Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the Reds #19 prospect?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Scott Carroll

0 0%
  • Chris Dickerson

4 4.60%
  • Rafael Gonzalez

0 0%
  • Sean Henry

0 0%
  • Evan Hildenbrandt

1 1.15%
  • Sam Lecure

4 4.60%
  • Derrik Lutz

3 3.45%
  • Marcus McBeth

1 1.15%
  • Tyler Pelland

24 27.59%
  • Justin Reed

4 4.60%
  • Jordan Smith

0 0%
  • Craig Tatum

2 2.30%
  • Daryl Thompson

13 14.94%
  • Justin Turner

3 3.45%
  • Chris Valaika

9 10.34%
  • Pedro Viola

17 19.54%
  • Other (please specify)

2 2.30%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Redszone Community Prospect Vote #19

Re: Redszone Community Prospect Vote #19

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Well, that's just it, he didn't post a low ERA. 3.77 might even be a tick below average in that league (certainly for someone considered to be prospect).

Give most pitchers a 3:1 K/BB and they put a blister on a circuit (think low 2.00s). It would seem Thompson's the type that needs to be almost flawless in that area just to stay average and that makes me question whether he deserves much (or really any) fanfare.

And don't worry about the "calling you out" stuff, we're just kicking around how to interpret his performance.
    My mind has been somewhat changed, and although I stand by my love for starters over relievers, I'm less confident in Thompson now...

2. Turn Off Ads?

In the starting pitcher category, why is Thompson getting more votes than Sam Lecure? Lecure had an excellent strikeout rate at AA, a level higher than Thompson, and didn't give up as many long balls as Thompson did. They are both good prospects and Thompson is still quite young and promising. But I think Lecure needs a bandwagon soon in the poll.

I've always liked Sam LeCure. Thought he would really progress in 2007 but he got injured.

He had 115 K's and just 46 BB's at AA in 2007.

He could really step up in 2008.

I've always liked Sam LeCure. Thought he would really progress in 2007 but he got injured.

He had 115 K's and just 46 BB's at AA in 2007.

He could really step up in 2008.

The fact that his K rate increased in '07 was surprising, but the extra walks scare me. Judging from his stuff, in theory his K rate should fall as he moves up the ladder. He'll have to be a bit more control-oriented if he's going to be a usable starter. He's probably my next pick due to Thopmson's ridiculous HR/9 in one of the more pitcher oriented leagues in the minors.

I'm going with Pedro Viola. He really needs the votes. They're both left-handed relievers, and when you compare their stats, it's very silly to me if you would even consider picking Pelland over Viola (no offense to those who voted for Pelland).

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I'm going with Pedro Viola. He really needs the votes. They're both left-handed relievers, and when you compare their stats, it's very silly to me if you would even consider picking Pelland over Viola (no offense to those who voted for Pelland).

Pelland is a younger pitcher performing well at a higher level (AAA). Also has a longer track record in Reds system. Did better in Arizona Fall League.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-20-2007 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    With Sarasota in 2007 Daryl Thompson had a 3.12 K/BB ratio. Homer Bailey's career minor league K/BB ratio was 2.33, and Johnny Cueto's was 4.37... How many times do we have to show you the numbers he put up in Sarasota last year?
    I think some here have answered your question, but I will answer you anyhow. The point I think is to not just look at one set of #'s, you gotta look at them all. Granted I don't know enough to make an informed decision on Thompson (I don't have a corresponding scouting report, and haven't seen him pitch), all I have is the #'s. However those #'s show he isn't dominating A+ if he were the Hits per nine wouldn't be so high unless of course the defense is atrocious which is possible.

In short I've seen the #'s and they don't add up to your claim of him being anywhere close to a #3. What I was asking for was a scouting report on him or the team to make some sense of the low K/9 and high Hits/9 for someone at that level who has much of a future.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Go Pedro Viola!

What I was asking for was a scouting report on him or the team to make some sense of the low K/9 and high Hits/9 for someone at that level who has much of a future.
    What's wrong with averaging over 8K/9 in A+ after missing a whole season with injury? He's no Clayton Kershaw, but that's nothing to complain about.

And as for H/9, that's become a popular stat in this prospect ranking thing and here's my beef with it. Strikeout rate, homerun rate, and luck (or BABIP...whatever you prefer) are what make up a pitcher's hit rate. Good pitchers will generally have low H/9 and bad pitchers generally have high H/9, but there is still a large degree of variance in the stat that pitchers can't control, and the things they can control (K/9 and HR/9) can be judged in isolated terms rendering the whole stat worth nothing more than a glance in my opinion.

Thompson's problem isn't missing bats or throwing it over the plate, it's keeping the ball in the park. Hopefully last year was a fluke and his milton-esque homerun numbers will improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    What's wrong with averaging over 8K/9 in A+ after missing a whole season with injury? He's no Clayton Kershaw, but that's nothing to complain about.

And as for H/9, that's become a popular stat in this prospect ranking thing and here's my beef with it. Strikeout rate, homerun rate, and luck (or BABIP...whatever you prefer) are what make up a pitcher's hit rate. Good pitchers will generally have low H/9 and bad pitchers generally have high H/9, but there is still a large degree of variance in the stat that pitchers can't control, and the things they can control (K/9 and HR/9) can be judged in isolated terms rendering the whole stat worth nothing more than a glance in my opinion.

Thompson's problem isn't missing bats or throwing it over the plate, it's keeping the ball in the park. Hopefully last year was a fluke and his milton-esque homerun numbers will improve.
    Isn't he now 2 yrs removed from said injury?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Isn't he now 2 yrs removed from said injury?
    You're probably right. I was just saying he didn't really pitch last year because of an injury at some point in his life.

Better add Herrera to the list. He'll probably go #20 or #21.

Not sure about Volquez, he has made 14 MLB starts, so I doubt he qualifies.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Better add Herrera to the list. He'll probably go #20 or #21.

Not sure about Volquez, he has made 14 MLB starts, so I doubt he qualifies.
    I wouldn't rank Herrera in the top 50. 82 MPh fastball and a 55-60 MPH screwball/changeup pitch. His prospects as a major leaguer are slim and none and slim likely consists of a team being absolutely ravaged by injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I wouldn't rank Herrera in the top 50. 82 MPh fastball and a 55-60 MPH screwball/changeup pitch. His prospects as a major leaguer are slim and none and slim likely consists of a team being absolutely ravaged by injuries.
    Yeah I didn't know anything about his stuff when I said that. Just saw the numbers. He's basically a LH Carlos Guevara.

If he's no good, then why do you like this trade so much?
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Yeah I didn't know anything about his stuff when I said that. Just saw the numbers. He's basically a LH Carlos Guevara.

If he's no good, then why do you like this trade so much?
    Love Volquez. I would have done Hamilton for him straight up. However getting someone who can anchor your AA or AAA bullpen is still valuable to an organization.

Turn Off Ads?