding factor in that decision.

The first acceptance letter I got was from Vanderbilt. My mom brought it to me as I was warming up to pitch before a high school baseball game.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Unlike the smarter people in this room, I went to THE University of Akron, followed by alternating quarters at Wright State & Sinclair & Jobs, followed by a year at Xavier.

And I'm 36 months away from paying it all off.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I applied to St. Louis University and the University of Dayton and was accepted by both, but ended up going to Duns Scotus College (a Franciscan seminary) in Southfield, MI for my freshman year. Returned to Cincinnati after that and went to UC for my sophomore year and some subsequent night school (when they had the full flown Evening College). Last class I took was a German class about 1979 or 1980. As I mentioned in the education thread, I've examined going back, but haven't really taken any real action; but that 87 year old guy inspired me!

I hardly remember the entrance tests. I know I took one or the other, but can't remember what I got on them.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I applied and was accepted early decision to Kenyon College in Gambier. Took less than 4 weeks to figure out that I didn't fit in, so I withdrew. Early decision seems like a simple approach to the process (only have to complete 1 application!), but the simplicity lulled me into the wrong choice.

Then I attended Ohio State at Newark for 2 years until I ran out of classes to take in my major.

I transferred to Otterbein College in Westerville and stayed a third year to finish coursework on a second major.

Then I decided to go on for a Master's degree. Having learned my lesson from the undergrad early-decision fiasco, I thoroughly checked out USC and U of Florida before settling on Syracuse. It was a good choice, but I was glad to have finished the program within a year. The Lake Superior snowbelt was not a place I enjoyed spending the winter!
    /r/reds

I applied to UK, Georgetown College, Vandy, and Brown.

I got accepted to all four, but chose Georgetown b/c they gave me virtually a full scholarship.

Joined a frat, lived on campus... it was a great four years. Could roll out of bed and be at class in 2 minutes.

American Studies and History double-major and minored in English. Would have had a triple major except for a fellow known as Chaucer. Still keep in touch with a few of my profs... the intimate atmosphere at Georgetown was exactly what I wanted out of my collegiate experience. I had friends at the University of Kentucky and I couldn't imagine going through what they went through to even get to class! And being in a class of hundreds of people once you got there!

Turn Off Ads?