Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So, who is the sleeper?

So, who is the sleeper?

We've discussed the breakout players, the next stud, and ranking the big 4.

So who is the sleeper? Who is off the radar so much that he'll seemingly come out nowhere.

I'm going with two guys, both pitchers, both drafted the same year. Both are coming off injuries, and both are 25.

Richie Gardner and Thomas Pauly. Gardner had better success and at a higher level. He pitched really well at AA, not so well at AAA. He likely hit a wall in his recovery at AAA. He'll start for Louisville in 2008.

Pauly had a tougher time, but I gather he was more severrley injured than Gardner. His control hasn't come back, but it looks like his velo is close to where it was. 2008 will be a very telling year for both pitchers. I give the edge to Gardner. If he's fully recovered, last year went a long way towards building his stamina.
    Last edited by TRF; 12-21-2007 at 02:36 PM.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: So, who is the sleeper?

That's easy. He shouldn't be a sleeper but somehow he is--Evan Hildenbrandt.

I'll say Scott Carroll with his 6-foot-5, 220-pound frame

Wait, do we still have Pauly?

How about Tzu-Kai Chiu?

6 foot lefty from Taiwan. Put up a 47/8 K/BB ratio in 52 IP for the GCL Reds. No idea what the scouting report looks like other than reports of a mediocre fastball in the high 80's with a very good curve.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    Wait, do we still have Pauly?
    I think so, but maybe not. It would have to have been a rule V loss or a non-tender. But I think he's still in the org.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Is Carlos Fisher eligible at "sleeper"?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    If so, he's my choice.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Justin Reed is the first guy that jumped into my head.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    How about Tzu-Kai Chiu?

6 foot lefty from Taiwan. Put up a 47/8 K/BB ratio in 52 IP for the GCL Reds. No idea what the scouting report looks like other than reports of a mediocre fastball in the high 80's with a very good curve.
    I don't know whether to pick this guy or Justin Reed. Chiu throws six different pitches and was really putting it together over his last 10 games in the GCL.

Reed I like as a Denorfia-type player, except lefthanded.

Another guy that might surprise is Brett Bartles. If memory serves, he is a god-awful defender at 3B. However, he hit well for the GCL Reds and at Billings last season. He also seems to have decent speed, so he might be able to play a corner outfield spot.

I'll go with the CF Reed.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Dickerson after he starts taking some HGH and develops crazy Kenny lofton power!

Anybody holding out hope that Josh Ravin can figure out where the ball is going once he lets go of it? He's still a guy I'm interested in and his name is hardly mentioned anymore, If he can harness his stuff he could sneak way up the prospect rankings.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by summerplight View Post
    Anybody holding out hope that Josh Ravin can figure out where the ball is going once he lets go of it? He's still a guy I'm interested in and his name is hardly mentioned anymore, If he can harness his stuff he could sneak way up the prospect rankings.
    I am. If he can harness his stuff, look out.

Chris Valaika - if he stays healthy, will be a major league player.
    Right behind him is Justin Turner.

From *Baseclogger*

From OBM

If so, he's my choice.

I picked Fisher before picking Fisher was cool (last year). I'll stay with him.

If he doesn't qualify, I'll pick another guy that isn't on anyone's radar yet. Ben Jukich will emerge as a legit back of the rotation lefty prospect by the end of 2008.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?