Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Mets sign Matt Wise

Mets sign Matt Wise

The Mets have signed free-agent RHP Matt Wise to a one-year contract.

Wise, 32, was 3-2 with one save and a 4.19 ERA in a career-high 56 games last year for the Brewers.

Mets GM Omar Minaya, on Wise…

“Matt has had success in a variety of roles. He adds a versatile arm to the bullpen.”

Since 2005, Wise has posted a 3.27 ERA against the NL East.

…if i recall correctly, he was on course for a dominant season, but fell apart in late July after hitting a batter in the head…after that, it’s like his wheels came off and he could not find the strike zone to save his life…hopefully this has worked itself out…

He had a 2.19 ERA in June.

He then hit Pedro Lopez in the head, had a 4.22 ERA in July, had a 7.71 ERA in August and had a 10.38 ERA in September.

What do you all think? Was this a Wise decision by the Mets? (ducks for cover)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mets sign Matt Wise

Yea think its a good signing, the guy is pretty solid i was really surprised he was even released.

I am amazed we did not get in on him, if memory serves me correctly, he was mentioned as the center piece of a trade for Adam Dunn last year - may have just been a rumor but it was out there! Now he is available for the taking and we don't go after him? Curious!

Off the schneid

Seriously, I'm not disappointed that we didn't get Wise. After he hit Lopez last year, it was clear that it got in his head and he was completely ineffective afterward. I watched a couple of games he pitched in later in the season and he was clearly still messed up - very tentative on the mound, not aggressive after hitters, etc.
    I honestly felt sorry for the guy. Hopefully he can bounce back, but this is anything but a safe bet by the Mets investing in him.

Turn Off Ads?