Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does that mean we sign Cameron?

Re: Does that mean we sign Cameron?

I'm not sure if he's still on the market, but Kenny Lofton would make a great platoon partner with Norris Hopper. My guess is at 40 y.o. he might be willing to take a 1-year deal.

Here's the splits:

Lofton
    vs. RIGHT - .313/.386/.452

Hopper
    vs. LEFT - .386/.423/.492

Even if you don't think Hopper can repeat last years numbers, a .325 BA/.390 OBP in a platoon is definately reasonable. So I think the pair would give us a pretty impressive leadoff hitter, something we don't have. It's at least a better option than Cameron, and to be honest, I doubt Bruce would put up better numbers as a rookie. I'd like to see him get a full year in AAA to work on the K/BB ratio anyway.

In my fantasy world, we'd have a Lofton/Hopper platoon leading off, a Hatteberg/Keppinger platoon batting 2nd, and a Griffey/Mench platoon batting third. Follow that with Dunn, Phillips, EE, Gonzo and Ross. We also have enough arms in the farm system to make a move for a catcher with a stick. How does Maloney for Mike Redmond sound? Let Ross be a defensive replacement.

That kind of lineup could bat .290 as a team.
    Last edited by TN Red Fan; 12-22-2007 at 10:25 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TN Red Fan View Post
    I'm not sure if he's still on the market, but Kenny Lofton would make a great platoon partner with Norris Hopper. My guess is at 40 y.o. he might be willing to take a 1-year deal.

Here's the splits:

Lofton
    vs. RIGHT - .313/.386/.452

Hopper
    vs. LEFT - .386/.423/.492

Even if you don't think Hopper can repeat last years numbers, a .325 BA/.390 OBP in a platoon is definately reasonable. So I think the pair would give us a pretty impressive leadoff hitter, something we don't have. It's at least a better option than Cameron, and to be honest, I doubt Bruce would put up better numbers as a rookie. I'd like to see him get a full year in AAA to work on the K/BB ratio anyway.

In my fantasy world, we'd have a Lofton/Hopper platoon leading off, a Hatteberg/Keppinger platoon batting 2nd, and a Griffey/Mench platoon batting third. Follow that with Dunn, Phillips, EE, Gonzo and Ross. We also have enough arms in the farm system to make a move for a catcher with a stick. How does Maloney for Mike Redmond sound? Let Ross be a defensive replacement.

That kind of lineup could bat .290 as a team.
    How good is Lofton defensively? He's getting really old...

Quote Originally Posted by AdamDunn View Post
    How good is Lofton defensively? He's getting really old...
    I don't know, but he used to be one of the best, and he's still stealing bases like he did in his youth, so he's hasn't lost a step.

Alright, this is a pretty radical thought, but....... I can't help but wonder what kind of CF'er Keppinger would make. THe guy has to be athletic to be even average at SS (which he is). He seems to have a good arm from what I saw of at third last year too. I love the guy's bat; he seems like a great candidate for an in-house leadoff guy who, while not the superfast Hopper type, has great instincts and can swipe a base here and there..... Am I crazt here?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRed View Post
    Alright, this is a pretty radical thought, but....... I can't help but wonder what kind of CF'er Keppinger would make. THe guy has to be athletic to be even average at SS (which he is). He seems to have a good arm from what I saw of at third last year too. I love the guy's bat; he seems like a great candidate for an in-house leadoff guy who, while not the superfast Hopper type, has great instincts and can swipe a base here and there..... Am I crazt here?
    Kepp might be able to, but he would need to work on throwing strength, I really want to see someone in center who can throw people out alot.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

I'm all for Mike Cameron. He's a right-handed bat and a solid defensive centerfielder. Not to mention he won't cost much and won't take anything besides a 1 year deal since he's suspended for the beginning of the season. But I'd be satisfied with Hopper too. I think he can lead off well enough for this season.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRed View Post
    his range would end up being a problem just like it was when he was playing SS

Quote Originally Posted by 6-4-3 View Post
    How is a batter going to hit into a double play by making contact when there is 1 out and a runner on 3rd?
    It's been rehashed a thousand times, but here we go.

In the situation you mentioned, striking out is worse than other kinds of out. In other situations, like with 1 out and a guy on 1st, strikeouts are better than other types of outs (like double play groundballs). When you average it out across all possible situations, as numerous studies have done, the conclusion is that all types of outs are basically the same.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

I would welcome Mike Cameron back in a split second. Sign him to at least a two year deal to see if Adam Dunn wants to stay beyond 2008 or not. Griffey seems to be gone after 2008 unless he wants to renegotiate his option year for less $$$.

I think Cameron would hit well in GABP. Having his veteran presence in CF and his solid bat would be an asset for sure. I would much rather the Reds get MC than having him sign with one of our division foes.

Here are the remaining center fielders in FA:
    Mike Cameron (35) - Type B
    Jason Lane (31)
    Kenny Lofton (41) - Type B
    Corey Patterson (28)
    Alexei Ramirez (26)

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Here are the remaining center fielders in FA:
    Mike Cameron (35) - Type B
    Jason Lane (31)
    Kenny Lofton (41) - Type B
    Corey Patterson (28)
    Alexei Ramirez (26)
    Ramirez just signed with the White Sox...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Turn Off Ads?