Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Dogs

Worth The Wait

Dogs

Sent this to everyone on my email list, thought I'd share it with you all as well

I wanted to pass along a quick story to all of you, and ask you all for a small favor as well.

As you may know, I have a real soft spot for animals, especially stray dogs. We adopted Vinny from a wonderful local place her called "Pets and People." They are a no-kill shelter and they do truly amazing work. Remarkable. Since then, I've kept up with them, donated when possible, and even "sponsored" a few dogs
    here and there.

Today, I had to swing by Jennie's office to give her something. In the parking lot, I came across the most adorable little lost dog. He was rummaging through the parking lot looking for anything to eat. He seemed somewhat well groomed, and he was wearing a collar, but he had no tags. He was also not neutered and
    his hair coat was a bit ruffled. I decided to scoop him up. He was a bit nervous of me, but he was very sweet and had no aggression when I put him in my truck.

I took him to a local vet and the "scanned" him to see if he had one of those microchips-- he didn't. And they had no room for him.

So, I called Pets and People. They too, had no room. But they offered to give him full vaccanations for free so that I would be able to board him somewhere if I found an opening. When I got to Pets and People, the ladies there fell in love with him, but they are under a mandate from the city to get their "numbers" down
    or else. They vaccanaited him for free, and they gauged that he was about one year old. He seemed to be in decent shape, but the fact that he was not neutered and did not have tags certainly raised eyebrows about how responsible his owners
    were.

They got on the phone and called all over town trying to find a vet that had boarding room. I was 100% prepared to pay a day to day fee at any boarding place until we could place him permanently. But all of the vets were booked due to the holidays. Our little guy was out of luck.

The lady who runs Pets and People then disappeared into her office and came back and told me that she just learned that they had one slot open and could take him after all. He is now there, in a safe place, where he will almost certainly get adopted soon (just look at his pictures!).

I know they didn't really have room, but these people have such big hearts. I can't express how much affection they give these lost, abandoned, and often abused animals. They do it 24-7, 365 days a year, for no money. We're talking hundreds of cats and dogs.

Of course, people still take advantage of them. I felt guilty enough handing over one more dog to them (although I would have taken him myself if I had to). But people dump dogs on their property all the time-- even tieing them up in the dog park occasionally. A few Christmas's ago, someone even broke in and stole the money from their safe if you can believe that.

Anyway, that's the story, and now I wanted to ask two favors of all of you:

1. If you were having any trouble finding a worthy holiday chairty, or if you had a few bucks to spare this season, I can assure you that every penny they receive goes to the care of their animals and the animals that will eventually come their way. There are thousands of worthy charities out there-- and this one
    is no more "deserving" than the next, but this one happens to have affected me personally, so I thought I'd try to "spread the word" as much as possible.

2. Please forward this to people on your email lists. It's not spam, and I certainly don't want anything from anyone. Just decided that I would try and do my part and get the word out to as many people as possible.

Vinny is 100% a part of everything we do. He is at every family gathering, etc... he is a wonderful part of our lives. And Pets and People saved him off the streets. They took him back when the first people who adopted him "returned" him. They took him back, no questions asked, and continued to "stick with him"
    until he found us. That takes tremendous love and patience. I'm grateful for everything they do.

If this isn't "your thing," then no big deal. Just thought I'd let you all know about them.

Here is a link to their website with a list of all of their dogs (pay special attention to "Itchy" who has become a pet project of mine )

I am also including some of their info, and of course, pictures of our little lost friend.

Thank you for your time, I hope this finds everyone healthy and happy,

Ed(ward)

http://www.petsandpeople.com/browse/petdirdogs.htm

Pets and People
    701 Inla Avenue
    Yukon, Oklahoma 73099

info@petsandpeople.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dogs

Good cause. I'll have to keep them in mind.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I can definitely relate when it comes to love for animals. Some of you may remember a thread I posted here a few months ago when my dog passed about 7 or so months ago now.

I went to the shelter around 4 months ago now and realized instantly... that I was not built to go into shelters. I wished I had enough land to take every one of them home with me. Unfortunately though, I'm a broke college student with a small back yard. I did manage to get one home though. She's a 2 year old lab mix. While every other dog was barking away she just sat there calm as can be and that's how I knew we'd mesh well
    She did have a problem with running though, which is why she was there, but we've worked on it to the point where she's manageable.

Anyway, I've tried to make time to go back to the shelter to walk some of the dogs around the park area when I can, since they rarely get the chance otherwise. I'd advise an animal lover not to go into one of those places unless you're ready to make a commitment I'll definitely be keeping this in mind though, my sister is big into the email forwards at work, so I'll make sure she passes it along.
    Last edited by HumnHilghtFreel; 12-18-2007 at 09:19 PM.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

There is probably a local place close to you that needs help also. The one I help will take donations of money, food, litter etc.

HHF, she looks made for snow. Reminds me of when I was a teen. I'd hook two or three of my coonhounds to this big toboggan sled we had and mush them around like huskies pulling the little neighborhood kids around. Dogs and kids both loved it. Good times.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    I can definitely relate when it comes to love for animals. Some of you may remember a thread I posted here a few months ago when my dog passed about 7 or so months ago now.

I went to the shelter around 4 months ago now and realized instantly... that I was not built to go into shelters. I wished I had enough land to take every one of them home with me. Unfortunately though, I'm a broke college student with a small back yard. I did manage to get one home though. She's a 2 year old lab mix. While every other dog was barking away she just sat there calm as can be and that's how I knew we'd mesh well
    She did have a problem with running though, which is why she was there, but we've worked on it to the point where she's manageable.

Anyway, I've tried to make time to go back to the shelter to walk some of the dogs around the park area when I can, since they rarely get the chance otherwise. I'd advise an animal lover not to go into one of those places unless you're ready to make a commitment I'll definitely be keeping this in mind though, my sister is big into the email forwards at work, so I'll make sure she passes it along.

Thank you. And as Boyds of Summer mentioned, I am sure every city in America has a similar spot. They could all use all the help they can get.

Thanks for that post Ed.

Remdog was a 'found' dog. One of the best things that ever happened to me. Next came 'Stevie' who we rescued from an animal shelter.

Almost all of these animals at shelters are looking for nothing more than love and an opportunity to return that love a hundred fold. They very well might be the sweetest creatures on this earth, IMO.

I want to say more but I think I'll stop here 'cause I'll probably get too emotional about this.

Rem

Ed, he looks a lot my my beagle. He looks to be a beagle - basset hound mix. I know he's at at least got blue-tick beagle in him and he's mixed with something.

Here's mine, there's a lot of similarities.
    Last edited by MWM; 12-19-2007 at 09:15 AM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Unfortunately this time of year a lot of dogs - and cats - are given as gifts and then a little while later the family has to get rid of the animal. Then you have the same problem with overcrowed shelters and abandoned animals. It's pretty sad and people should really think before giving a pet as a Christmas gift.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Ed, he looks a lot my my beagle. He looks to be a beagle - basset hound mix. I know he's at at least got blue-tick beagle in him and he's mixed with something.

Here's mine, there's a lot of similarities.
    Very similar, and the both resemble my dog, Vinny. We believe him to be part beagle-bassett as well.

Turn Off Ads?