Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So, after the Hamilton trade ...

Re: So, after the Hamilton trade ...

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    One thought here on Herrera. The Red's pen has potential to have a lot of hard throwers down the road. Cordero, Burton, Pelland, Roenicke, maybe one of the starter trio of Cueto, Bailey or Volquez may see time in the pen and even Coffey all live off the hard stuff. A soft tossing lefty with a trick pitch might be just the kind of different look that can keep hitters off balance and make all the others even more effective.

Good bullpens are built with good pitchers first and foremost, but how the pieces fit together and compliment each other is a factor in their effectiveness. Herrera could be just the guy to mess with the opposition's timing ahead of the hard throwers. I have to think its a factor in why WK would have wanted him ahead of any number of low level prospects that could have been the throw-in in this deal.
    Very savvy commentary, mth.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I've always thought that lefty screwballers were very interesting: there's Carl Hubbell, Tug McGraw, and Fernando Valenzuela. Jamie Moyer and John Franco have exceptional screwie changups. Spahn added a screwball late in his career, with great sucess.

Most threw a lot harder than Daniel Herrera. Color me intrigued, though. He's my new favorite minor leaguer.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Even AA and AAA need players. Not every guy can be a true prospect. The Lookouts still need a guy that can close a game out for them. Wins and success are still very important to those players and that team. Same for the Bats, and SaraReds and Dragons.
    I just don't understand the logic of not giving a dominant player the chance to test his stuff at a higher level. There is potential benefit in doing so and essentially zero cost involved. The only true cost is potential ego bruise taken by those who have predicted the player's failure. Unfortunately, at times that can idea can be blinding. It can make people ignore prospects like Kevin Youkilis or Jack Cust.

I don't think it's likely that Herrera or Guevara will ever be regular members of an MLB bullpen. However, I would certainly give them the opportunity to prove me wrong so long as they continue to seize the opportunities they are given. It certainly makes more sense giving these guys a first chance before giving a 5th to some 29 year old who has yet to capitalize on his previous 4... cough... Ricky Stone... cough.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 12-24-2007 at 01:04 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I just don't understand the logic of not giving a dominant player the chance to test his stuff at a higher level.
    Reds very rarely fail to give a pitcher a chance. If anything, there are too many opportunities in our organization for the ugly pitchers.

Mike Marshall was a little RHer with a screwball. I can't think of another. Christy Mathewson threw hard and didn't throw the pitch very often.

Mike Cuellar is another little lefty screwballer. Freddie Norman was a personal favorite of many on the board, I'll bet. Bill Lee and Willie Hernandez were big lefties.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    Reds very rarely fail to give a pitcher a chance. If anything, there are too many opportunities in our organization for the ugly pitchers.

Mike Marshall was a little RHer with a screwball. I can't think of another. Christy Mathewson threw hard and didn't throw the pitch very often.

Mike Cuellar is another little lefty screwballer. Freddie Norman was a personal favorite of many on the board, I'll bet. Bill Lee and Willie Hernandez were big lefties.
    Wow, a spaceman reference. It's been awhile since I heard his name.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?