Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Here's a thought: Brett Myers

Here's a thought: Brett Myers

Think the Reds should inquire Philly about Brett Myers? They placed him in the BP last year after only 3 starts, an odd decision if ever there was one.

Myers has a good K rate, and while the hits have increased a tad over the past couple years, he could probably be an extremely solid 3 or 4 in this rotation.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Here's a thought: Brett Myers

Probably take a lot to get him. He had some success as their closer last year. Not sure the Phils will give that up on the cheap. We can do better with the glut of prospects we seem to have now.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Sounds great as i was pondering over the same thing earlier this offseason. It just seemed to me though with the rotation as shaky as theirs their only fixtures they can count on are Cole Hamels(who happens to have an injury risk), Jamie Moyer( his age could take an effect on him at any time) with others who lack dependability like Kyle Kendrick( yeah he didnt do bad last year but he is still inexperienced), Carlos Carrasco( great prospect though never pitched in the majors), and Adam Eaton (besides his constant injuries hes nothing great when healthy anyway). i guess they could always throw in travis blackley, ryan madson( he did start back in his minor league days) and maybe just maybe scott mathieson but regardless i still believe that the Phillies are hoping that one way or another he will go back to his original form and allow less hits and homeruns allowing them to throw him back in the rotation. something along those lines......

With the acquisition of Brad Lidge it is assumed that Myers will be a major part of their rotation. Like us, the Phillies are looking to acquire pitching, not trade it...

that sounds better and shorter. whatever he said

Considering the Phillies will be contending for the division again next year, I don't see them trading someone as valuable as Myers. Good reliever and starter.

I too brought up this same idea in November. Then later I read somewhere that the Phillies brought in Lidge to compete with Tom Gordon for the closer job so they could convert Brett Myers back to the rotation. Of course I can't remember where I read this. However it blew my idea away for the Reds trying to get Myers. Brett Myers 200K and 200IP makes him a top starter in the NL. He's finally going back where he needs too be.

Old Red Guard Reject

I heard a radio interview with Brett Myers on the Lex and Terry Show of all places where Brett said he would be a starter this season. Apparently the Phils are set on Lidge to close.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Turn Off Ads?