Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the Reds #19 prospect?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Scott Carroll

0 0%
  • Chris Dickerson

4 4.60%
  • Rafael Gonzalez

0 0%
  • Sean Henry

0 0%
  • Evan Hildenbrandt

1 1.15%
  • Sam Lecure

4 4.60%
  • Derrik Lutz

3 3.45%
  • Marcus McBeth

1 1.15%
  • Tyler Pelland

24 27.59%
  • Justin Reed

4 4.60%
  • Jordan Smith

0 0%
  • Craig Tatum

2 2.30%
  • Daryl Thompson

13 14.94%
  • Justin Turner

3 3.45%
  • Chris Valaika

9 10.34%
  • Pedro Viola

17 19.54%
  • Other (please specify)

2 2.30%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Redszone Community Prospect Vote #19

Re: Redszone Community Prospect Vote #19

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I'll take the major league ready reliever, Pelland.
    I'd agree with you if Pelland had done anything to indicate he's major league ready. He hasn't.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I've voted for Thompson for a while now. His numbers don't scream #5 starter to me. They seem to say he has the upside of a #3, like mentioned above.

Either way, he's a starter option. And he's young, he has plenty of time to develop. It's possible he might end up the best asset traded in "The Trade".

Tzu-Kai Chiu.

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    I've voted for Thompson for a while now. His numbers don't scream #5 starter to me. They seem to say he has the upside of a #3, like mentioned above.

Either way, he's a starter option. And he's young, he has plenty of time to develop. It's possible he might end up the best asset traded in "The Trade".
    Just curious, but what about him screams #3 starter? Does anyone else feel this way and would they care to base that on anything more than a gut feeling at this point. Because IMO he sure isn't pitching like a future #3 big league starter right now.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Tzu-Kai Chiu.
    I will add him to the next poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Just curious, but what about him screams #3 starter? Does anyone else feel this way and would they care to base that on anything more than a gut feeling at this point. Because IMO he sure isn't pitching like a future #3 big league starter right now.
    The thing that worries me about him is that coming off the shoulder injury there are varying reports of his velocity. BA said he wasn't where he was pre surgery and then milb.com said he hit 95. He wasn't hitting 95 when he was with the Nationals and pre surgery, so there is a gray area with him for me right now. Still like him as a prospect though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    With Sarasota in 2007 Daryl Thompson had a 3.12 K/BB ratio. Homer Bailey's career minor league K/BB ratio was 2.33, and Johnny Cueto's was 4.37... How many times do we have to show you the numbers he put up in Sarasota last year?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    With Sarasota in 2007 Daryl Thompson had a 3.12 K/BB ratio. Homer Bailey's career minor league K/BB ratio was 2.33, and Johnny Cueto's was 4.37... How many times do we have to show you the numbers he put up in Sarasota last year?
    I like a good K/BB as much as anyone and Thompson certainly has a good one. The problem is even with a fairly sterling K/BB Thompson's not all that great a pitcher. He's in the strike zone, but hitters can handle him (to the tune of a 1.63 HR/9, which in the FSL is a beyond category disaster).

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I like a good K/BB as much as anyone and Thompson certainly has a good one. The problem is even with a fairly sterling K/BB Thompson's not all that great a pitcher. He's in the strike zone, but hitters can handle him (to the tune of a 1.63 HR/9, which in the FSL is a beyond category disaster).
    not calling you out-but could that be a flukey thing then? Can anyone check his GB rate? Seems to me that he is pretty good if he could post a low ERA with that many homers and a decently high hit rate...

Some others to consider for next poll:

Valiquette
    Janish
    Jose Castro
    Webb
    Cozart

not calling you out-but could that be a flukey thing then? Can anyone check his GB rate? Seems to me that he is pretty good if he could post a low ERA with that many homers and a decently high hit rate...
    Thompson is a flyball pitcher, big time. Last year in Sarasota he allowed just 34% of the balls in play against him to be on the ground. His HR per flyball rate is a high 9% (for the league that is extremely high).

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Some others to consider for next poll:

Valiquette
    Janish
    Jose Castro
    Webb
    Cozart
    Will do.

I think its about time to start removing players who had no votes the previous poll and listing them as potential guys in the thread rather than having 8 choices getting no votes.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Thompson is a flyball pitcher, big time. Last year in Sarasota he allowed just 34% of the balls in play against him to be on the ground. His HR per flyball rate is a high 9% (for the league that is extremely high).
    Thanks for the info. Was wondering where you can get GB% for minor league pitchers? Knowing he is such an extreme flyball pitcher would have influenced my vote... I was just basing my decision on the stats I can see!

Thanks for the info. Was wondering where you can get GB% for minor league pitchers? Knowing he is such an extreme flyball pitcher would have influenced my vote... I was just basing my decision on the stats I can see!
    www.firstinning.com

Well, that's just it, he didn't post a low ERA. 3.77 might even be a tick below average in that league (certainly for someone considered to be a prospect).

Give most pitchers a 3:1 K/BB and they put a blister on a circuit (think low 2.00s). It would seem Thompson's the type that needs to be almost flawless in that area just to stay average and that makes me question whether he deserves much (or really any) fanfare.

And don't worry about the "calling you out" stuff, we're just kicking around how to interpret his performance.
    Last edited by M2; 12-20-2007 at 10:20 PM.

Turn Off Ads?