Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jay Bruce, how good will be be?

Re: Jay Bruce, how good will be be?

Ahhh ... we've had some fun with this, but chettt was probably looking for a bit of seriousness.

So in trying to switch to serious mode (hey, I was only half-joking) ...

If you were going to develop a blueprint of the perfect young outfielder, Jay Bruce isn't too terribly far away from that blueprint. The guy can just flat out do almost everything exceptionally well, and the main ingredient (hitting) he does do exceptionally well.

One of the things that Barry Larkin was held in high regard for was that he was one of the most complete players in baseball history who happened to play shortstop. Bruce isn't a shortstop like Larkin was, but he is playing a demanding position in his own right in center field. And unlike some scouting reports showing he's an eventual move to right field, I'm not buying it. I really think his actual center field defense right now is undervalued, and I do believe has a great chance to be a major defensive asset in center field.

Now I don't want to go projecting Jay Bruce to be a Hall of Famer, but Bruce at his age is showing similarities of Hall of Fame players. What I mean is, he's headed down the same path. That doesn't mean he'll stay on that path, but so far at his age he's on that path. Hall of Famers are almost always either already impact players at a very young age, or like Bruce, showing serious signs of developing into impact players at a very young age.

The only minor flaw in Bruce's game, in my eyes, is that I wish his walk rate was a tad higher. But I'm not concerned about it right now, because 1) Bruce has said he wants it to be higher (and he's proven that he is a hard worker), and 2) it's high enough that a meaningful improvement isn't unrealistic, especially since every other facet of his hitting game is off-the-charts fantastic.

So how good will Bruce be? Nobody knows, not even Bruce. But his talent mixed with his work ethic mixed with his age mixed with the path he's on now all point to amazing things.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

If you look in the American League rules, the technical name for the position is the "Designated Jay Bruce."

Jay Bruce home runs are not measured by tape measures, they are tracked by GPS satellites.

Jay Bruce catches everything in centerfield, included germs and diseases. His body fights those diseases off by smashing them with miniature bats produced by his bone marrow. So far, Jay Bruce has never been sick.

Nobody pencils Jay Bruce in on a lineup card -- they carve his name using the blood of vanquished opponents.

Before Jay Bruce bats, evacuation orders are given for 3 miles behind the outfield walls.

Jay Bruce was not issued a birth certificate in the hospital, instead he was given a Hall of Fame plaque with his Social Security Number pre-engraved. That number? Infinity.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    If you look in the American League rules, the technical name for the position is the "Designated Jay Bruce."

Jay Bruce home runs are not measured by tape measures, they are tracked by GPS satellites.

Jay Bruce catches everything in centerfield, included germs and diseases. His body fights those diseases off by smashing them with miniature bats produced by his bone marrow. So far, Jay Bruce has never been sick.

Nobody pencils Jay Bruce in on a lineup card -- they carve his name using the blood of vanquished opponents.

Before Jay Bruce bats, evacuation orders are given for 3 miles behind the outfield walls.

Jay Bruce was not issued a birth certificate in the hospital, instead he was given a Hall of Fame plaque with his Social Security Number pre-engraved. That number? Infinity.
    Very creative ... did you come up with those on your own?

Jay Bruce lost his virginity before his dad.

Jay Bruce's calender goes straight from March 31st to April the 2nd because nobody fools Jay Bruce.

They once made Jay Bruce toilet paper, but it wouldn't take sh** from anybody.
    Jay Bruce can beat Ray Charles or Stevie Wonder in a staring contest.
    Jay Bruce makes onions cry.

I'm curious as to who votes for the "Baseball America Minor Leaguer of the Year Award"?

I assume it is sports writers?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I'm curious as to who votes for the "Baseball America Minor Leaguer of the Year Award"?

I assume it is sports writers?
    The writers at Baseball America.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    They once made Jay Bruce toilet paper, but it wouldn't take sh** from anybody.
    Jay Bruce can beat Ray Charles or Stevie Wonder in a staring contest.
    Jay Bruce makes onions cry.
    Jay Bruce was born on February 30th. Of next year.

According to the Federal Rules of Evidence, Jay Bruce is always relevant.

Jay Bruce walks on 4 pitches just like anyone else, but when he does, the balls light up on the scoreboard at 50 times their normal size.

On his taxes, Jay Bruce claims the other 24 members of his team as "dependents."

Jay Bruce's sweat can be injected as a performance-enhancing drug. Users of this substance can be identified when their heads explode spontaneously.

Any item with Jay Bruce's signature immediately becomes legal tender and can be traded for cash at all Federal Reserve banks.

March 19, 2003: Shipment of Jay Bruce bats mistakenly delivered in Baghdad.
    March 20, 2003: United States Invades Iraq to find WMDs
    Coincidence?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I'm thinking Darryl Strawberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    I really think his actual center field defense right now is undervalued, and I do believe has a great chance to be a major defensive asset in center field.
    have you seen him play CF? or is this very wishful thinking?

honestly, I can't remember the last minor leaguer whose defense was undervalued. Usually they show up and you're thinking, "hey, I was told that he was a great defender but he defends like a DH"
    Last edited by princeton; 12-21-2007 at 09:09 AM.

Considering his complete package of skills for a center-fielder, could you draw comparisons between him and a younger Griffey Jr.?

You hear Larry Walker's name all the time with Bruce, but is it possible that his ceiling might be even higher (than Griffey Jr. or Walker)?

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    Considering his complete package of skills for a center-fielder, could you draw comparisons between him and a younger Griffey Jr.?

You hear Larry Walker's name all the time with Bruce, but is it possible that his ceiling might be even higher (than Griffey Jr. or Walker)?
    if his ceiling were higher than Jr's, he'd be Babe Ruth

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    if his ceiling were higher than Jr's, he'd be Babe Ruth
    No kidding. There's only been one prospect with a higher ceiling than Jr.'s and he just signed a $275 million contract.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    I'm thinking Darryl Strawberry.
    Doesn't his BB/K ratio worry you a bit? It does me. That's the only weakness in his game, but it's a major one for a developing player, IMO.

for reference...
    Bruce's ratio is 37BB/100K
    Strawberry's was 60BB/100K for his career

The only comparable current MLB player I can find (in a rather limited search) with a ratio like Bruce's is Geoff Jenkins.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Turn Off Ads?