Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The end of an era at The Big One - Gary Burbank's last week

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: The end of an era at The Big One - Gary Burbank's last week

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Thats my guess too.
    I don't see it (that'd be competing with ourselves, unless they really shuffle around the lineup)....however, this announcement is more top secret than the Nuclear program.

There isn't a peep about anything coming out of Darryl's office.

Maybe Darryl should be in charge of the Nuclear program :

I guess on this one, I won't know any sooner than anybody else
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 12-19-2007 at 07:26 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I liked the character retirement/layoff meeting that was on today. Gilbert has a 1-900 number that he and Gary can call in their spare time to hear Mrs. Butterworth say really hot things. I did notice that Dan Buckles said that the "smelly Redneck" would stay on. Is Gary going to still freelance some Earl Pitts?
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Has anyone heard any news/rumors on who the new host(s) may be?

It's begun....

Eddie Fingers and Tracy Jones. I hope it works out for them...I've always like Eddie on the Dawn Patrol, ever since I was a kid, and I understand Tracy's thing, so I find it amusing most of the time....

It will be interesting to hear (which I won't be able to do much of because I'm usually busy 3-6) how it works together.

I'm sure the suspense has been killing everyone...

The OFFICIAL release:

TRACY JONES AND EDDIE FINGERS JOIN
    THE BIG ONE!

Longtime WEBN morning personality Eddie Fingers and former Reds star and 700WLW weekend personality Tracy Jones have joined The Big One as the new hosts of the station’s 3pm-6pm weekday program. The new show will start on Tuesday, January 8th.

700WLW Director of AM Operations Darryl Parks said, “Having two radio stars such as Tracy and Eddie come to 700WLW is a huge win for us. In a market such as Cincinnati that enjoys its known personalities, having two that have established themselves already is a huge win for us. One of the reasons 700WLW has been so successful over the years is the longevity of its stars. On Tuesday we start a new course toward the future.”

Eddie says, “I sort of look at this like a bad Lifetime cable movie. The husband goes through a divorce and gets remarried and the kids hate the new mom. But, soon they fall in love with her.”

Tracy continued, “Coming up to the Reds in 1988, we used to listen to Gary Burbank each day in the Reds Clubhouse. This is an incredible honor. But, I do have to add, what are they thinking?

Eddie Fingers and Tracy Jones replace longtime 700WLW personality Gary Burbank, who retired after 27 years with the station in December 2007.

With its 50,000 watts, 700WLW is heard in 38 states and also on XM Satellite Radio on Channel 173 and at 700wlw.com. 700WLW is owned by Clear Channel Communications.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 01-07-2008 at 05:23 PM.

This combination makes no sense at all...I don't give it 6 months..dj from a debaucherous radio station and an ex-jock????

Stat geek...and proud

People on the radio boards and the comments on Kieswetter's blog are VERY negative. People just don't like Tracy Jones. I predict Tracy is gone before the year is out. Eddie is good if he has someone to play off of, and Tracy Jones is not that guy. I'll give it a shot though, and give them a chance to win me over.

And what's WEBN going to do in mornings? Put someone else in to lead the Dawn Patrol, or a new show altogether?

When was Tracy Jones actually a "Reds star"?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    People on the radio boards and the comments on Kieswetter's blog are VERY negative. People just don't like Tracy Jones. I predict Tracy is gone before the year is out. Eddie is good if he has someone to play off of, and Tracy Jones is not that guy. I'll give it a shot though, and give them a chance to win me over.

And what's WEBN going to do in mornings? Put someone else in to lead the Dawn Patrol, or a new show altogether?

I believe Shroom will take over Eddie's role on WEBN.

Eddie's excited because he can stay out late and sleep in

Good God!!!

I quess the best thing about this is not hearing Tracy Jones after Reds games.

This should really boost Lance McAlisters ratings.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 01-08-2008 at 03:36 AM.

Man, have we gotten old and gone mainstream.

The one-time renegade DJ from the one-time underground FM station is now the AM radio drive-home guy. Pretty soon they'll pair Eddie with Jim Scott.

I have become my father. Jeez.

Pay attention to the open sky

I think it'll bomb, but I like it. It's different than Gary, thankfully they didn't try a clone in his spot.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    This combination makes no sense at all...I don't give it 6 months..dj from a debaucherous radio station and an ex-jock????
    I bet it will make more sense during baseball season.
    /r/reds

I think it might work out, most completely random mixes turn out fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Pretty soon they'll pair Eddie with Jim Scott.
    Jim Scott would be speechless around Eddie.

Matt--are you in line for extra innings?

I must be getting old, I remember when Eddie Fingers was the morning man on 96.5 in the 1980s and Robin Wood was young. Heck, I still think of Jim Scott as the new guy at WLW.

Turn Off Ads?