Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Today (Dec. 18th) in Cincinnati sports history

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Today (Dec. 18th) in Cincinnati sports history

The Cincinnati Stingers of the Central Hockey League formally folded following a 10-1 loss against Oklahoma City in front of 949 fans at Riverfront Coliseum. "It is with deep regret that I must announce that the Cincinnati Stingers are unable to continue and will cease operations effective immediately," Ronald Ryan, executive vice president and general manager, said in a prepared statement after the game.

Bud Poile, president of the Central Hockey League, said the Stingers told him in the afternoon before their last game that the franchise could not carry
    on. "At 3 p.m., they reached the point that they realized that the Stingers operation must fold," Poile said. "I am more embarrassed than disappointed.

We've explored all possibilities and there's no way we can continue for this year. "There is no way any team in our league can operate under these conditions, which include the highest hockey rent in the world - $7,300" per game in Riverfront Coliseum."

Former WHA Stinger Paul Stewart gave the fans in attendance a show in the last game, fighting three times.

Thanks to Don Helbig for the information

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Re: Today (Dec. 18th) in Cincinnati sports history

A team north of the Stingers that my dad and I used to see play when I was a kid at Hara Arena. My dad enjoyed watching the Dayton Gems. They too folded operations sometime in the mid to late 1970's.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Turn Off Ads?