Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Marshall Faulk

Marshall Faulk

I'm watching the ceremony right now as St. Louis is retiring his humber. It occurred to me that I'm not sure if he's appreciated by a lot of football fans for being as great as he was. He was truly one of the great players to ever play the football, and I don't know that anyone has been more classy.

The NFL needs more Marshall Faulks.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Marshall Faulk

"With the first pick in the 1994 NFL draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select Dan Wilkinson, defensive tackle, Ohio State......."

What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

The trade that sent him to St Louis was one of those win-wins.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

He got royally jobbed of the Heisman like no other.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I'm watching the ceremony right now as St. Louis is retiring his humber. It occurred to me that I'm not sure if he's appreciated by a lot of football fans for being as great as he was. He was truly one of the great players to ever play the football, and I don't know that anyone has been more classy.

What I like about Faulk is how incredibly humble he is. Its refreshing to hear him in the broadcast booth with Gumbel and Sanders and not wanting to talk about himself. Its not a real common trait amongst the NFL elite nowadays.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

He's not a terrible color commentator either.

He makes listening to Bryant Gumble almost bearable.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    He's not a terrible color commentator either.
    Agree. I heard him for the first time last week in the Bengals game and didn't know I was listening to for a while, but really liked what I was hearing. When I realized it was Marshall Faulk it make total sense. He was always a really smart guy. As a commentator, he was thoughtful and insightful and didn't try to sensationalize everything. I tink he could become another Tom Jackson. He's great in the booth. I wish ESPN would put him on the pregame show instead of Keyshawn or Emmitt.

I knew someone from St. Louis in grad school who had several opportunities to interact with Marshall in a casual, non-professional setting and she said he was just a fantastic guy.

People who are looking for role models and athletes to idolize should look no further. Unfortunately, he was too Tim Duncan like to ever become a meadi darling.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Agree. I heard him for the first time last week in the Bengals game and didn't know I was listening to for a while, but really liked what I was hearing. When I realized it was Marshall Faulk it make total sense. He was always a really smart guy. As a commentator, he was thoughtful and insightful and didn't try to sensationalize everything. I tink he could become another Tom Jackson. He's great in the booth. I wish ESPN would put him on the pregame show instead of Keyshawn or Emmitt.
    He's the first color commentator I've ever heard that was able to, pre-snap, read a defense and identify the correct target for the quarterback to hit with a pass. He did it several times during tonight's broadcast and really brought genuine insight to the game. His analysis didn't "dumb" the game down -- he talked to viewers operating from the assumption that they are NFL fans and already know what he means when he says "Base Cover 3 shell, 1 deep safety" or "Running the '4' route, deep inside cut" as a means of breaking the Tampa-2. I, for one, appreciate the hell out of it.

I hope he doesn't go to to ESPN, because he'd likely be under mandate to yell a lot more and bring less thoughtful insight to the table. I'm looking forward to hearing his work with NFLN the rest of the season.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    He's the first color commentator I've ever heard that was able to, pre-snap, read a defense and identify the correct target for the quarterback to hit with a pass. He did it several times during tonight's broadcast and really brought genuine insight to the game. His analysis didn't "dumb" the game down -- he talked to viewers operating from the assumption that they are NFL fans and already know what he means when he says "Base Cover 3 shell, 1 deep safety" or "Running the '4' route, deep inside cut" as a means of breaking the Tampa-2. I, for one, appreciate the hell out of it.

I hope he doesn't go to to ESPN, because he'd likely be under mandate to yell a lot more and bring less thoughtful insight to the table. I'm looking forward to hearing his work with NFLN the rest of the season.

Another commentator who could tell you the plays before they happened was Hank Stram. I used turn down the sound on MNF and listen to him and Jack Buck on the radio broadcast. He was uncanny at telling you what was going to be run. He almost never missed either. I really liked that. It helped understand the game better. Mostly theses guys now are nothing more than windbags who tell you nothing.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

"With the first pick in the 1994 NFL draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select Dan Wilkinson, defensive tackle, Ohio State......."
    You'll still find Dave Shula apologists who defend that stupid, stupid, pick.

If a guy like Marshall Faulk is there, you take him. I want to say the Bengals had Harold Green at RB at the time.

It would be like the Texans passing up Carson Palmer because they already have Matt Schaub in the fold.
    If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade. --Mitch Hedberg

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

He's the first color commentator I've ever heard that was able to, pre-snap, read a defense and identify the correct target for the quarterback to hit with a pass. He did it several times during tonight's broadcast and really brought genuine insight to the game.
    I thought the same exact thing. Both he and Deion called things before they happened. It was super cool.

Someone please get rid of Bryant Gumbel as play by play man. Is there anyone else in the history of broadcasting who is so awful at calling a ball spot?

"Al Gore for 3 yards," he'll say as the back gets 2 or 4 yards. It's awful.

The only thing I didn't like was how they were not mentioning TJ's passing of Pickens and the way they were ragging the Bengal's defense. The D deserves to be shamed but you have to be more professional, IMHO.
    If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade. --Mitch Hedberg

As a Colts fan I will argue with your assesment of someone being more classy. He flat didnt care if the team won or lost when he was here and has admitted as much during his first season or two with the Rams. He changed his ways with the Rams and redeemed himself.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    As a Colts fan I will argue with your assesment of someone being more classy. He flat didnt care if the team won or lost when he was here and has admitted as much during his first season or two with the Rams. He changed his ways with the Rams and redeemed himself.
    As a Colts fan, you gotta admit, those were some crappy teams he played on, except for the 95 & 96 teams. I'd be selfish too if I had to play on that team that started, what, 0-11 that one year? Heck, I've been a Colts fan since 1987 (I was 9) so it still seems weird to me that we are actually GOOD now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    You'll still find Dave Shula apologists who defend that stupid, stupid, pick.

If a guy like Marshall Faulk is there, you take him. I want to say the Bengals had Harold Green at RB at the time.

It would be like the Texans passing up Carson Palmer because they already have Matt Schaub in the fold.
    What is wrong with taking the physical freak that was the consensus number one pick at a position of pressing need? The Bengals have been trying to fix that position since Krumrie retired. Big Daddy had a long productive career, he just never lived up to the expectations of greatness. Granted I would have rather have had Faulk and then Boselli the next year, instead of Kijana, but hindsight is 20-20
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Turn Off Ads?