Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Athletes you loathed when they were young, but admired by the end!

Athletes you loathed when they were young, but admired by the end!

I was watching the highlight of Alonzo Mourning refusing to be brought off the court in a stretcher last night and instead limping off with the help of teammates. I thought about how much my pereption of him changed over the years. When he was a young guy, I didn't like him at all. He was one of those Georgetown guys from that era of cockiness and there was just something about him I didn't like. He was one of those players I actively rooted against.

But over the past several years, I've really come to have a great deal of respect for Mourning. He'e committed, about as passionate as an athlete could be, and he's had one hell of a career. And by all accounts, he's a fine human being.

Brett Favre is another. I just didn't like anything about the guy throughout the 90s and couldn't stand the Packers (still don't love the Packers). But he's a guy I've come to really admire and actively root for. He plays football like a kid plays the game. He will be sorely missed when leaves and I wish the NFL had a few more like him.

In baseball, that guy is Jeter. I alwasy thought he was over-rated (and probably still think so a little), but I've also come to realize what a great player he's truly been, and I've developed a lot of respect and admiration for him.

So who are some of the athletes you've completely changed yor perception of throughout their careers?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ahtletes you loathed when they were young, but admired by the end!

I'm the opposite on Favre. I used to love him, but the entire soap opera of the retirement game with him has changed my opinion. I know it's mostly media driven, but I can't help but think he likes the attention given to it on a yearly basis and plays it on purpose.

David West- As a UD fan, I couldn't stand the guy. It seemed every minor touch of him was called a foul, and he could mug on defense with no call. And when the smallest thing didn't go his way, he would pout and whine. Now though, I look back and realize what a special player he was in the A-10. I still think he was a whiny baby, but the emotion is gone. He was amazing. I love watching him on the Hornets.

Peyton Manning
    Ray Lewis
    Ichiro
    Greg Maddux

Ken Griffey Jr.
    Barry Bonds... sorry...
    Roger Federer.
    Duke Athletics as a whole.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

The Los Angeles Dodgers, particularly Garvey, Lopes, Cey, Valentine, Yeager and ahh yes, Tommy Lasorda.
    Terry Bradshaw
    Franco Harris
    Reggie Jackson
    Bert Campaneris
    Richie Allen

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I was watching the highlight of Alonzo Mourning refusing to be brought off the court in a stretcher last night and instead limping off with the help of teammates. I thought about how much my pereption of him changed over the years. When he was a young guy, I didn't like him at all. He was one of those Georgetown guys from that era of cockiness and there was just something about him I didn't like. He was one of those players I actively rooted against.

But over the past several years, I've really come to have a great deal of respect for Mourning. He'e committed, about as passionate as an athlete could be, and he's had one hell of a career. And by all accounts, he's a fine human being.

Brett Favre is another. I just didn't like anything about the guy throughout the 90s and couldn't stand the Packers (still don't love the Packers). But he's a guy I've come to really admire and actively root for. He plays football like a kid plays the game. He will be sorely missed when leaves and I wish the NFL had a few more like him.

In baseball, that guy is Jeter. I alwasy thought he was over-rated (and probably still think so a little), but I've also come to realize what a great player he's truly been, and I've developed a lot of respect and admiration for him.

So who are some of the athletes you've completely changed yor perception of throughout their careers?
    I was with ya up until Jeter. Dude is a massive tool. The way he hung Pay-Rod out to dry was the epitome of class.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Peyton Manning
    Ray Lewis
    Ichiro
    Greg Maddux
    What in the world made you gain respect for Ray Lewis???

Joe Montana and Larry Bird
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Reggie Miller.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Roger Staubach
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Actually I despised Pete Rose early on because I was young and my parents and grandparents didnt care for him. Later in Pete's career I really came to respect him for his work ethic and his overacheiving baseball career.

I still respect Pete as a player, but as a person, well thats another story
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Clemens
    Deion Sanders
    Bo Jackson
    John Smoltz
    Biggio
    Bagwell

Kobe Bryant

Marshall Faulk
    Donovan McNabb
    John Elway

Mark Messier
    Patrick Roy

I could make a list of actors and actresses too. Politicians. Teachers. Co-workers. Lots of people that took time to learn to appreciate.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I used to root against Jordan, but now I realize I was lucky to watch the greatest play the game.

Andre Agassi

He was a complete jerk who was full of himself when he first hit the tour. He did a 180 degree turnaround by the end of his career.

The only ones I could think of were tennis players. Jimmy Conners and John McEnroe. Maybe Magic Johnson somewhat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?